The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why I see the project getting the go ahead. If Labour sinks the AFL team dream for the state, they will be forever open to being accused of an anti-development platform and will remain in the political wilderness for the foreseeable future. No one wants to be known as the ones who killed the state's AFL dream.

"But there's also a hard refusal within the Labor camp to cop the blame if Tasmania's footy dreams are dashed. If it's going to fall over, the Opposition wants it to be because of the government's actions and not because Labor refused to support the stadium."

Reading that it appears the tide may be turning for the better.

It’s strange this is the only labor government in the country against major construction projects. All the other Labor run states ram through their major construction projects regardless of backlash and cost blowouts

I am guessing CMFEU in Tasmania aren’t as closely aligned with labor as they are interstate
SA Labor won an election last year campaigning against a CBD indoor sports/entertainment venue linked to the current convention centre (or basketball stadium as they called it, I guess that was an easier target).

Used similar rhetoric to what Tasmanian Labor have been putting out, saying they'd spend that money on health as well and the Libs have their priorities wrong, etc.

SA Labor won an election last year campaigning against a CBD indoor sports/entertainment venue linked to the current convention centre (or basketball stadium as they called it, I guess that was an easier target).

Used similar rhetoric to what Tasmanian Labor have been putting out, saying they'd spend that money on health as well and the Libs have their priorities wrong, etc.

They can say that but the budget saw a massive increase in the health budget & social housing,. Health is now 35% of the total budget.

The stadium will cost the Tasmanian taxpayer $375million or perhaps more. Certainly not the $billion the naysayers are grizzling about. It will be a 50year asset & represents a tiny amount of taxpayer monies over that time.

The Noers are a disparate mob with all sorts of reason for opposing it. Mainly that they want everything spent on health & housing (ignoring record spending on health, also depite the fact this is an infrastructure spend so will never be put into health or housing), to the big bad AFL are ripping us off (ignoring the $15million into the stadium & $360million over a decade) to political bastardry (ALP wiping up parochial attitudes from local politic

Its all about cost, nothing about economic & social benefits for the next 50years or so.

The Yes campaign is ramping up using facts about economic & social benefit.

The pressure is on labor. If the do end this, they will end it forever & will pay for that backstabbing effort.

Interesting, was that their main campaign platform or just a side issue. As SA already has two AFL clubs and great sporting/entertainment venues I think that's an apples and oranges kind of thingy.

Interesting, was that their main campaign platform or just a side issue. As SA already has two AFL clubs and great sporting/entertainment venues I think that's an apples and oranges kind of thingy.

Maybe it was more ramping but they used the arena as a major vector of attack, a lot of posters around with deflated basketballs around, like this.

1685866799527.jpeg

SA Labor also campaigned with bringing back the Adelaide 500 Supercars race

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I signed.

Good luck Tassie, yous deserve a team and a nice stadium to put them in.
Its really about giving the team the best start & ability to sustain itself. The AFL know it, we know it.

The people who hate, don't care about anyone else. They lie to justify their position.

92,000 supported a team in a local pol. In a month 13000 have joined the FB YES campaign.

Its really about giving the team the best start & ability to sustain itself. The AFL know it, we know it.

The people who hate, don't care about anyone else. They lie to justify their position.

92,000 supported a team in a local pol. In a month 13000 have joined the FB YES campaign.

100 percent. The people who complain are the people who hate that other people enjoy things.

I just wonder.

Could this be the chance for Fed Labor to realistically have a shot at taking back the seat of Clark. That would be good news for a stadium if Wilkie becomes reachable if he continues on his current path of supporting nothing.

I think the gap is way too large with a lot of water to go under the bridge first, but food for thought.

I just wonder.

Could this be the chance for Fed Labor to realistically have a shot at taking back the seat of Clark. That would be good news for a stadium if Wilkie becomes reachable if he continues on his current path of supporting nothing.

I think the gap is way too large with a lot of water to go under the bridge first, but food for thought.
I don't think Wilkie is relevant. He is federal and has no say in whether the stadium is built or not.

