The Sportswashing mega thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, you said we would never have had Qatar. And yet lo and behold...

There's a big difference between buying off a 24 man commiteee and buying off the entire world.

How do you propose Saudi Arabia buys Israel's vote. I'd be interested to see how you believe this would work.

There are plenty of countries that simply won't vote for Saudi Arabia no matter what kickbacks are offered up.

Good luck getting Israel to vote for them for example. And Israel have considerable influence among other UEFA members and who they vote for.
The US is brokering a deal NOW between Saudi and Israel where the US is being completely bent over. They will vote for Saudi as will all US allies bar Australia and New Zealand.

If the hosting comes down to Australia / NZ or Saudi Arabia hosting a mid season world cup I'm happy to put 100 pounds down now on England voting for Australia / NZ. Long term bet hahaha.

Before you accept you might want to see what Scudamore tried to do with Qatar 2022. And thats a tournament that the FA had no say on.
Scudamore? Saudi goes straight to the PM just like they did with Newcastle.

The US is brokering a deal NOW between Saudi and Israel where the US is being completely bent over. They will vote for Saudi as will all US allies bar Australia and New Zealand.

Scudamore? Saudi goes straight to the PM just like they did with Newcastle.

Israel will never ever vote for Saudi Arabia in anything when the other option is Australia (a major ally).

It really is lunacy to suggest otherwise. It just will not happen. Ever. It's a bit like suggesting North Korea would ever vote for South Korea in anything. Israel has huge political influence also.

Also, you are now saying Saudis need to go over the head of football associations to leaders of countries to get votes. As well as convince UEFA nations that they'll have to compromise their season. As well as buy 111 votes. +.

It's starting to sound unlikely.

If we are smart we'd go for an Aus/NZ/China bid. China has way more clout than the Saudis.

Israel will never ever vote for Saudi Arabia in anything when the other option is Australia (a major ally).

It really is lunacy to suggest otherwise. It just will not happen. Ever. It's a bit like suggesting North Korea would ever vote for South Korea in anything. Israel has huge political influence also.

Also, you are now saying Saudis need to go over the head of football associations to leaders of countries to get votes. As well as convince UEFA nations that they'll have to compromise their season. As well as buy 111 votes. +.

It's starting to sound unlikely.

If we are smart we'd go for an Aus/NZ/China bid. China has way more clout than the Saudis.
Ok mate just wait and see. Saudi influence is pretty much unparalleled and grows stronger.

The only thing that matters to FIFA is cash and lots of it. Human rights is a small inconvenience for them that gets the PR treatment and spin. If the Saudi’s want to host the 2034 WC they will. There is no ‘bidding process’, it’s all bullshit. The script has already been written. Hopefully we don’t get sucked into this sham. It’ll probably be a joint bid (not sure who) to give it some sort of legitimacy and credibility. They will pay off the various leagues to have it in Nov/Dec just like the Qataris did. Problems and issues tend go away with $$$$. I went to Qatar and it was awesome. The climate was perfect, the football top shelf, the people so friendly and welcoming, the logistics first rate and yes you could easily get a drink. The Saudi’s will no doubt put on a spectacular WC. Mega wealthy Arab nations all want to outdo each other. The whole world is basically paid off and corrupt.

The only thing that matters to FIFA is cash and lots of it. Human rights is a small inconvenience for them that gets the PR treatment and spin. If the Saudi’s want to host the 2034 WC they will. There is no ‘bidding process’, it’s all bullshit. The script has already been written. Hopefully we don’t get sucked into this sham. It’ll probably be a joint bid (not sure who) to give it some sort of legitimacy and credibility. They will pay off the various leagues to have it in Nov/Dec just like the Qataris did. Problems and issues tend go away with $$$$. I went to Qatar and it was awesome. The climate was perfect, the football top shelf, the people so friendly and welcoming, the logistics first rate and yes you could easily get a drink. The Saudi’s will no doubt put on a spectacular WC. Mega wealthy Arab nations all want to outdo each other. The whole world is basically paid off and corrupt.

They didn't pay off the leagues for Qatar 22.

The original bid had them hosting the tournament in June / July. None of the leagues voted either - just the 24 man FIFA Exco.

I would say Qatar 22 bid mid season definitely would not have happened with the current voting system from 211 member nations.

Ok mate just wait and see. Saudi influence is pretty much unparalleled and grows stronger.

It is far reaching.

Not as far reaching as Israel though. A nation that Saudi Arabia officially does not recognise. Israel voting for Saudi in anything would see riots in the streets for sure.

Unless Saudi officially changes its policy on Israel there's 0.00001% chance of them voting for them over us.

I'm happy to put 100 pounds down now that if the scenario is Australia 2034 vs Saudi 2034 played mid UEFA season Israel will vote for us.

I'm good for it I won't welch.

It is far reaching.

Not as far reaching as Israel though. A nation that Saudi Arabia officially does not recognise. Israel voting for Saudi in anything would see riots in the streets for sure.

