The Victorian Government - Masters of the Lockdown Playbook

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Sttew it's handy that Victoria mastered the lockdown playbook now that every other state in the country is doing the same thing.

Also great to see Scomo decide to push out AZ vaccine to more people, but curious as to why he didn't suggest it when it was just Victoria in lockdown, wonder why that is?
The other states have a long way to go to catch up with VIC, lockdown days wise.

As to why Scomo has decided to push AZ out to more people now, I don't know except that the announcement was made after the National Cabinet meeting.

It irritates me big time that we are even talking about different brand COVID vaccinations. When you get a flu jab do you specify which one you will have? No. We have all become obsessed with stuff that really is inconsequential, and I am not downplaying the risk of blood clots. But the risk of women on the pill developing blood clots is up to 9 in 10,000, yet we hear nothing about this.

The other states have a long way to go to catch up with VIC, lockdown days wise.

As to why Scomo has decided to push AZ out to more people now, I don't know except that the announcement was made after the National Cabinet meeting.

It irritates me big time that we are even talking about different brand COVID vaccinations. When you get a flu jab do you specify which one you will have? No. We have all become obsessed with stuff that really is inconsequential, and I am not downplaying the risk of blood clots. But the risk of women on the pill developing blood clots is up to 9 in 10,000, yet we hear nothing about this.

Yeah I agree, the risk is really low compared to the benefit.

We can thank the scare mongering from the anti-vaxxers of the world for making the AZ vaccine so inaccessible - they did a truly amazing job in casting so much doubt on it. But AZ is far more available now which is great, I am relieved that Scomo is pushing that position, even if I think it came a bit late.

The trouble is, the decision had nothing to do with national cabinet. That was #scottyfrommarketing trying to share the blame, at the expense of blowing up said cabinet.

‘’The premiers will not place any trust in anything he says or does now; not that they did that much any way.

The trouble is, the decision had nothing to do with national cabinet. That was #scottyfrommarketing trying to share the blame, at the expense of blowing up said cabinet.

‘’The premiers will not place any trust in anything he says or does now; not that they did that much any way.
On the one hand he is criticised for not showing leadership, but when he does by introducing the no fault indemnity scheme, suddenly he is still criticised.

The trouble is not just Scomo but the premiers putting egos and politics ahead of the people. For Anastacia Pwhateverhernameis and her CHO to come out yesterday and say no 18yo QLD person will receive AZ is pure unadulterated political scare mongering. If she wasn't clear about the changes why didn't she call a one-on-one with Scomo or Brendan Murphy? But no, she had to grandstand and come out looking like an absolute idiot. As I've said in other posts the QLD premier and her CHO have no qualms about young women taking the Pill even though the risk of blood clotting complications is up to 9 in 10,000.

Federation in Australia is rooted. The states were given too long a rope during 2020 and it is going to be difficult to rein them back in

On the one hand he is criticised for not showing leadership, but when he does by introducing the no fault indemnity scheme, suddenly he is still criticised.

The trouble is not just Scomo but the premiers putting egos and politics ahead of the people. For Anastacia Pwhateverhernameis and her CHO to come out yesterday and say no 18yo QLD person will receive AZ is pure unadulterated political scare mongering. If she wasn't clear about the changes why didn't she call a one-on-one with Scomo or Brendan Murphy? But no, she had to grandstand and come out looking like an absolute idiot. As I've said in other posts the QLD premier and her CHO have no qualms about young women taking the Pill even though the risk of blood clotting complications is up to 9 in 10,000.

Federation in Australia is rooted. The states were given too long a rope during 2020 and it is going to be difficult to rein them back in
But why do we think the Federal Government would be any good at running the show?

But why do we think the Federal Government would be any good at running the show?
For one thing I trust the Commonwealth CMO and his department more than the likes of the QLD CMO and some of the state CMO's. The SA CMO tells spectators at the football not to touch a football in an AFL game if it happens to come into the crowd becausre they may contract COVID. The QLD CMO tells Queenslanders “I don’t want an 18-year-old in Queensland dying from a clotting illness who, if they got COVID, probably wouldn’t die.” And then we had Brett Sutton describing the earlier strain of COVID as an "absolute beast". These sort of statements are not the sort of things a CMO should be saying. Do you not agree?

