Recommitted Tim Taranto

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you seriously saying Greenwood and Lyons have a similar outside ability as Taranto? I can't take that seriously, sorry. Lyons and Greenwood are exactly what you are trying to say Taranto is, fairly one dimensional inside stoppage players. It screams "I haven't watched much Taranto" to suggest that's all he is
Well I have, vs Taranto (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=25&type=A&pid1=3504&pid2=6333&fid1=S&fid2=S)

Lyons has:
- better disposal efficiency
- fewer clangers
- fewer turnovers
- higher metres gained
- more score involvements
- more goal assists
- more inside 50s

Lyons dominates Taranto inside and out in every category no?

Well okkk let's not twist my words shall we lol...

Overall package - he is fine. If I had 2x 1st round picks and needed to target a good young mid to be the pillar of my midfield? - he is the last person I'd choose - literally Adam Treloar but twice as bad of a kick and doesn't even have the pace to make long bombs worth it.

It's not even hard to get strong contested inside mids with !@#$ kicking skills and !@#$ pace. Think Jarryd Lyons & Hugh Greenwood, both better than Taranto on the inside and has a similar profile on the outside. What did they cost?
Those guys have a few years on Taranto. He will fly past them in no time.

Hugh Greenwood similar profile on the outside?

That's funny

Those guys have a few years on Taranto. He will fly past them in no time.

Hugh Greenwood similar profile on the outside?

That's funny
Ye well this is where I disagree. I think Taranto has peaked. His 2019 form will more or less be his ceiling moving forward.

Even if he somehow becomes much better than the other 2, why would you pay 2x 1st round picks when you can just get players 80-90% as good for such cheap prices.

He will get disposals, will tackle but will also be the last person you want to have ball in hand. He just doesn't have a weapon that stands out to make him an A grader. Is he a genuine forward threat like (Bont, Danger, Fyfe) - well of course not. Is he efficient and creative with ball in hand (Pendles, J Kelly, Macrae) - well if anything he is the complete opposite to that. Does he at least absolutely dominate on the inside with a very strong contested possession rate like (Cripps, Oliver) - no lol, 41.7% possessions are contested in 2019 & 2020 compared to Oliver at 53.96% and Cripps at 60.63%

Overall package - he is fine. If I had 2x 1st round picks and needed to target a good young mid to be the pillar of my midfield? - he is the last person I'd choose - literally Adam Treloar but twice as bad of a kick and doesn't even have the pace to make long bombs worth it.

It's not even hard to get strong contested inside mids with !@#$ kicking skills and !@#$ pace. Think Jarryd Lyons & Hugh Greenwood, both better than Taranto on the inside and has a similar profile on the outside. What did they cost?
Are you seriously saying Greenwood and Lyons have a similar outside ability as Taranto? I can't take that seriously, sorry. Lyons and Greenwood are exactly what you are trying to say Taranto is, fairly one dimensional inside stoppage players. It screams "I haven't watched much Taranto" to suggest that's all he is

"Matt Bain, Taranto's manager, laughed off the suggestion that the former number two pick, who was the Giants' best and fairest winner last year, could be moving.

"There's zero truth in it. It will not be happening. He signed last year until the end of 2022 and he loves the club, he loves it up there. Tim Taranto is not leaving," said Bain."

Well I have, vs Taranto (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=25&type=A&pid1=3504&pid2=6333&fid1=S&fid2=S)

Lyons has:
- better disposal efficiency
- fewer clangers
- fewer turnovers
- higher metres gained
- more score involvements
- more goal assists
- more inside 50s

Lyons dominates Taranto inside and out in every category no?
So we are now not talking about role but stats? Lyons is a great player that's not the point of my response, I'm talking about the roles they play. And look, Taranto had a down year this year, it's to be expected of a guy fresh off a shoulder reco, prior to the dislocated shoulder Taranto improved year on year, it's reasonable to expect that another full pre-season is going to allow him to get back on track to his 2019 form/ improvement. I think a much fairer comparison would be 2019 when both guys were 100%, but I'm a GWS fan so, probs being bias

Wonder if Nuffies will start a bigfooty posts page? This is definitely a viable candidate for content

Taranto spent the majority of his TAC cup years as a craft forward flanker from memory?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taranto spent the majority of his TAC cup years as a craft forward flanker from memory?
Not sure about majority but it was definitely a role he had some exposure to coming into AFL.
Definitely played in state champs across half forward.

