Things you have learnt for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't pick cash cow kids just because they are named in round 1. Pick kids who are likely to force their way into the best 22, even if they are not named until round 3-5.

I picked Jetta instead of Aaron Edwards and Riggio instead of Jesse Smith. Why?

I already knew prior to this seasons but it works, spend big on backs, and forwards, there are only half a dozen gun backs, so you may as well get them from the start. Try and find up and coming midfielders, there was an abundance this year, on my list where: Priddis, Foley, Knights, Winderlich, Pendlebury, Higgins, Lappin. I went with the highlighted ones.:D

Don't pick cash cow kids just because they are named in round 1. Pick kids who are likely to force their way into the best 22, even if they are not named until round 3-5.

I picked Jetta instead of Aaron Edwards and Riggio instead of Jesse Smith. Why?

I already knew prior to this seasons but it works, spend big on backs, and forwards, there are only half a dozen gun backs, so you may as well get them from the start. Try and find up and coming midfielders, there was an abundance this year, on my list where: Priddis, Foley, Knights, Winderlich, Pendlebury, Higgins, Lappin. I went with the highlighted ones.:D

Imagine if the salary cap was a lot lower than currently, people like you who study hard will be advantaged. This year it was very easy to just pick guns.....you look at most top teams now and they are extremely similar.

LOWER THE SALARY CAP NEXT YEAR VIRTUALSPORTS

stay away from full forwards ie fevola

and just cause u might already have 1 forward from a team
ie paul champman.. dosnt mean cant go another forward from that team
ie gary ablett..
biggest mistake was goin fevola over ablett for that reason :mad::mad:

pick mid pairs who share the ball between them selves, ie judd and kerr or west and cross
dont waste $$ on 2 expensive rucks, rarely do they rack up the points , use the money on mids or forwards.

if a player is listed in fwd or back ie kosi, choose his posi as a back, otherwise you are wasting a forward position

pray you dont get long term injuries in the beginning of the season( i had, johncock, harley, neitz and Williams in the first month), forced trades early on limit your situation later on

dont choose players(unless he is gun 18 year old) not in a teams top 26/27 , only likely to play for a week or two until a regular is back

Things I have picked up for next year:

1. Stack the backline - moreso that any other position, the backs should be stacked at the start of the season. There are too few quality backs, trading for them can be kinda hard (eg Carrazzo now-ish and Lockyer).

2. Take an even mix of absolute elite mids and rising stars. I started the year with Judd, Dal Santo, Hodge, Sherman, Murphy, Griffen. Would have been much better off Downgrading Sherman/Griffen to a Priddis/Knights/Lewis and using the extra cash to turn Dal Santo and Murphy into Bartel and Kornes. Hard to predict which young mids will be guns (heard discussions about how Knights and Priddis were ball-magnets, Lewis caught me off giuard).

3. Dont get players who are injury prone. A mate of mine started the year with Robert Murphy, traded him when he got injured. Fair enough. But then he traded him back into his side (thought he was going to do well) and he got injured again. Now he has to trade him out. You cant have soft-spots for certain players, it will always cloud your better judgement.

I think thats about it.

1.only pick one top class ruckman and one 2nd ruckman eg:seaby or someone else like that

2.try and pick the the best up and coming players i was hit and miss on this hope to be a bit more hit next season

3.look at which rookies are most likely to play and which team they get drafted by makes ALOT of difference for example your not going to pick a rookie midfielder that west coast got

4.not have so many good backman this season i picked to many good backmen i know its the hardest position but it has made my forward line alot weaker so i will try and even it out

Head over heart. There are almost always better players than what you're club has to offer. Sucked in to picking Stevens, Fevola, Murph, Gibbs, Betts and Walker.

MUST find an up and comer who is rare..but ready to dominate...very hard to do....i.e. Jordan Lewis, carrazzo
Don't waste time looking at players returning from serious injury......i.e. N.G.Brown, Tredrea, R.Murphy, etc

i disagree about wasting time on players with serious injury ...look at guys like lappin and hadley and even kosi etc..just gotta pick the rite 1's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Don't get inconsistent players eg.fevola, who play very deep in the forward line. Instead get centre-half forwards or other forwards who play further up the ground.

2. Don't choose C.Cornes for the forward line. Always choose him to for the back line. There are so many power house forwards, but, there isn't enough high quality backs.

2. Don't choose C.Cornes for the forward line. Always choose him to for the back line. There are so many power house forwards, but, there isn't enough high quality backs.

Not sure if that is borne out by the stats.

Appears to be more Backman in the Top 50 than Forwards.

dont listen to anyone on here

NO HASELBY
no expensive overpriced players except for bartel/Kornes

brain > heart

Have you heard of a guy called Jake King? Oh.. and he's old too.

Have you read the topic title ?
"Things YOU have learnt for next year"

And thats simply the thing that he has learnt... It doesnt need to be right in everyones eyes, let alone yours...

I have learned to have some idea of what you want your team to end up as at the start of the season. I did not pick enough guns from the start and i had to upgrade too many players. Would suggest at least 3 guns from back and forwards at least 2 from centre and at least one ruck.

People will be divided on this point but again this year i skimmped on my rucks. Hot topic this year is how unique your team is. Next year i will no doubt be selecting two high scoring rucks since many people would neglect this area. It will set you back at around 100pts every week.

I'm happy where i have come from last year but there is still a lot of improvement to be had.

1. Fill the back line. 4/5 kahunas Eg: Cornes, 2/1 semies Eg: Waters, Birchel, Walker. 1 cheap Eg: kosi (addcock was mispriced so dont include him)
2. Some mids dont go down. Eg: Bartell, Kornes. Pick them on form.
3. Fowards are inconsistent, easy upgrades. Eg: Lucas $390 - 290 - 340 or the Volt or Gablett, all went up and down quickly. So start with like a Pav and a BJ then a few middle priced to upgrade.
4. Mids make points and are good captain options. Have 2 sick ones like Bartell, Kornes, Cross, West then 2 solid ones like Hayes next year will be cheap and Goodwin. Then 2 cheapies and make sure you bench fowards are good. Good money there.
5. Dont go those trades in the first week. Not that you would be i just laugh at all the people with Brenan.
6. Trades will come up. So hold some off cause others will arise latter on in the season.
7. Don't trade for semi goods like Dal Santo. Might as well pay 30k more and get a gun.
8. Don't trade kahunas unless they are just that bad. Like Hall and Goodes. They are just wasted trades other wise cause the usually hit form, like bowden did at the start of the year.
9. Find those gun injured players.

1. When you spend 4 weeks + deciding on your team before the season starts, don't stuff around with it at the last moment based on someone not performing in a practice game. (Had G.Ablett, Polak and a few others until last second)

2. Don't pick bench players based purely on who has been selected in Round 1 (Riggio)

3. Don't pick expensive forwards (Fev, Hall and Lucas to a lesser extent for me)

4. Don't be so quick to jump off a player (Franklin)

5. Dont pick up a player who was good last year, just because he has dropped significantly in price (Whitnall)

6. Don't get influenced too much by bigfooty.com.au :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back