It's all irrational, irresponsible, inconceivable and insane...how long can the country keep walking on hot coals? The madness is out of control and the Premiers have lost their minds...

That wasn’t leadership, it was political opportunism writ large. He blindsided the premiers and dressed it up as a group decision, or at the very least wanted people to think the premiers were on board.

The CHO of Queensland is sticking to the medical line, whether you agree with the position or not. This I believe goes with the guidelines from the company itself and multiple other medical jurisdictions. So no it isn’t scaremongering to stick to the same position that was the national position just the day before. Especially when they had ZERO idea as to what #scottyfrommarketing was going to say.

Morrison was to blame for the reaction of all of the premiers, none of whom backed his position.

As for the premiers losing their minds, consider the following:

1. Everything they have done is their responsibility under the constitution and comes under states rights; except for point 2.

2. Because the federal government failed to show any leadership and were happy to have quarantine be run by the states the states have done the best (not always successfully) they can.

3. The federal government controls the borders but demands that the states assume all the risk.

The absolute cluster* that all of this from quarantine, to outbreaks, to vaccine procurement, to vaccinations can be squarely laid at the feet of the federal government.

Their message has been incoherent, scatterbrained and contradictory. Up to and including having anti-vaxxers like Craig Kelly undermining the various health officials around the country.

The Murdoch media has covered up for Morrison from day one. Now they have to choose between him and Saint Gladys, who has called him out for the fraud he is.

For one thing I trust the Commonwealth CMO and his department more than the likes of the QLD CMO and some of the state CMO's. The SA CMO tells spectators at the football not to touch a football in an AFL game if it happens to come into the crowd becausre they may contract COVID. The QLD CMO tells Queenslanders “I don’t want an 18-year-old in Queensland dying from a clotting illness who, if they got COVID, probably wouldn’t die.” And then we had Brett Sutton describing the earlier strain of COVID as an "absolute beast". These sort of statements are not the sort of things a CMO should be saying. Do you not agree?

I don't know why those comments warrant putting the Federal government in charge of anything though.

They've had three things to manage I think:
1) International arrivals
2) Vaccines
3) Public Aged Care.

All three are legitimately a debacle. As far as I'm aware, the states have been responsible for managing infections within their state (testing, contract tracing, etc.), pubic aged care and managing their own borders.

To be honest, I reckon the states have managed this thing far, far better than the Federal government have.

That wasn’t leadership, it was political opportunism writ large. He blindsided the premiers and dressed it up as a group decision, or at the very least wanted people to think the premiers were on board.

The CHO of Queensland is sticking to the medical line, whether you agree with the position or not. This I believe goes with the guidelines from the company itself and multiple other medical jurisdictions. So no it isn’t scaremongering to stick to the same position that was the national position just the day before. Especially when they had ZERO idea as to what #scottyfrommarketing was going to say.

Morrison was to blame for the reaction of all of the premiers, none of whom backed his position.

As for the premiers losing their minds, consider the following:

1. Everything they have done is their responsibility under the constitution and comes under states rights; except for point 2.

2. Because the federal government failed to show any leadership and were happy to have quarantine be run by the states the states have done the best (not always successfully) they can.

3. The federal government controls the borders but demands that the states assume all the risk.

The absolute clusterfu** that all of this from quarantine, to outbreaks, to vaccine procurement, to vaccinations can be squarely laid at the feet of the federal government.

Their message has been incoherent, scatterbrained and contradictory. Up to and including having anti-vaxxers like Craig Kelly undermining the various health officials around the country.

The Murdoch media has covered up for Morrison from day one. Now they have to choose between him and Saint Gladys, who has called him out for the fraud he is.

To me it's a case of "worst person you know just made a great point".

He was being opportunistic, for sure. But it's still a good thing to recommend. More vaccinations > less vaccination due to tiny levels of risk.

Pretty much every legitimate medical expert has come out today and slammed that moron CHO Young’s comments yesterday. Suggesting that an 18 year old female take their chances with covid over the AZ vaccine, ‘implying’ that Morrison is going to set up AZ vaccination centres around the country for under 40’s and that the UK had banned AZ for under 40’s was grossly irresponsible and politicising an important issue, no shame whatsoever. What do you expect when they’re scrambling to cover up their latest screw ups by allowing an unvaccinated 19 yr old receptionist work outside a hospital covid ward and placing a low risk fifo worker in a room in between positive cases…….what the * could go wrong!!! Young has just been made Governor of the state by her buffoon Labour mates so she was just repaying the favour I guess. A complete brothel up there.

