The Scotch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is definitely the night to bump this thread.

Three choices tonight: Guardian's Chapter, Lagavullin or Ballantines 17.

Decisions...

I know its not scotch but I might dig into a Jamesons 12 yo or a Glenlivet 18 tonight, especially given i've got an RDO tomorrow as well so long weekend for me!

Tried a Glen Grant Major's Reserve last night. Very nice for an under $50 single malt. Smooth and light and easy to drink half a bottle without realising.

Had a bottle of Spey River 8 year old recently. Was nice but probably won't chase up a second. Am now trying the same in a 12 year old & am finding it rather pleasant!
Mind though, Taliska has become the standard I compare different scotches with.
This 12yo doesn't have that glorious peaty flavour of Taliska but does have a pleasant charcoal / oak flavour. For the price it is worth a taste or two.

Incidentally, I'm heading to Scotland next month!

Very excited. Planning to spend a couple of days on Islay at least.

Incidentally, I'm heading to Scotland next month!

Very excited. Planning to spend a couple of days on Islay at least.

Hope you enjoy your time there, I know if I had the chance I'd definitely look up the "Talisker" distillery as I probably wouldn't find the Taliska one, & if I did I'd probably not enjoy their product as much.

Hope you enjoy your time there, I know if I had the chance I'd definitely look up the "Talisker" distillery as I probably wouldn't find the Taliska one, & if I did I'd probably not enjoy their product as much.

http://imgur.com/a/1LRmb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Talisker. Mostly I drink it if I'm near a beach somewhere. Tastes even better in the salt air.

Actually went for something I hadn't tried before last night. The Glenmorangie Quinto Ruban, which I believe is just Glenmorangie matured in Port casks.

And surprisingly enough, it tastes a lot like Port. Or at least has a very strong aroma. Not brilliant but definitely interesting.

Had a bucks party on the Gold Coast on Friday night and bought a bottle of Talisker. You were absolutely right about it being great in salty air.

Went off camping a bit last week and ran dry with what I took with me (Speyside 12 year old) so dropped in at BWS at Rockhampton & picked up a bottle of Glen Moray, nothing about age marked on it, but it's another from the Spey region so I thought why not, besides the bloke behind the counter reckoned Johnnie Walker Red was a good drop & they had stuff all else.
Long story short, it's better than Johnnie Walker Red, but I would probably only buy it again if the only other option was Johnnie Walker Red. Drinking it straight has a mild flavour with a fair alcoholic kick & I thought it went better with a few bits of ice.

Just saw this thread mentioned in one of the threads on the main Lions board, so I decided to have a dig :)

Despite the list I'll put below, I don't drink a huge amount. And if I'm brutally honest I haven't really developed my tasting ability much just yet - but when I get into a new hobby or passion I tend to obsess more than just a bit, and that can lead to just unnecessarily collecting. It turns out scotch is one of those things based on being told about amazing tastes, or sampling them elsewhere - though to be fair I have received gifts along the way.

My current collection is:

- Glenmorangie Signet (gift from the wife for my 30th)
- Talisker Distillers Edition 2000 - Bottled 2011
- Lagavaulin 16YO
- Oban 14YO
- Cragganmore 12YO
- Glenkinchie 12YO
- Dalwhinnie 15YO (I actually have two bottles of this, I bought 2 more for my wedding reception for my boys at the bridal table, but we only ended up going through one bottle that night)
- Glenfiddich 12YO (gift from the wife for... Valentine's day a few years back I think? This one started it all)
- Lark Single Cask Port Barrel, bottled 2014 (Chrissie gift from the in-laws)
- Johnnie Walker Explorers Club Edition The Spice Road (random gift from my old house mate)
- Johnnie Walker Red Label

The Walkers, specifically the Red Label is probably the most odd one out of the mostly single malt group. On a trip to the bottle shop for Australia Day my wife stops me at the door:
"If you spend more than $50 we get 1000 flybuys points with this voucher!"
"But I was only going to get a 6-pack..."
"Just spend more than $50 please?! I'd like more points."

