The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

So many people are gonna hate and ridicule me for this, but I do believe in it...would appreciate genuine feedback too, constructive criticism, debate.

You would make it more boring and easier to defend

GLt6_QRW4AAJ4Di

Richard Masters spoke to both Houses in advance of Tuesday’s second reading of the Football Governance Bill. Warned of a “big risk” of an independent regulator. “Very few industries welcome additional regulation but it is here and we will continue to engage with it positively,” Masters said. “By any yardstick we are an incredibly successful industry. But it is not just the Premier League, right down through the pyramid, we have got fantastically successful leagues.

It [a regulator] is a first. We can't look to Germany or Spain or France and say, ‘Well, we can see it working’. “We are taking a big risk with a very successful industry and so we're asking MPs and Peers to look at the Bill very carefully and to look at it with a dispassionate head on and make sure that all of football benefits from it, and we don't bump into unintended consequences. “Football is successful because it has had investment, investment from all over the world coming into this country and investing on the pitch for fans to really enjoy. We don't want that to be choked off, we want for that model to continue.

“The regulator borrows prudential regulation from the financial services, and I can’t see a parallel between the football industry and the banking system. When you are tying up capital and tying up money that can no longer be invested, then you start to lock in the status quo. We have had 51 clubs in the Premier League. Brighton have come right the way through the system and are now playing in Europe - it is an aspirational system, all these things are great for football, we want clubs to come up and do well. “We have been negotiating with the EFL for over a year with a generous package on top of what we already do – and that remains in place.

We heard the EFL indicate if we did a deal they would want to unwind that and our clubs are very worried about there being a baseline for a renegotiation. We are now prioritising new financial regulation for the Premier League. I don’t want this backstop power to ever be used, it is unnecessary. Since 2007, we have been bilaterally agreeing more generous deals with the EFL and I would love that to continue. That’s my aspiration and hope. “In our current three-year cycle, £1.6bn is being distributed – 16 per cent of our revenues - all the way down to the National Leagues and grass roots. We support just about every aspect of the men’s game. The EFL are doing well commercially with new broadcast deals both domestically and internationally.

We believe their revenue will increase substantially in 2025/26, and we think that’s positive. There are lots of great things happening in the game and I would much prefer if the Premier League and EFL could come to an agreement itself without the use of the backstop power, which currently covers just solidarity payments. “Of course, there is a lot of debate about parachute payments. They are a vital component of the Premier League and the Championship – in the sense that if you want to be a competitive club coming up from the Championship then you need to know you will be financially supported on the way down. That’s why parachute payments are so important and must remain part of the sustainability tools that we have.

“We are asking for light touch, proportionate regulation. The backstop power needs to remain as it is. We need long-term certainty - you cannot underestimate how important that is. If the backstop power was to be renewable every three years, we would be in a perpetual state of negotiating and nobody would know where they stand, which could be deeply damaging to the game.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lowest premier league club makes over £100m in TV money alone. Is anyone spending £500m + a season?

Unless you're using income from the promoted clubs which generally isn't released until the following year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back