Traded Jack Gunston [Traded to Hawthorn in Swap of Ryan and picks]

Remove this Banner Ad

You’d think it would be. Fagan won’t stand in his way I wouldn’t think.

He clearly wanted to change up his life last year after losing his dad so suddenly and having a relationship breakdown. Get backing home to Melb and reconnecting with friends and loved ones might be all that he wants/needs right now.

Exactly…did you read the post I was responding to? I was making the point that we’re not driving this and won’t pay for the privilege of moving Jack

I don't understand why he doesn't reunite with Clarko.
North is screaming for some quality leadership and really doesn't have this type of player up forward as another option to Larkey.
He just doesn’t have a lot left is one answer. They also do have Zurharr, who is a different player but one who is filling a similar role (mid-sized hybrid forward) some of the time. They may also draft one in Duursma

He just doesn’t have a lot left is one answer. They also do have Zurharr, who is a different player but one who is filling a similar role (mid-sized hybrid forward) some of the time. They may also draft one in Duursma
But still no experienced leaders at the club. He could do a year and then move into a coaching role at North (if that's where he wants to head career wise).

It's naive to think that Hawthorn have not been agitating behind the scenes to have Gunston return. Gunston would be in a fragile state of mind anyhow dealing with personal grief of his father's death and seeing that next year if he stays with the Lions he is playing reserves mostly which he does not want to do.

No one announces get me back to my previous club without having, the nod, the wink," Yes we'll take you back."

So now that he's announced his intentions it is almost impossible for him to stay at the Lions. If a deal is not made with the Hawks what are his options? Return to the Lions with tail between legs and be somewhere he clearly does not want to be.

Brisbane does not need draft picks this year, future picks is a good option for both clubs. As the Hawks need draft picks this year for their F/S it's unlikely they will be parting with any for Gunston. However, a deal will be made and it has emerged that a player exchange may be the best option.

No player who was at Hawthorn in Clarko’s last few years there will be putting their hand up to go to North unless it’s their only way to prolong their career(Howe, Shiels).

Jack has a contract at Lions.

Last edited:
But still no experienced leaders at the club. He could do a year and then move into a coaching role at North (if that's where he wants to head career wise).
He certainly has a lot to offer in that regard, as you said, if it’s what he wants. Plenty of clubs could benefit in that way, just not sure he’s got a lot left on the field. Some of the best forward craft of any forward in the modern era. No idea if he’s a good teacher, but he has the knowledge

It's naive to think that Hawthorn have not been agitating behind the scenes to have Gunston return. Gunston would be in a fragile state of mind anyhow dealing with personal grief of his father's death and seeing that next year if he stays with the Lions he is playing reserves mostly which he does not want to do.

No one announces get me back to my previous club without having, the nod, the wink," Yes we'll take you back."

So now that he's announced his intentions it is almost impossible for him to stay at the Lions. If a deal is not made with the Hawks what are his options? Return to the Lions with tail between legs and be somewhere he clearly does not want to be.

Brisbane does not need draft picks this year, future picks is a good option for both clubs. As the Hawks need draft picks this year for their F/S it's unlikely they will be parting with any for Gunston. However, a deal will be made and it has emerged that a player exchange may be the best option.

my comment that you're indirectly responding to is as much about the article as it is the process. i in fact listed things analogous to the nod and wink you mentioned above, but found it amusing that apparently hawthorn had 'been made aware of his request'. did they forget about that agitating? did they say, you can come back if you like, let us know, and then say he's not a priority at all? in one way or another it has made people and clubs look silly.

54k comments and this is your level of insight.

Yikes.

I love gunston as a player but physically he looks cooked.
I cant really see him playing afl games next year anywhere.
If hes on a list its as coach (to avoid the soft cap).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be incredible for our young fellas development.

Imagine getting to learn off Breust and Gunston over the next 12 months. Both those guys have some of the highest footy IQ and forward craft of the last decade.
The same bloke that didn’t have nutsack to want to help them last year and was too busy chasing glory?

Wow that is an awful take if you know what happened to him.
If you are referring to the personal stuff, then so would love to know how moving to Brisbane was going to make that better?

Bloke went chasing glory instead of repaying the club and helping the young blokes.

Only wants to come home because he can’t cut it at Brisbane.

If you are referring to the personal stuff, then so would love to know how moving to Brisbane was going to make that better?

Bloke went chasing glory instead of repaying the club and helping the young blokes.

I don't have an issue with a player who is trying to wring out one last flag leaving a rebuilding team. I was so happy for Isaac Smith and hoped for the same for Jack.

But wanting a bit of space from personal tragedy is not something anybody should be mocking here.

Anyhow, if he wants to come back I suspect our young forwards could learn a lot from one of the best forward craftsmen of the modern era.

Yeah, I can’t think of why an adult would move states just because his father passed away. Maybe it would make sense if his mother moved states and he was being a support. So if his mother didn’t move, he just went off and left her??

I thought initially he wasn’t all that happy with how the club treated Clarkson.

Maybe he was closer with Fagan? Or he wanted to have a shot at one last premiership? Or a longer contract than what Hawthorn was offering? Or concern that Mitchell was moving on the older players and he was only going to be offered a 1 yr deal?

They are all feasible reasons. Leaving your mum and having to get out of Melbourne because your father dies is highly unlikely.

Gunston not very high on Hawthorn's priority list.

We will get him if we can make a deal but if not he will end up at a club that is keen to have him play out the rest of his contract.

North are one of those clubs.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at the Roos.

Not trying to be a prick here because he's had an excellent career and well done but would Hawthorn actually want Gunston back?

Surely he's cooked. Doesn't fit into their strategy at all.
Doesn't fit list strategy. The question is how much teaching can he do on field, and is that what we want for a young forward line?

Not knowing Jack I have no idea. But anything he doesn't know about forward play wouldn't be worth knowing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back