Thor: Love & Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Also watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Ragnarok is still the high point of the MCU for me this is not far behind. I put down all the negativity to Americans not understanding Antipodean humour but perhaps not after reading this thread. The whole point of the MCU for me is the ridiculousness and sort of enjoying it like a kid. It felt like Waititi was struggling a bit with the story but that might be more because Phase 4 is so aimless in general. Nick Giannopoulos would have been more interesting as Zeus over Crowe. I’d like to see Waititi do Thor 5 to finish a trilogy but that probably won’t happen. Also he probably shouldn’t be writing for Star Wars as his humour would not work as well as in Marvel.

Apparently Marvel cut 40 minutes of additional footage that Waititi wanted in there and that’s why the movie seems like it has no flow.
All I say to that is if they had more screaming goat content and shitty Thor one liners then he’d never work as a director again.
2 hours was enough.
I want him nowhere near Thor5 and I’m glad he opted to pull out of directing it.

Thought this was incredibly average.

I think I'm struggling with the standalone movies now after going through the multi movie arc's (Thanos etc). The villain/storylines just don't seem as compelling.

I obviously missed it (or didn't realise when I saw it) but how did Jane end up being able to become The Mighty Thor?

Thought it was ok on first viewing at the cinema, but liked it much better when I watched it at home.

Probably appeals more to casual fans who dont mind a silly movie. I watch most of the Marvel movies but not a hardcore "has to respect canon" type fan unlike for Star Wars, so I get all those that hate it.

Its like how I hated the Star Wars sequel trilogy because to me the plot was silly in regards to canon but casual fans would have enjoyed it.

Apparently Marvel cut 40 minutes of additional footage that Waititi wanted in there and that’s why the movie seems like it has no flow.
All I say to that is if they had more screaming goat content and shitty Thor one liners then he’d never work as a director again.
2 hours was enough.
I want him nowhere near Thor5 and I’m glad he opted to pull out of directing it.
This was interesting

thunderbolt nice.
goats no nice
Film would be a 10 if it kept the interim visual effects at the end of that scene.

The scene encapsulates the issues with the MCU for me though for all but its target audience of younger viewers. You have a somewhat jokey but also heartfelt scene which builds some rapport between two characters and has a bit of heart in it

Then the film seems to get uncomfortable with even a timid foray into sincerity and we get "so how are we getting there?" And epic despacito remix goat riding shenanigans.

Undercutting heavy stuff with levity is a perfectly valid film making trick, but like any trick when you abuse it too often the curtain falls, it becomes too transparent, and the audience may lose interest since they know what the pacing and structure of every scene will be.

I'm spewing Waititi is out of the next Thor. Personally I love this and Ragnarok equally (maybe Rag is slightly better) and I'm hoping people come around on this film over time. The comedy aspect of these films is a welcome change.

I'm spewing Waititi is out of the next Thor. Personally I love this and Ragnarok equally (maybe Rag is slightly better) and I'm hoping people come around on this film over time. The comedy aspect of these films is a welcome change.
i think if thor lnt was marketed and rated as a comedy our bodies would've been more ready for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comedy was far more subtle and in line with other MCU movies to that point. Ragnarok still had some nice heartfelt moments too.

A significant amount happened between Ragnarok and Love and Thunder as well.

Loki gets killed in IW and pretty much losing his entire family as well as the burden of the snap from Thanos. He only gets a bit of his mojo back by End Game when he visits his Mum when travelling back in time.

Considering what effectively could have happened in Love and Thunder with the Gods, The kids getting kidnapped, and above all else.....Jane's cancer.....the comedy was so blatant and tonally inconsistent both with the subject of the movie itself and the movies the Avenger movies that proceeded it.

Considering what Taikia did with JoJo Rabbit as well, there was a golden opportunity to do a really meaty and emotional but still MCU-esque movie.

Again if people enjoyed the movie, I'm glad. Just my 2c. I thought it was the ultimate paint by numbers with cringe comedy. All good and well ignoring the Avengers movies, but then it begs the question....why bother having the MCU continue in it's current form.

The thing I don’t get is Thor is nowhere near this cringeworthy or silly in the comics and it makes a mockery of the character considering it’s source material
Hemsworth = self parody at this point. Thor needs a better balance between serious and humour. Infinity War is his best performance imo.

Casting wise Portman has never been fully invested or suited to the role. Crowe didn't suit Zeus or the tone of his character didn't fit at least.

Have quite enjoyed the deleted scenes that have popped up with the release of this on streaming. And scratching my head a bit why some of them weren’t in the film.

I recall Taika being asked on the press tour a few months ago about the running time and if we’d ever see a directors cut for his films. He essentially dismissed that notion and said that if a scene was good enough it’d be the movie, simple. Hmmm.

Can’t help but feel there was some kind of edict to keep this at 2 hours - which is just bizarre as that’s not something associated with Marvel (more of a DC style studio intervention, ie Justice League) and would be quite random to do so for this film.

Something just doesn’t add up. Odd. This should have been so much better than what it was.

Was expecting the worst but it wasn’t bad. Was very light. Bale was good. A fair few jokes fell a bit flat. I think the Korg novelty kinda wore off from Ragnarok. Just wasn’t that funny anymore.

Maybe Thanos should have just found Eternity. Way easier.

Hemsworth = self parody at this point. Thor needs a better balance between serious and humour. Infinity War is his best performance imo.

Casting wise Portman has never been fully invested or suited to the role. Crowe didn't suit Zeus or the tone of his character didn't fit at least.
I also thought fat/drunk Thor in Endgame was pretty funny as a one off (and worked with what had happened in that arc) but it shouldn't have continued past that really.

Also I think the movie lacked a little bit without Loki.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back