I mean who could argue with that logic. Another bottle of scotch it was. I decided I'd now start collecting the Walker range while I was in the store. On reflection I should've bought some more gin, that I am actually running quite low of. Besides, I've now run into a slightly awkward (awesome or awkward, I haven't truly decided) position where 4 of these bottles don't actually fit into our liquor cabinet, which is now completely stuffed full and branching into the space between "the good dinner plates". The Signet box is just badass, so it sits proudly on display up next to my car keys and wallet, but the other 3 are all wedged in the corner of under the kitchen bench against the wall.

I haven't cracked them all yet, but my favourites so far have been the Talisker, which is just smokey beyond smokey, and the Signet - which the longer you hold that one, the more complex and incredible the flavours get. They're simply incredible. The Spice Road isn't bad either, though I tend to mix that with Coke more often than not.

Well I've read the above a few times now & all I can work out is that's way too much for any one person to drink on their lonesome, so I'm offering a friendly helping hand, just to make a bit of room for the "good" plates!:D

In Hobart last week and took in the Salamanca Nant whisky cellar and bar. Took in the $35 x 3 samples tasting. The final of the 3 to taste was the Bourbon Wood 63% and blitzed the other 2 for sheer quality of smoothness and complexity of flavour. After asking the price, at $325 I decided to give it a miss. Worth anyone's time to go and do that tasting if fortunate to be in the area.

In Hobart last week and took in the Salamanca Nant whisky cellar and bar. Took in the $35 x 3 samples tasting. The final of the 3 to taste was the Bourbon Wood 63% and blitzed the other 2 for sheer quality of smoothness and complexity of flavour. After asking the price, at $325 I decided to give it a miss. Worth anyone's time to go and do that tasting if fortunate to be in the area.

Apparently, because I've not had the chance to compare, some of the Tasie boutique scotch's are included i among the worlds finest & most expensive!

Apparently, because I've not had the chance to compare, some of the Tasie boutique scotch's are included i among the worlds finest & most expensive!
I think you will also find that since the Sullivan's Cove drop won/was voted the 2014 worlds best single malt, the majority of Tassie distilleries have self suggested by upping their purchase price, that they should all be grouped in the same boat - sadly [IMO] they are not.

Must be something in the water down there though - Along with Salamanca, Lark won some decent awards in 2014:

International Whisky Competition Chicago 2014
Lark Single Malt Whisky (90%), Best World Whisky - Gold Medal
Lark Distiller's Edition (92%), Best World Whisky - Gold Medal
Lark Cask Strength, Best Cask Strength Whisky - Gold Medal

Royal Melbourne Fine Spirits / Foods Awards 2014 - Australian Distilled Spirits & Liqueurs Competition
Lark Distillery - Australian Distillery of the Year Trophy 2014
Lark ‘Cask Strength’ 58% - National Champion Whisky Trophy 2014

http://www.larkdistillery.com.au/awards

At risk of stating the obvious, Nant have a couple of whiskey bars in Brisbane, and one in Melbourne too. :D

Also for Melbourne-ites http://www.whiskyandale.com.au/menu/ with a list of 500 whiskies available on request at the bar

http://www.sullivanscovewhisky.com/component/k2/item/169-the-worlds-best-single-malt-whisky

If you haven't yet heard the news, Sullivans Cove Whisky has been named best single malt at the prestigious World Whisky Awards in London.
Our French Oak Cask took out the honour, judged against more than 300 other whiskies and it is the first time a Tasmanian distillery has won the award, which has been dominated by Scottish and Japanese distilleries. This is probably the world's biggest award you can win for whiskies and the team here is over the moon with excitement!
The winning barrel is HH0525 and we have three bottles here that are safely tucked away, two we will keep in our Archive for future reference the fate of the third bottle is still up in the air at this stage. Only 516 bottles were made, so they are pretty valuable now!

- Please Note - personally I don't currently rate any whisky in my top 5 preferred 'bevies' mainly because I have never been a huge partaker of but... with minimal arm twisting I just might be able to slowly/cautiously expand my knowledge!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back