Kicked 4 goals in the TAC Cup Prelim and 4 goals in the all star game

Classic tyre kicking thread. Strange things do happen... so who knows. I hope Taranto fulfils his contract with GWS.

Ye well this is where I disagree. I think Taranto has peaked. His 2019 form will more or less be his ceiling moving forward.

Borderline All-Australian and club B&F in a Grand Final year on the regular would be a very good ceiling/outcome, especially with what should be his prime years (2023-2027, ages 25-29) well ahead of him.

Are you going from this season? Has Lyons been a b&f in a gf final making team.
Borderline All-Australian and club B&F in a Grand Final year on the regular would be a very good ceiling/outcome, especially with what should be his prime years (2023-2027, ages 25-29) well ahead of him.

Yeah well so has Matt Crouch at pretty much the same age, and he WAS chosen for AA that year, I mean you tell me how is he looking? Even production wise they are very similar, both can accumulate, both are amongst the worst kicks in the AFL, both will have negative impact if you give them the ball.

1 season does not define a player.

If all you can see is a player’s accolades then I can’t help you. And it’s not even as if he’s a multi AA winner. In fact, he hasn’t even been chosen for AA once in his career lol.

Yeah well so has Matt Crouch at pretty much the same age, and he WAS chosen for AA that year, I mean you tell me how is he looking? Even production wise they are very similar, both can accumulate, both are amongst the worst kicks in the AFL, both will have negative impact if you give them the ball.

1 season does not define a player.

If all you can see is a player’s accolades then I can’t help you. And it’s not even as if he’s a multi AA winner. In fact, he hasn’t even been chosen for AA once in his career lol.
Are we seriously comparing Tim Taranto to Matt Crouch lol?

Are we seriously comparing Tim Taranto to Matt Crouch lol?
Well I didn't set the criteria.

Some people here seem to think B n F @ grand final club = exceptional player who will dominate for the years to come.

And I have literally just proven with Matt Crouch that just looking at accolades alone this is absurdly ignorant, especially when the strong performance has only lasted one season.

Well I didn't set the criteria.

Some people here seem to think B n F @ grand final club = exceptional player who will dominate for the years to come.

And I have literally just proven with Matt Crouch that just looking at accolades alone this is absurdly ignorant, especially when the strong performance has only lasted one season.
It was as a 20 year old. In a young career where he has built his game each season (until this one - where he had major shoulder surgery).
Crouch goes chasing touches. Taranto doesn’t do that.

It was as a 20 year old. In a young career where he has built his game each season (until this one - where he had major shoulder surgery).
Crouch goes chasing touches. Taranto doesn’t do that.
2017 Matt Crouch CP rate - 41%
2019 Tim Taranto CP rate - 40%

So Taranto is supposed to be one of the best young mids in the comp and demands multiple 1st round picks. When at the same age, Matt crouch of all people had him beat in total disposals, disposal efficiency, and won more of the ball on his own as well?

Point is, yes Tim Taranto has developed to date. But I still his attributes will stay roughly the same moving forward. And saying that he will improve drastically from here simply JUST BECAUSE he is young is ridiculous. Some players are developed early and will peak early, Taranto is in this category.

Also his 2019 year is being so overhyped. Ok yes he won best and fairest but that was when Cogs/Kelly/Whitfield all missed large chunks of the year, so I guess had they not been injured Taranto would've been like top 5?...