To be honest, I reckon the states have managed this thing far, far better than the Federal government have.
Legitimate question - how has Victoria managed things well? Two lockdowns in 2021 despite NO deaths, NO hospitalisations (maybe 1), but untold economic damage, and the one that nobody is prepared to talk about, untold mental health issues caused by COVID lockdowns (you speak to any psychologist and they are currently run off their feet treating people who have not coped with the fallout of lockdowns). A uniform QR code system was NOT introduced in Victoria until June 2021 and they couldn't even get that right with individuals receiving text messages yesterday saying that unless they implemented QR codes for their "businesses" by midnight they faced massive fines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legitimate question - how has Victoria managed things well? Two lockdowns in 2021 despite NO deaths, NO hospitalisations (maybe 1), but untold economic damage, and the one that nobody is prepared to talk about, untold mental health issues caused by COVID lockdowns (you speak to any psychologist and they are currently run off their feet treating people who have not coped with the fallout of lockdowns). A uniform QR code system was NOT introduced in Victoria until June 2021 and they couldn't even get that right with individuals receiving text messages yesterday saying that unless they implemented QR codes for their "businesses" by midnight they faced massive fines.

It depends on what your definition of success looks like.

Really that you think a few of that team are working on this forum :D
Quite possibly.
But really how much can they really influence if they were?
They could tell me Dan is going to lick my balls and give me every friday off work, and I still wouldnt vote for the sorry campaigner.

Just a factual reminder of how well Andrews has handled "this thing"

Yeah I agree, the risk is really low compared to the benefit.

We can thank the scare mongering from the anti-vaxxers of the world for making the AZ vaccine so inaccessible - they did a truly amazing job in casting so much doubt on it. But AZ is far more available now which is great, I am relieved that Scomo is pushing that position, even if I think it came a bit late.
im not anti vax (i will get the vaccine as soon as i can), and i agree the AZ scaremongering is a joke. But im going to wait for pfizer.

Why?

Because the entire system was set up to hand boomers and their parents the vaccine first. They were given absolute preferential treatment because they are at the highest risk, and i have no issue with that approach in the slightest. However while their parents jumped at the chance, the boomers are too good for it. they think they know better because they are educated in things like yoga and chakras, and so they refused the vaccine. they are the stick in the mud preventing everyone else from receiving medical treatment. The process was easy and free, but still they are too good for it. 'i dont need to bother getting the vaccine, everyone else will and then ill be covered by herd immunity'. the selfish generation has proven itself selfish again. and now that there is an absolutely miniscule chance of a minor side effect, its been deemed unsuitable for boomers but ok for young people, despite the risk being greater the younger you are.

in other words, the boomers have decided the AZ vaccine isnt good enough for them, but good enough for under 40s, even though they are at higher risk. They want us to accept their dregs/discards. And if a young person does suffer side effects they will have to pay for treatment themselves, because the PM wants to give indemnity to the doctors and hospitals so that they can hand it out risk free and without consequence.

no. if its not good enough for the boomers, its not good enough for me. im at much lower risk from covid, and much higher risk from the AZ vaccine. Im not going to just accept their discards and be happy with it, just so that they can pass on higher risks to us so that they dont need to take any and go about their anti-vax w***ery. they can gagf.

had they said "yes these are the miniscule risks, but it is no worse than any other medical thing and the rollout will continue with AZ being given to over 50's but under 50's can come and get it too now in the interest of vaccinating everyone", then id already have done it.

im not anti vax (i will get the vaccine as soon as i can), and i agree the AZ scaremongering is a joke. But im going to wait for pfizer.

Why?

