Ticket to Ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got Ticket to Ride: My First Journey.

I was worried that my son would think the box cover art looked like a little kids game - he is 7, after all - but it was pretty engaging.

Instead of picking up single lengths of your route, you play cards to cover the whole route between your two cities.

Also you don't have open cards to pick from, you just pick up two train cards per turn, or you play a route.

No points scoring: first to 6 completed routes is the winner.

It took a bit for my son to grasp the idea that he could use existing filled stretches of track to complete new routes he picked up. Might be a point to emphasise with your children before they play.

Just got Ticket to Ride: My First Journey.

I was worried that my son would think the box cover art looked like a little kids game - he is 7, after all - but it was pretty engaging.

Instead of picking up single lengths of your route, you play cards to cover the whole route between your two cities.

Also you don't have open cards to pick from, you just pick up two train cards per turn, or you play a route.

No points scoring: first to 6 completed routes is the winner.

It took a bit for my son to grasp the idea that he could use existing filled stretches of track to complete new routes he picked up. Might be a point to emphasise with your children before they play.
I got this just recently too because it was on really good sale. Probably won't be able to play it with my child for 5 years, but it'll be in the cupboard waiting for that time. Can't wait.

Played Rails & Sails, as well as the UK map recently (both as 2 player). Really enjoyed them. They both add interesting considerations into your decision making process.

I found the UK map can make for a quicker version of the game, although I expect the overall experience would be quite different with 4, or even 3, players. I liked the rule whereby you can use 4 cards in place of an engine/wild card.

I purchased this on PS4 as I wanted it quickly to play 2 player. It works well enough but wasn't all that great 2 player, to be fair we did play the USA map though which apparantly is better suited with 4.
The base game favours taking the longest route cards and going around the outside.

If you can, buy the 1910 expansion. The new train route cards forces you to find paths through the middle and it's much more intense.

The base game favours taking the longest route cards and going around the outside.

If you can, buy the 1910 expansion. The new train route cards forces you to find paths through the middle and it's much more intense.
Yes - hold as many cards as you can so nobody else gets them, then unleash a torrent of long routes before someone else takes them.

TTR Japan is pretty good. I like the bullet train element and how they have got the mini map for the subway.

My wife loves this series, we also have:
TTR UK
TTR EUROPE
TTR FRANCE
TTR NEW YORK
TTR RAILS & SAILS

It's probably going to go down as the next monopoly in terms of it being an accessible family game that people keep playing forever.

TTR Japan is pretty good. I like the bullet train element and how they have got the mini map for the subway.

TTR UK
TTR EUROPE
TTR FRANCE
TTR NEW YORK
TTR RAILS & SAILS

It's probably going to go down as the next monopoly in terms of it being an accessible family game that people keep playing forever.
Although unlike Monopoly, it’s good:)

TTR UK
TTR EUROPE
TTR FRANCE
TTR NEW YORK
TTR RAILS & SAILS

I quite like Ticket to Ride though I’m only familiar with the original.

Although I’m not sure I like it enough to look at buying the others in the series, which ones do we think are the best to play?

Although I’m not sure I like it enough to look at buying the others in the series, which ones do we think are the best to play?
I’ve only played Europe - as far as I recall it is similar but with a mechanic to let you use other people’s tracks.

SonOfScray can probably describe it better.

I’ve only played Europe - as far as I recall it is similar but with a mechanic to let you use other people’s tracks.

SonOfScray can probably describe it better.
Each new map adds different modules.
Europe let’s you add a station, which helps you gain access to tracks that were otherwise blocked. If you don’t use them, extra points for you at the end.
The expansion adds cards and something called Depots, where you can store a cache of coloured cards to boost your hand at certain times.

Europe with the expansion is the one I’d get.

UK or France is probably the one that plays the most different.

Each new map adds different modules.
Europe let’s you add a station, which helps you gain access to tracks that were otherwise blocked. If you don’t use them, extra points for you at the end.
The expansion adds cards and something called Depots, where you can store a cache of coloured cards to boost your hand at certain times.

Europe with the expansion is the one I’d get.

UK or France is probably the one that plays the most different.
TTR Europe added in stations, ferries (routes requiring a locomotive card(s)) and tunnels (route may require additional cards to complete).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in a similar position. Ticket to Ride is ok, but I don't think there's enough variety between versions for me to get others, given a choice between that or a new game (soo many games on the want list). If I see other versions / maps for sale second hand cheaply I'd like to grab though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back