The WACA - Downfall

Discussion in 'AFL Stadiums' started by Masked Magician, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Silent Alarm

Silent Alarm Is your bed made? Is your sweater on?

Fremantle
    Jul 9, 2010
    I don't think building on swampland is gentrification!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Eastern Rangers

Eastern Rangers 2015 Worsfold Medalist - Rowen Powell

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Royals & Subi
    Aug 27, 2006
    Perth
    Most of that sand will go. It's being used to compress the land and drive the water out and make it suitable for building on. They've had more issues with the Waterbank site than where the stadium is.

Power Raid likes this.
  3. mightymouse75

mightymouse75 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Wimbledon AFC
    Apr 26, 2011
    Hello, does anyone know why we are playing Tasmania @ the gaba this weekend and then playing Tassie in Bankstown Sydney in a few days time?? What happened to playing at home every other game?

4. The_Reaper

The_Reaper Hall of Famer

West Coast
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    Jan 26, 2006
    Perth
    This year and last year there was a change to the one day cup. It is now treated like a sort of world cup tournament.

Last year all the games were in Sydney now Brisbane gets the starting games.

Though on the flipside most matches are now free to air on GEM.

Power Raid likes this.
  5. mightymouse75

mightymouse75 Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Wimbledon AFC
    Apr 26, 2011
    Cheers for that, it seems they are moving to Sydney next week though.
    Was a good win today by the sounds of it.

6. fabulousphil

fabulousphil Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    freo
    Nov 29, 2001
    perth
    I have a feeling that Perth ( WAFL) actually played there in he late 1890's and early 1900's.

7. The_Reaper

The_Reaper Hall of Famer

West Coast
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    Jan 26, 2006
    Perth
    You would be right

fabulousphil likes this.
  8. coastalpipeline

coastalpipeline Team Captain

Essendon
    Nov 3, 2016
    #108 coastalpipeline, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    It was so the cop shop on the opposing side of the road could watch football aswell as keep an eye on their bets happening at Gloucester Park, but never leave their own building. One if the best corporate boxes on Australia. Cop shop is on the right, Trots is over the far left light.

Attached Files:

Garlic muncher likes this.
  9. Garlic muncher

Garlic muncher Premiership Player

Collingwood
    Feb 3, 2016
    Or head up to the only TAB around at the Carlton hotel which must be the biggest dive of a hotel you have ever seen.

Flop house extraordinaire.

masai and coastalpipeline like this.
  10. coastalpipeline

coastalpipeline Team Captain

Essendon
    Nov 3, 2016
    Its still there? Unbelievable.

11. Garlic muncher

Garlic muncher Premiership Player

Collingwood
    Feb 3, 2016
    Yep, sometimes pick my son up at school around there and if early drop in for a punt.

$85 a week for a room, and they sit in the bar all day :)

coastalpipeline likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. BartBart

BartBart Premiership Player

West Coast
    Mar 30, 2008
    Perth
    There was a contract to play a certain number of games up to a certain year at the WACA.
    I can't remember the details of the contract though.

13. Geoff

Geoff Premium Platinum

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    May 13, 2004
    W.A.
  14. FootyJunkie

FootyJunkie Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Mar 5, 2005
    Between the Big Sticks
    Up until 2000.

Even when Subiaco had lights from the mid 90s, some night games still had to be played at the WACA.

15. aCunningPlan

aCunningPlan Eating Dim Sims

Geelong
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ballarat, Victoria
    I don't know, Ballarat's most exclusive suburb and home to our only Olympic venue encompasses what was once a swamp.

16. Rob

Rob Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Peel Thunder
    Nov 8, 2000
    South of the river
    It had lights because of the AFL. Funnily enough, Cometti in his book talks about when he was on the feasibility panel to assess whether it was worth putting lights in. He found cricket had virtually no use for them and the VFL (as it was known) couldn't have given 2 shits about what time the Eagles played their games at as long as the licence fee came in on time. So the panel had to recommend no lights, only to find the decision had already been made.

Subi wouldn't have got it at the time because of the local residents. Over time they've been told to shut the **** up given they chose to move near the largest stadium in the state.

Bomberboyokay, BartBart and Geoff like this.
  17. Scotland

Scotland Hall of Famer

West Coast
    May 5, 2006
    I remember the 98/99 NSL finals at the WACA. That was the first time soccer really took off in WA. Glory had been getting good crowds at Perth Oval consistently but it was the first finals appearance and Subi wasn't available. Both finals sold out and the first was a come from behind win with Bobby Despotovski winning it late and Bernd Stange kissing the female police officer. 99/00 finals at Subi started off with an injury time winner to Ivan Ergic winning the two leg tie and 43,000 people going nuts before the massive GF choke two weeks later. By the time Glory finally won a GF in 02/03 the public interest had definitely waned a bit. Glory have never recaptured the imagination of WA in the A-League era.

Used to go to Eagles matches there in the 90s, too. Had ground level seats so it wasn't a great footy venue. No cover from the rain and a crap view of everything that wasn't right in front of you. Fat Scott Cummings kicked a lazy 14 there one night against the Crows. 14 marks inside 50 for 14 goals. 15 marks, 17 kicks, 1 handball, 15.1. Classic full forward's game.

18. Suzanne olsen

Suzanne olsen Team Captain

North Melbourne
    Jun 12, 2017
    Victoria
    The WACA ground is a ripper of a cricket ground. I remember when the eagles used to use that ground as their home ground.
    Subi is better for them now but is a bit outdated. Listened to a program on ABC Grandstand last weekend just before the Freo vs pies game about both the new perth oval and subiaco oval. It was a great insight. I just hope that the WACA gets upgraded as well. Then it will be super.

Spuddage and dazza68 like this.
  19. holybishop

holybishop Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
    Oct 9, 2006
    Perth
    Once the deal gets done between the WA Government and the WAFC in respect to burning Subi to the ground the WAFC will move their admin base to the WACA and Government money will be committed on a redevelopment.

20. Suzanne olsen

North Melbourne
    Jun 12, 2017
    Victoria
    Both the Subiaco and WACA grounds are very old. I think some of the structures are actually heritage listed from what i remember hearing on the ABC Grandstand program last weekend.
    So it could be a little tough to burn down

21. Admiral Byng

Admiral Byng Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    South Fremantle
    May 3, 2009
    Perth
    Hard to imagine what parts. Maybe the gates at Subi and the scoreboard at the WACA. It wasn't so long ago the WACA demolished the old old grandstand at the northern end, which I think were 1930s vintage.

whereisthefree likes this.
  22. holybishop

holybishop Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
    Oct 9, 2006
    Perth
    They'll keep the heritage listed gate on the west end and the Sandover Medallist walk of fame. The rest is gone and given the latest backflips from McGowan it will probably be turned into a school.

whereisthefree likes this.
  23. Suzanne olsen

North Melbourne
    Jun 12, 2017
    Victoria
    Yes it was the old gates at subi.
    I'd have to research some of this stuff because i'm not entirely sure about what else is heritage listed.

24. Admiral Byng

Admiral Byng Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    South Fremantle
    May 3, 2009
    Perth
    I don't think the gates are any major obstacle towards demolishing the rest of the ground and redeveloping it. Since the gates are right out on the edge of the site near the street they won't impede onto the site for whatever redevelopment takes place there.

dazza68 likes this.
  25. peppy la pew

peppy la pew Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Marching On Together
    May 15, 2006
    South West
    Sooz you are way out of your depth, start doggy paddling back to shore

And stay within the flags

Private Hudson likes this.