And correctly me if I'm wrong, Taranto didn't even make AA 40 man squad let alone best 22?...

At this rate unless he finds another weapon or drastically improves his kicking he will always be B/B+ player, and will most likely never be a top 10/20 midfielder in the comp.

So Taranto is supposed to be one of the best young mids in the comp and demands multiple 1st round picks. When at the same age, Matt crouch of all people had him beat in total disposals, disposal efficiency, and won more of the ball on his own as well?

Point is, yes Tim Taranto has developed to date. But I still his attributes will stay roughly the same moving forward. And saying that he will improve drastically from here simply JUST BECAUSE he is young is ridiculous. Some players are developed early and will peak early, Taranto is in this category.

Also his 2019 year is being so overhyped. Ok yes he won best and fairest but that was when Cogs/Kelly/Whitfield all missed large chunks of the year, so I guess had they not been injured Taranto would've been like top 5?...

And correctly me if I'm wrong, Taranto didn't even make AA 40 man squad let alone best 22?...

At this rate unless he finds another weapon or drastically improves his kicking he will always be B/B+ player, and will most likely never be a top 10/20 midfielder in the comp.
Like Treloar?

You always pay for what a player projects to be when they're young, it's why Jake Lever and Adam Treloar were worth 2 first rounders as well. I don't get the argument of Matt Crouch didn't work out, player development is largely dictated by the club they're at and individual work rate/ application, put Matt Crouch of 2017 at a Richmond, Geelong, hell even Hawthorn, and that environment/ culture will make him reach closer to what his potential was, any of the Adelaide youth from then would've been better off away from that camp drama. Your claiming of Taranto has "peaked early" is baseless, he's improved year on year (except for this injury interrupted and shortened year) there's nothing to suggest he's not going to get better.
You're, for whatever reason, trying to devalue him in the eyes of bigfooty users.

You always pay for what a player projects to be when they're young, it's why Jake Lever and Adam Treloar were worth 2 first rounders as well. I don't get the argument of Matt Crouch didn't work out, player development is largely dictated by the club they're at and individual work rate/ application, put Matt Crouch of 2017 at a Richmond, Geelong, hell even Hawthorn, and that environment/ culture will make him reach closer to what his potential was, any of the Adelaide youth from then would've been better off away from that camp drama. Your claiming of Taranto has "peaked early" is baseless, he's improved year on year (except for this injury interrupted and shortened year) there's nothing to suggest he's not going to get better.
You're, for whatever reason, trying to devalue him in the eyes of bigfooty users.
No one is trying to devalue Taranto, I'm just stating my opinion on a player.

I have just yet to hear a single legitimate reason why Taranto is anything more than a B/B+ solid midfielder and why he deserves multiple 1st round picks.

I have provided my reasoning:
- As an inside mid, he wins less contested ball on his own, and somewhat relies on others to feed it to him
- As the receiver, he is one of the worst kicks in the AFL, and has horrendous turnover numbers
- Virtually no point of difference in the form of forward craft, breakaway pace or creative disposals

Others claim that just the fact that he won a best and fairest in a grand final side is enough to prove his eliteness. I have merely provided a counter example/argument to show that (1) physically advanced inside mids like Taranto develop early and peak early (2) B&F in grand final side doesn't mean you're an A grader, especially in Taranto's case who ONLY won because the genuine A graders were injured, he wasn't even selected in AA 40 squad let alone AA 22 in that year.

In response to your point of Crouch thriving at better clubs, I mean just how like how do you know this? If anything this is as baseless as it gets, because you're literally going off 0 evidence in a hypothetical scenario. In regards to Taranto, I'm actually not even sure he has improved that much year to year. He's still very much the same player as he was early on, ok on the inside, disgustingly wasteful with ball in hand. Sure his numbers have risen, but that's largely due to increased opportunity and greater minutes in the midfield. Do you actually think having Taranto improves your side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back