Is this the dullest Trade period in recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless there are some surprises we don't know yet know about, this is not shaping as an exciting Trade Period.

Grundy is the only quasi A Grader likely to move. The next most notable move looks like an ageing Goldy.

With all due respect to McKay, the interest in his move is driven more about what level of Compo nmfc is to receive. B is for Ben and B Grader.

Seems most players are happy where they are.

Thoughts?

From what I understand, there will be at least one big surprise 😉
surprise GIF

Certainly the dullest in terms of quality. There's not much at the top end.

Ben McKay in most other years wouldn't get the attention he's been getting. The discussion around his free agency compensation certainly helps but the reality is he's just an average footballer.

Having said that, there will still be plenty of activity. I reckon there's 30 odd players who could move via trade and free agency, off the top of my head that seems at least equivalent to most other recent player movement periods. Plus the usual jostling for position and points which will occur both on and prior to draft day.

Every year I'm reminded of that poster(I forget who it was) who took 2 weeks off work to 'enjoy' the whole trade period.

His rage at the end of 2 weeks of listening to Trade Radio, with barely anything of note happening, was delicious.
Is this real life? Someone took work off for trade radio? ****ing LOL. They are my new favourite person.

Page 1 of this forum is full of threads about fringe players who struggle to get games at their current clubs.

Ben McKay is the "marquee" free agent.

Pick 1 is apparently off the table.

Let the snoozefest begin.

I'm sure the journos will just throw up names to create content of players who are no chance of leaving a la Bailey Smith.

That'll get some more discussion going for Trade Radio.

I did this a month or so ago (edited since), but, you only need to see the gulf in these on field teams, to see just how bad this trade period is shaping up to be:

2022 Trade Period:

B: Logue, Frampton, B. Long
HB: J. Hunt, L. Jones, Amon
C: Acres, T. Mitchell, L. Hunter
FO: Grundy, Dunkley, Taranto
HF: O. Henry, L. Jackson, JHF
F: B. Hill (Coll.), McStay, Rankine
INT: Hopper, J. Rioli, Lobb, Gunston
Sub: O'Meara

+ Bruhn, Setterfield, Bedford, Corbett, Weidemann, T. Berry, B. Long, C. Stephens, Meek, Cordy, Shache, Tucker, Bowes and Pick 7

VS

B: BZT, B. McKay, Doedee
HB: D. Howard, Ratugolea, Z. Fisher
C: E. Hollands, Harmes, L. Henry
FO: Grundy, D. Robertson, P. Dow
HF: Gresham, Koschitzke, McAdam
F: Brockman, Chol, E. Himmelberg
INT: Goldstein, Coffield, Sweet, D. Stephens
Sub: Jordon

+ TBA

Backline is fairly strong comparatively, but the rest, hoo boy that side would get walloped like it was an expansion club entering the league.

Did lol though having Grundy in both trades sides - almost makes it worth it :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did this a month or so ago (edited since), but, you only need to see the gulf in these on field teams, to see just how bad this trade period is shaping up to be:

2022 Trade Period:

+ Bruhn, Setterfield, Bedford, Corbett, Weidemann, T. Berry, B. Long, C. Stephens, Meek, Cordy, Shache, Tucker, Bowes and Pick 7

VS

+ TBA

Backline is fairly strong comparatively, but the rest, hoo boy that side would get walloped like it was an expansion club entering the league.

Did lol though having Grundy in both trades sides - almost makes it worth it :tearsofjoy:

Well done on a cracking post.

Surely Dodoro creates some excitement in his last trade period, other than just landing the highest paid B grader in history. Can't remember when the great man Dodoro lost a trade period.

All this talk about how big the contact needs to be to trigger Band 1, posters talking about 2 x $750k, but that is based on what contracts were worth pre the CBA. Already there's a 10% increase in the 2023 contracts and even more for 2024 and 2025 so a player will need a contract well into the high $800's for 2024/25 to reach the threshold.

Love McKay to only trigger Band 2 (without gross manipulation by the AFL) and see what North and Dodoro then do - oh the LOLs

Probably still beat the Eagles by 10 goals.

Looking forward to the annual "where will Rory Lobb go?" discussion.

Also there are some good pre agents out of contract next year, but I thinknwhat Hopper fmdod last year shows it is best to wait another year before leaving, the picks the team gives up to get you as a pre agent muddies the waters somewhat.

2022 Trade Period:

VS

+ TBA

Top quality post.

Another way to generate some 'excitement' other than the thrilling trade radio, would be to rank the moving players in order of increasing dullness.
That's sure to create some "how the f*ck is so-and-so player from my team not the most exciting".

I was lazy so used the following as a starting point;

Ben McKay
Brodie Grundy
Mabior Chol
Tom Doedee
Jade Gresham

Esava Ratugolea
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
Brandan Parfitt
Liam Henry
James Harmes

Todd Goldstein
Hunter Clark
Ivan Soldo
Deven Robertson
James Jordon

Dylan Stephens
Elijah Hollands
Paddy Dow
Zac Fisher
Tyler Brockman

Jeremy Sharp
Matthew Flynn
Braydon Preuss
Nick Coffield
Tom Clurey

I lost the will to live after this..

SEN mentioned Dees are working on something that would shake the AFL to the core whatever that meant.

Only thing the board could think of is we put Oliver on the trade table. He has that suspicious 12 week hammy and Dees midfield functioned more cohesively when he was out.

SEN mentioned Dees are working on something that would shake the AFL to the core whatever that meant.

Only thing the board could think of is we put Oliver on the trade table. He has that suspicious 12 week hammy and Dees midfield functioned more cohesively when he was out.
Im thinking a godfather offer for Reid

That 6,15,24,Van Rooyen + future 1st + future 2nd type deal

I mean we'd thank you for actually making trade period interesting, but even if Melbourne formed the view they need to re-balance the list the only way that'd happen is if you could directly convert to a serious KPF.
Teams don't get great returns when they shop a player openly.

Don't think they'll move Oliver, but I am amazed there hasn't been more talk about a big move for a key forward.

They're in the window now and would just about be flag favourites heading into next season with a competent tall target in the forward 50.

Paying big for Tom Lynch makes perfect sense for them, as it does the Tigers to accept a big offer should one come his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back