Because the entire system was set up to hand boomers and their parents the vaccine first. They were given absolute preferential treatment because they are at the highest risk, and i have no issue with that approach in the slightest. However while their parents jumped at the chance, the boomers are too good for it. they think they know better because they are educated in things like yoga and chakras, and so they refused the vaccine. they are the stick in the mud preventing everyone else from receiving medical treatment. The process was easy and free, but still they are too good for it. 'i dont need to bother getting the vaccine, everyone else will and then ill be covered by herd immunity'. the selfish generation has proven itself selfish again. and now that there is an absolutely miniscule chance of a minor side effect, its been deemed unsuitable for boomers but ok for young people, despite the risk being greater the younger you are.

in other words, the boomers have decided the AZ vaccine isnt good enough for them, but good enough for under 40s, even though they are at higher risk. They want us to accept their dregs/discards. And if a young person does suffer side effects they will have to pay for treatment themselves, because the PM wants to give indemnity to the doctors and hospitals so that they can hand it out risk free and without consequence.

no. if its not good enough for the boomers, its not good enough for me. im at much lower risk from covid, and much higher risk from the AZ vaccine. Im not going to just accept their discards and be happy with it, just so that they can pass on higher risks to us so that they dont need to take any and go about their anti-vax w***ery. they can gagf.

had they said "yes these are the miniscule risks, but it is no worse than any other medical thing and the rollout will continue with AZ being given to over 50's but under 50's can come and get it too now in the interest of vaccinating everyone", then id already have done it.

You do you. I think you're buying into the fear-mongering a little bit though. If boomers don't want to get AZ for whatever reason, * them. More for us.

I want things to open up again and stay open, which means we need to reach a critical mass of vaccinations. People dithering about a 1 in 40,000+ chance of adverse reaction are just delaying things.

You do you. I think you're buying into the fear-mongering a little bit though. If boomers don't want to get AZ for whatever reason, fu** them. More for us.

I want things to open up again and stay open, which means we need to reach a critical mass of vaccinations. People dithering about a 1 in 40,000+ chance of adverse reaction are just delaying things.
nah its not that. i know the risks are almost nothing and would be absolutely willing to take the chance if the boomers were. but im not going to take that risk if im going to have to pay for my own treatment in the off chance something does go wrong.

its more the principle. if its not good enough for the boomers, its not good enough for me. i am not going to be dictated to by them so that they can put me at a greater risk than themselves, so that they can have their warm fuzzy convenient choice. no parent should ever ask their child to take a risk they themselves are not willing to take, especially when the child is at higher risk (no matter much small that risk is). im done being dictated to by an older generation who seemingly have no care for their descendants across all manner of topics.

to put it in perspective, the UK has actually done the opposite and are giving under 40s the alternative.

You do you. I think you're buying into the fear-mongering a little bit though. If boomers don't want to get AZ for whatever reason, fu** them. More for us.

also, getting the vaccine to 'open up' is meaningless until theres some kind of vaccine passport system. im essentially taking the risk so that the boomers can walk around unvaccinated just because they want to. no thank you.

nah its not that. i know the risks are almost nothing and would be absolutely willing to take the chance if the boomers were. but im not going to take that risk if im going to have to pay for my own treatment in the off chance something does go wrong.

its more the principle. if its not good enough for the boomers, its not good enough for me. i am not going to be dictated to by them so that they can put me at a greater risk than themselves, so that they can have their warm fuzzy convenient choice. no parent should ever ask their child to take a risk they themselves are not willing to take, especially when the child is at higher risk (no matter much small that risk is). im done being dictated to by an older generation who seemingly have no care for their descendants across all manner of topics.

to put it in perspective, the UK has actually done the opposite and are giving under 40s the alternative.

Yeah fair enough. I went to get AZ as I hope to be fully vaccinated by September in the vain, and increasingly unlikely chance that I can go overseas later this year (and hopefully come back) and am expecting vaccination to be some kind of requirement.

UK situation is pretty different as they have access to a few other types. Australia decided to make AZ locally and ship in Pfizer, which of course meant we had a lot more AZ and Pfizer was much harder to get.

also, getting the vaccine to 'open up' is meaningless until theres some kind of vaccine passport system. im essentially taking the risk so that the boomers can walk around unvaccinated just because they want to. no thank you.

There already is. If you use mygov you can view your vaccinaton certificate. It's only a matter of time before this starts to be used (I don't agree with this in principle but it seems like they way we're headed).

Good luck in your attempt to own the boomers, I guess.

There already is. If you use mygov you can view your vaccinaton certificate. It's only a matter of time before this starts to be used (I don't agree with this in principle but it seems like they way we're headed).

Good luck in your attempt to own the boomers, I guess.
not trying to own the boomers. im just not going to bend over to appease their selfishness. either the risk is good enough for all of us, or none of us. im not second class based on my age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back