Unless Saudi officially changes its policy on Israel there's 0.00001% chance of them voting for them over us.

I'm happy to put 100 pounds down now that if the scenario is Australia 2034 vs Saudi 2034 played mid UEFA season Israel will vote for us.

I'm good for it I won't welch.
I was referencing Saudis ability to influence all nation states, not just Israel. Saudi are likely to recognise Israel and are negotiating on the matter with the US at the moment.

European nations simply won't vote for it no matter the money on offer, they won't compromise another season. East Asian nations won't. They'll only be able to buy votes from potentially South American associations and poorer nations from the second and third world. The only real support they'll get will be from fellow nations in the Middle East.

FIFA cuts funding to enough European and Asian countries with a hush hush agreement that their vote goes to Saudi Arabia. Problem solved.

As if FIFA wouldn’t be scummy enough not to do it.

I’m hoping even if we do get a joint bid an Australian city misses out and the afl and nrl relocate there for the duration.

It would be freakin awesome gather round on speed

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone thinks a 211 nation vote can’t be bought, look at the UN General Assembly. Happens all the time. Saudis will pay off the African nations, Central Asia, the Caribbean and probably the OFC. That’ll get them to 80 odd without most of CONCACAF or any of UEFA.

Ironically enough Australia will probably need to court Iran and China to use their influence against the Saudis, which I doubt.

If anyone thinks a 211 nation vote can’t be bought, look at the UN General Assembly. Happens all the time. Saudis will pay off the African nations, Central Asia, the Caribbean and probably the OFC. That’ll get them to 80 odd without most of CONCACAF or any of UEFA.

Ironically enough Australia will probably need to court Iran and China to use their influence against the Saudis, which I doubt.

Nobody will touch Iran as things stand.

Aus/China/NZ is a winner. We need China onboard to counter the Saudis.

Think this time round we have better relations with FIFA after the unprecedented success of Women's WC 2023. We won't be getting involved unless we are hosting pretty much.

I was referencing Saudis ability to influence all nation states, not just Israel. Saudi are likely to recognise Israel and are negotiating on the matter with the US at the moment.

Hahahaha oh dear.

There is literally 0% chance Israel or any ally of Israel votes for Saudi Arabia in anything.

Saudis could put 2 trillion on the table and it wouldn't change a thing.

Hahahaha oh dear.

There is literally 0% chance Israel or any ally of Israel votes for Saudi Arabia in anything.

You seem to be on this Israel and USA will never vote for Saudi Arabia thing. Yes, they won’t. But they also have one vote each. So that’s two votes that won’t go to Saudi Arabia. It pretty much means nothing when over 200 votes will be made.

Last edited:
Hahahaha oh dear.

Why would the US not vote for Saudi?

You seem to be on this Israel and USA will never vote for Saudi Arabia thing. Yes, they won’t. But they also have one vote each. So that’s two votes that won’t go to Saudi Arabia. It pretty much means nothing when over 200 votes will be made.

That's true. Israel has far more influence over UEFA than Saudis do though. Plenty of those countries rely on Israel for military tech. Lots of large Jewish communities all through Europe. How do you think it plays out when it becomes public their football association is voting for Saudi Arabia?

Especially with the Saudis doubling down and supporting Hamas.

And as I said previously Saudi would just buy their way into UEFA if it was possible. Some things money can't buy.

I think we'll only put a bid in if we're a pretty good chance of winning. The existing relationship from Women's WC2023 helps greatly.

That's true. Israel has far more influence over UEFA than Saudis do though. Plenty of those countries rely on Israel for military tech. Lots of large Jewish communities all through Europe. How do you think it plays out when it becomes public their football association is voting for Saudi Arabia?

And as I said previously Saudi would just buy their way into UEFA if it was possible. Some things money can't buy.

I think we'll only put a bid in if we're a pretty good chance of winning. The existing relationship from Women's WC2023 helps greatly.

Mate, we are all rooting for you to be right and Australia to get the World Cup. If not Australia, there are better options than another sportswashers World Cup.

Indonesia have now switched and are supporting the Saudi bid rather than joining ours and hosting some games. Seems to be pretty much done that Saudi are getting it now, they've bought out most of the Asian countries before we've even put a bid in.

Indonesia have now switched and are supporting the Saudi bid rather than joining ours and hosting some games. Seems to be pretty much done that Saudi are getting it now, they've bought out most of the Asian countries before we've even put a bid in.
very predictable unfortunately.

Wholly unsurprising that Indonesia would support Saudi. They never switched, they were always going to support them.

They never were going to be part of a Australia / NZ bid anyway and they have strong political connections with both bring Muslim nations.

Saudi has little support in East Asia.

But the biggest obstacle isn't AFC nations it is UEFA nations accepting a compromised season.

If Australia / NZ / China bid that's a winner.

The Sportswashing mega thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back