The on topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no better better than Lucas Paqueta and now he's gonna get banned.
Love how the statement says it's alleged and they've had 9 months to investigate.

Well no chance of him going to City whilst this continues I guess.

Love how the statement says it's alleged and they've had 9 months to investigate.

Well no chance of him going to City whilst this continues I guess.
They've alleged that he's committed an offence, its now up to a tribunal to determine if he's guilty or not.

As much as I like a good slagging off of the FA, I don't think they've said much wrong here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've alleged that he's committed an offence, its now up to a tribunal to determine if he's guilty or not.

As much as I like a good slagging off of the FA, I don't think they've said much wrong here.
They could have done that 9 months ago though really, they've dragged it out longer than they needed to. I think there was a deadline where they had to bring it forward this week for it to continue.

They could have done that 9 months ago though really, they've dragged it out longer than they needed to. I think there was a deadline where they had to bring it forward this week for it to continue.
Quite possible, although I guess they were gathering as much information to support their allegation as possible

I've only seen the foul on John McGinn. It looked intentional. It's not uncommon for players to leave one on their opponent but if it coincided with yellow card betting from the area of Brazil where Paqueta comes from then he could be in trouble.

If he's guilty of what he's alleged to have done he's an absolute idiot. He's on $250,000 every week. If he wanted to help his relatives he's got enough money that he could just give them some. He's killed a move to City where he would have doubled his salary and he's possibly ended his own career. Madness.

I've only seen the foul on John McGinn. It looked intentional. It's not uncommon for players to leave one on their opponent but if it coincided with yellow card betting from the area of Brazil where Paqueta comes from then he could be in trouble.

If he's guilty of what he's alleged to have done he's an absolute idiot. He's on $250,000 every week. If he wanted to help his relatives he's got enough money that he could just give them some. He's killed a move to City where he would have doubled his salary and he's possibly ended his own career. Madness.

Imagine if it were linked to the Macarthur players who got 10k to get a yellow card on purpose. Ironically one of them tried to get a yellow card but didn't. These guys were linked back to South America so who knows?

Difference is while Pacqueta is on $250,000 / week the Macarthur guys are on about 5k/ week. 10k is a lot for what seemed like to them just getting a yellow on purpose not affecting the outcome of the game.

Imagine if it were linked to the Macarthur players who got 10k to get a yellow card on purpose. Ironically one of them tried to get a yellow card but didn't. These guys were linked back to South America so who knows?

Difference is while Pacqueta is on $250,000 / week the Macarthur guys are on about 5k/ week. 10k is a lot for what seemed like to them just getting a yellow on purpose not affecting the outcome of the game.

'Career ending' probably has a similar impact for someone on $250,000/week as someone on $5k/week. $10k might sound like a lot but not compared to several lost seasons at $260k. Clayton Lewis has probably blown his chance of playing at a world cup. Then there's the possibility of being convicted of criminal charges that carry a maximum sentence of 10 years imprisonment.

'Career ending' probably has a similar impact for someone on $250,000/week as someone on $5k/week. $10k might sound like a lot but not compared to several lost seasons at $260k. Clayton Lewis has probably blown his chance of playing at a world cup. Then there's the possibility of being convicted of criminal charges that carry a maximum sentence of 10 years imprisonment.

I doubt that's going to be the case for the Macarthur players. Surely it is better for the coppers to work with them to find out who's running the show. First time offender, didn't actually place a bet on a game, can't see a conviction being likely. It wasn't for Ivan Toney either who bet on acutal games in the PL and even his own team I believe.

The burden of proof on this will be very high with a potential 10 year ban and criminal charges.

I can't see that suspicious betting activity in his hometown and a tackle that looks intentional will be enough to convict. Whether the FA has anything more, who knows?

I doubt that's going to be the case for the Macarthur players. Surely it is better for the coppers to work with them to find out who's running the show. First time offender, didn't actually place a bet on a game, can't see a conviction being likely. It wasn't for Ivan Toney either who bet on acutal games in the PL and even his own team I believe.

Toney did bet on some Brentford games. He only bet on them to lose in games when he wasn't playing ie he couldn't influence the result.

Deliberately getting a yellow card is seen a more serious because it's in-game spot-fixing. It can influence the results of games. Paqueta's foul on McGinn came 30 seconds after a foul on Douglas Luiz. It looked intentional. A player on a yellow has to restrict himself. Or in this case West Ham's best player was soon subbed off. It's a pretty standard move to sub a player on a yellow but he stormed down the tunnel. Was the plan to get another yellow? In the Leicester game that is part of the allegations he was already on a yellow when he did a slide tackle from behind on Ndidi. He was lucky (or maybe unlucky) to stay on the field.

Football players betting on football, jockeys betting on races etc is not illegal in itself, it is just outside the rules of football / racing. Obviously there would be a line with regards to betting on / against your team and influencing that but the majority of players / jockeys that get done for betting aren't doing that.

Taking cash to influence a result / spot fix is much more serious.

You have to feel for those players that were paid to get a yellow card, tried their hardest to get one but failed to do so.

I imagine they would have received an unfriendly visit demanding a refund on their "bonus" payment. So end up with nothing but still on the hook for potential spot fixing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back