I don't think Wilkie is relevant. He is federal and has no say in whether the stadium is built or not.
everything is relevant. Labor would love to retake Clark and prevent it from going to independent/Green.

Makes them more likely to support the stadium, and support the stae libs, if they smell blood.

Anyone going to the 1st of July Tassie v Qlds match at NHO. From the facebook group "Say YES to the stadium", they are promoting this match as a show of support for the stadium. For me, that sounds like a fantastic idea. Much better than a stupid rally where you sing stupid songs, listen to boring people talk and arts + crafts. Go down, pay some money and then watch a good game of footy(hopefully).

Me and several friends, who dont often watch any local footy, are going to showcase our support for the stadium and hopefully a good watch. The fact it is a NHO, ala close to the city centre, makes it so much easier to attend. Kinda the whole point why this new stadium has to happen.

This is how desperate the anti-stadium/alternate Macq Point group have become.
Check out what they have created to show what stadium would look like from Sullivan's Cove. They've just plonked down a big old concrete block into a photo. (photo at bottom of page)
They have seriously embarrassed themselves here.

Our Place has proposed an alternative, stadium-free vision for Macquarie Point​

The group proposing a stadium-free vision for Macquarie Point have unveiled an artist’s impression to show the stadium as a blight on Hobart’s famous waterfront.
The image based on the government’s measurements will be used in a month-long billboard campaign in North Hobart and Glenorchy.

However Premier Jeremy Rockliff has labelled the image a “scare tactic”.

Our Place enlisted former president of the Tasmanian Chapter of the Australian Institute of Architects Shamus Mulcahy to create the digitally-rendered image.

The image shows the stadium looming over Hunter Street.

In a professional opinion released with the image, Mr Mulcahy said the image showed what a 40m high, 240m long stadium would look like when viewed from Victoria Dock near Mures.

“The visual impact from many other parts of Hobart will be significantly worse with the stadium more dominant in viewlines,” he said.

Mr Mulcahy said a stadium would only just fit the site, and would leave no meaningful space for any of the precinct projects the Tasmanian government has said will be built on the site and the federal government says it is funding.

A neutral concrete colour was chosen for the image in the absence of any detailed design from the government.

“The government in its documents uses the Melbourne Marvel (Docklands) Stadium as its key reference. If the final stadium were to resemble Marvel Stadium in its finishes and styling the visual impact on Sullivans Cove would be considerably worse than this render,” Mr Mulcahy said.

Celebrated architect Robert Morris-Nunn, who designed the Henry Jones and Mac 1 hotels on Hunter St, said the image showed the stadium would be a “travesty”.

“Hobart’s Sullivans Cove is the epicentre of Hobart’s historic precinct and everything that is designed within it has to follow strict guidelines, especially with regards to building height and overall form. It’s therefore an absolute complete travesty when the massive bulk of the new stadium is able to intrude so grossly into a very sensitive area that everyone else is working hard to respect,” Professor Morris-Nunn said.
Author Richard Flanagan said the image would allow Tasmanians to judge whether they thought inner city Hobart was the right site for a stadium.

“Jeremy Rockliff promised the Sydney Opera House but instead he’s going to build the Berlin Wall,” Flanagan said.

In state parliament Greens leader Cassy O’Connor asked Premier Jeremy Rockliff to come clean over the stadium design, saying the stadium would be double the height of Hunter St’s iconic buildings.

Mr Rockliff said anti-stadium campaigners were using scare tactics.

He said the stadium was yet to be designed, with the government working towards an iconic development of which Tasmanians could be proud.

“We are just at the very beginning of a process,” Mr Rockliff said.

Our Place’s alternative vision of Macquarie Point includes thousands of homes, a new state library, a swimming pool fed by the Hobart Rivulet, a truth and reconciliation park and a light rail hub

Attachments

• a6d56539d3b34478496f10a44762eddc.jpg
    a6d56539d3b34478496f10a44762eddc.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 37
Back