The sport has a new fan from Holland

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello all, i am lucky to come to this great country for a vacation.
one of the first things that i did in my first week was visiting the game fremantle - Melbourne in the optus stadium.

it was a great experience. I love sports, played soccer myself and now enjoy cycling. But afl is new for me.
i enjoyed the game so much that i wanted to see another game before i go back to europe.

as i will stay in Melbourne as well, i have bought tickets for carlton vs collingwood. Really looking forward to my second live game.

although i do not understand all the details in the game i now know the basics.

seems that the carlton collingwood game has a rich history. Very curious to see what that brings to the atmosphere in the mcg and
how many spectators will show up.

So, Dutchfan, what did you think? It was an awesome game, hope you enjoyed it, and the atmosphere. There are several times during a season that there are potentially 75,000+ crowds, yesterday's was 89,000 ish.

So, Dutchfan, what did you think? It was an awesome game, hope you enjoyed it, and the atmosphere. There are several times during a season that there are potentially 75,000+ crowds, yesterday's was 89,000 ish.
I am a real sportsfan. Started from european soccer, but love cycling, formula 1, olympic games, nba basketball etc. I have seen a lot of live, including the worldcup soccer final in Africa in 2010 between Spain and my country.

But I will remember the game of yesterday for the rest of my live. What a crowd, what a game, what an atmosphere and what an end!! And I love that the fans of both teams are sitting next to each other and nothing happens. When we do does with soccer in the Netherlands it will be fights all over the place.

I would have loved to stay to see some more afl live action.

I am a real sportsfan. Started from european soccer, but love cycling, formula 1, olympic games, nba basketball etc. I have seen a lot of live, including the worldcup soccer final in Africa in 2010 between Spain and my country.

But I will remember the game of yesterday for the rest of my live. What a crowd, what a game, what an atmosphere and what an end!! And I love that the fans of both teams are sitting next to each other and nothing happens. When we do does with soccer in the Netherlands it will be fights all over the place.

How do you reckon the passion compares to that of European soccer crowds?

How do you reckon the passion compares to that of European soccer crowds?
I don’t think it differs that much. Two things that i see different is that there is more singing from fans during soccer. Especially in England. Where as during afl games you sit next to a fan of your opponent. That would not be possible with european soccer in most games.

Attending a game like yesterday for one of your first games is similar to winning big the first time you gamble. That's how you develop an addiction!

What a f***ing amazing game to go to as your second AFL match and a newcomer to the sport.

Hope you enjoyed it - it was amazing to watch as someone who doesn’t even HATE either club let alone like them so I had no real stake in the game aside from my best mate being a Bulldogs fan who was desperate for them to scrape through. I was on the edge of my seat at Home: you must have been just about airborne.

Hope you and your son enjoyed and can get back out here again.

PS. Those hot chip outlets in Amsterdam with the sauces are the greatest takeaway places in the world. And I know my takeaway food

dutchfan, if you haven't bought the WatchAFL pass yet, the cheapest way to do it is actually through the AFL Canada membership.

It's technically a Geelong membership, which is unfortunate, but it's only $145 for the year (about 100 euros).
Thank you. Was still looking for the best option. This one is definitely the best price i’ve seen. Thanks

First time to see the game from my home. Enjoyed the Geelong-Collingwood match. It felt to me that this game was a much higher level than Fremantle - Western Bulldogs. But with only 3 games seen in total i’m no expert 😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back