The Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Camp sites booked for our Carnarvon Gorge great walk, only small downside is we will be in the middle of the Gorge and off grid for our game at the MCG against the Demons in round 15.

We had a great time on our trek, 5 days and around 100km over many elevation changes both up and down with multiple creek crossings, one particular climb of about 1 hour was only doable on all 4s and felt very dangerous in parts, I couldn't imagine doing a much steeper climb without ropes. It was very challenging both physically and psychologically, having to carry your own camping gear, water and food for the trip was hard, we had to purify the water as we went, the below zero temperatures in the early mornings was also an obstacle to overcome. I was in awe of my 14 year old grandsons perseverance, determination, good humour and sense of adventure for the whole trip.

PXL_20220622_061239484 (1).jpg
My room with a view >
PXL_20220621_054504974 (1).jpg
My grandson and I, it was a bloody hard climb >
PXL_20220619_015105983.MP.jpg PXL_20220618_215000559 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Looks amazing Mr Malice - what an adventure with your grandson.

Do the walking poles make a huge difference?

Looks amazing Mr Malice - what an adventure with your grandson.

Do the walking poles make a huge difference?
Walking poles make a HUGE difference, it's all to do with losing your balance, with an approx 15 kilo backpack on if you stumble the weight just takes you over, with the poles you have much more control.

Camp sites booked for our Carnarvon Gorge great walk, only small downside is we will be in the middle of the Gorge and off grid for our game at the MCG against the Demons in round 15.
Turns out that wasn't a huge downside! ;)

Walking poles make a HUGE difference, it's all to do with losing your balance, with an approx 15 kilo backpack on if you stumble the weight just takes you over, with the poles you have much more control.
Oh yeah I love my walking poles,you can just get into this amazing rythym with them.

I find myself going much faster than normal and they're also great for taking pressure off my dodgy knee.

Oh yeah I love my walking poles,you can just get into this amazing rythym with them.

I find myself going much faster than normal and they're also great for taking pressure off my dodgy knee.
Even a random bamboo stick can be invaluable. Otherwise would have struggled to make it through a day trek in Sapa Vietnam recently. Still fell over a few times 😆

Attachments

• A83ADA43-093E-4C69-B5F5-C3E73564F71E.jpeg
    A83ADA43-093E-4C69-B5F5-C3E73564F71E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
  • D2673BEC-FBF1-4B80-8799-E92F66C0AC95.jpeg
    D2673BEC-FBF1-4B80-8799-E92F66C0AC95.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
The View from home in Ho Chi Minh.

(Actually we’re in Thu Duc - basically the south side of the Saigon Bridge is Ho Chi Minh City and the north side is Thu Duc city, 16 million people in about one third the area of greater Brisbane)

999D27BB-BFBE-4A91-A28F-417256DB2443.jpeg B9284505-9FAD-4398-B982-EB75AB8393FF.jpeg 1AB0E080-D837-4D64-93F4-B1F1595094C6.jpeg

The locally made VinFast car. If you own an electric version, you get a free garage and charging station in our complex.

If you own a petrol/diesel car, you have to pay for your garage. A1252D25-F67F-4EA6-B9D3-A3D7D911AA27.jpeg ED014B7F-E024-4859-BCE7-B28F31A6C5EF.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That looks amazing briztoon. Nowhere near as exciting, but I am here:
16262BC4-2325-4915-B004-D976B149A435.jpeg
I like to get out of Melbourne and spend a week or so in Sydney every now and again. It’s a great city.

All booked in to do the South Coast Trek in Tasmania, fly out the day after the Demons game in round 2 at the Gabba and back in time for the Easter Thursday game v the Pies.

Pretty remote part of South West Tassie, light plane flight to the start of the trek, 6 nights of camping, numerous creek crossings including 1 where you have to row across.

South-Coast-Track-1200x630.jpg

Hopefully you'll strike some good weather for the walk... can snow all read around in that region but it looks like your on the coast.
Every trek I have done over the last 5 years has been blessed with great weather, some very cold and some snow in New Zealand but nothing to complain about, what I would dread is persistent heavy rain. Apparently the South Coast Trek is prone to that and can get very muddy.

Got back from Tassie this afternoon.. South Coast Track was quite easily the hardest tracking I have ever done, mud mud mud, wind, rain, steep up and downs and dangerous.

I will post some photos next week when my son gets back from his added on break with his wife down in Tassie, that is the luxury part of his holiday.

Got back from Tassie this afternoon.. South Coast Track was quite easily the hardest tracking I have ever done, mud mud mud, wind, rain, steep up and downs and dangerous.

I will post some photos next week when my son gets back from his added on break with his wife down in Tassie, that is the luxury part of his holiday.
You didn’t miss much as far as the footy is concerned, this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back