Thirds Comp 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Saint_66

Draftee
Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Any info on how the league plan to structure the thirds comp in 2016?

Have heard conflicting info saying that it's going to be the same as 2015 with Skye going up into the Blue Comp, and that it's going back to the way it was in 2014 as just the one single division.

Any info on how the league plan to structure the thirds comp in 2016?

Have heard conflicting info saying that it's going to be the same as 2015 with Skye going up into the Blue Comp, and that it's going back to the way it was in 2014 as just the one single division.

If they do either of those can see a lot of teams not entering a thirds team next year. I don't see why they just don't have a Thirds comp split up as Div 1 & Div 2 with a promotion and relegation

If they do either of those can see a lot of teams not entering a thirds team next year. I don't see why they just don't have a Thirds comp split up as Div 1 & Div 2 with a promotion and relegation

Agree. Would work better and create abit of an even playing field. In saying that though, I think the idea was there this year to make the 2 comps based on what Division the senior teams belong to. Bit of tinkering and should be a sweet season next year.

i wouldn't even implement relegation/promotion as it's 3rds and you'll rarely have 505 of the team you had the yr prior and if you do they won't compete at a higher standard, that's why they play 3rds as they don't really want to get better by training etc but yeah skye have to go up or div 2 will end up with 4 teams again

i wouldn't even implement relegation/promotion as it's 3rds and you'll rarely have 505 of the team you had the yr prior and if you do they won't compete at a higher standard, that's why they play 3rds as they don't really want to get better by training etc but yeah skye have to go up or div 2 will end up with 4 teams again
They just needa put up the team who wins the premiership and won every game by 100+ points. The league wouldve been reasonably level otherwise. It ruins the competition for alot of people even if it is just thirds

Apparently Cerberus won't have a side this year anyone know anything about this??

im hearing that 10 teams in div 3 have expressed interest in entering a thirds team this year. So you can probably expect a different format this year.

im hearing that 10 teams in div 3 have expressed interest in entering a thirds team this year. So you can probably expect a different format this year.
Well hopefully they put togethor even leagues. It wouldve been a fairly even league without skye last year.

Skye not being in the correct thirds division was a joke. Not worth celebrating that flag lads lol

Just for your info skye did ask more then once to be put into the other group of thirds teams.
The majority of our players were pushing for a spot in the twos and turned up every week to training and trained the saturdays when teams had forfeited.

So they had every right to celebrate their flag, they didnt ask to be put in the lower standard group so hopefully the league fix it this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skye up would of played finals easy and dropped down Chelsea or chelt would of made it more even they were getting beaten 100+ every week 200 bye dingley Cerberus and Clayton

Yeah it doesnt seem like rocket science to look at the quality of the teams and even out the competition. Geography certainly isnt the issue. Hopefully they dont mess it up this year

why wouldnlt the league let you go up? i'm from yarra and we knew that you'd asked to go up...

Not too sure to be honest, they just said they werent going to change the fixtures around.
We asked at the start of the year and again when Endeavour hills got a team together we asked if we could trade with them.
It was good for them to be winning by 100+ points every week no one would complain but s**t to not get to play half the season because teams didnt want to play against them

Option 1 doesn't help the forfiet issue which i think is the biggest issue - there's point starting with 13 teams then only having 8 actually play...divide the league into 2 or 3 and schedule within that division like the afl does...i think that would mean the top teams still make finals but the lower teams still get plenty of winnable games...without hurting my brain i think it would work fine for the middle teams too

option 2 - you've still got the skye issue we had this yr...kudos for them to be so good but they can't play in that comp again this yr without being forfeits again can they? you'd have to see the actual draw for this one to see how it would finish up though maybe

option 3 - brain hurts now...

it seems the triple headers are a fav of the league and i much prefer having something to watch before my game at 12pm then not but the aim should be for every team to play every game and if clubs are happy to work out a draw so that happens then they should do it

Option 1 doesn't help the forfiet issue which i think is the biggest issue - there's point starting with 13 teams then only having 8 actually play...divide the league into 2 or 3 and schedule within that division like the afl does...i think that would mean the top teams still make finals but the lower teams still get plenty of winnable games...without hurting my brain i think it would work fine for the middle teams too

option 2 - you've still got the skye issue we had this yr...kudos for them to be so good but they can't play in that comp again this yr without being forfeits again can they? you'd have to see the actual draw for this one to see how it would finish up though maybe

option 3 - brain hurts now...

it seems the triple headers are a fav of the league and i much prefer having something to watch before my game at 12pm then not but the aim should be for every team to play every game and if clubs are happy to work out a draw so that happens then they should do it
Yeah skye need to switch to the higher league. All the other teams in the red (?) League never had blowouts like skye's.

After witnessing forfeit after forfeit when fixtured against Skye. How about substantial fine for each time a club forfeits. Once u hit the clubs hip pocket I'm sure all these forfeits would soon disappear. Although seeing Skye belt teams by 250 each week isn't right.
Im sorry but you cant fine clubs because players dont show up. That makes no sense

They might forfeit once or twice a year though and they're taking spots that another team could be PAYING for...free footy isn't the same and they'd end yogi refuting the season which gets us nowhere...the simplest solution is to even up the competition and all is well in the world

Works with basketball and most indoor sports. Teams don't want to get fined so they somehow scrounge up some fill ins. It was just ridiculous last season where teams that knew were going to get smashed just ended up forfeiting, then miraculous the next week they have a full side again.
Yeah i understand that but in those scenarios, the players themselves are paying the fines, not the club. Along with that, the club cant make players show up to games, let alone thirds games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back