Traded Jack Gunston [Traded to Hawthorn in Swap of Ryan and picks]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not trying to be a prick here because he's had an excellent career and well done but would Hawthorn actually want Gunston back?

Surely he's cooked. Doesn't fit into their strategy at all.

He'd be borderline best 22 only on the account of the weakness of our forward line.

His value is what he would bring to the club off the field on the training track. Ditto North as well.

Both clubs have cap space and would be a good way to circumvent soft cap.

The biggest question is if it is worth the list spot. Think it would make more sense for North.

He'd be borderline best 22 only on the account of the weakness of our forward line.

His value is what he would bring to the club off the field on the training track. Ditto North as well.

Both clubs have cap space and would be a good way to circumvent soft cap.

The biggest question is if it is worth the list spot. Think it would make more sense for North.
Ok but have U watched him play?

He can't bend over or run anymore.

He only got a contract at Brisbane cos he's mates with Fagan.

Was a mates deal.

Was a mates deal.
i thought he was cooked half way through 2022 but his end to that season was actually good, that’s probably why he got the contract.

Last edited:

Was a mates deal.
He did kick 32 goals in 16 games in 2022 in a poor team. Can see why a club like Brisbane wanted him in their forward line at the time. There were some signs that he was struggling though in the middle of that year

How dare Hawthorn not want to trade 'Brandon Ryan,' a player I definitely knew about prior to Friday and I highly rate based on watching him extensively.

I'd move on Gunston for the latest pick possible, happy to clear salary cap room. Will leave us short in forward depth but he doesn't provide backup for the roles that Hipwood/Daniher play anyway.

How dare Hawthorn not want to trade 'Brandon Ryan,' a player I definitely knew about prior to Friday and I highly rate based on watching him extensively.

I'd move on Gunston for the latest pick possible, happy to clear salary cap room. Will leave us short in forward depth but he doesn't provide backup for the roles that Hipwood/Daniher play anyway.
He wuld have been a better option than Hipwood in the granny. That boy and Schache, wow, the dictionary definition of disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 months time Hawks fans will be asking how this trade was even allowed to happen.

Bloke is cooked.
Gave up next to nothing for him.

To bring back a club champion to guide the next generation, even if its for 10 games next year, that's valuable. He's also one of he craftiest 3rd tall forwards I've ever seen. So he could quite easily slot into a coaching role.

12 months time Hawks fans will be asking how this trade was even allowed to happen.

Bloke is cooked.
We know he is cooked. He will be an assistant coach on the field for half a dozen games and a font of knowledge on the training track.

Happy to shift our picks into next year too.

The real question is how much is Brandon Ryan worth and will giving him up hurt us?

Bloke is cooked.
No we won't be, he cost next to nothing and is brought in as much for his leadership as anything. We are all well aware his body is struggling.

452 career goals tells me this is a very seriously good player. Great career.

But

I think his back is ****ed.

Bookmark this and have a go at me if he kicks more than 20 goals next season.
I think most are only expecting him to play 10-12 games next year

Please tell me which game he kicked 8 in this year?

He kicked 6 against west coast and played well. Outside of a few other games he was serviceable at best. Has been a great great player and has a lot to offer, but his best is behind him.
Gunston not at his best, even "cooked' is better than the pimple hearted Hipwood

You never know.

Isaac Smith was absolutely done in his last season at Hawthorn at 32. Could barely kick the ball 40 metres or hit a target and was breaking down physically. He went to Geelong and has been playing like he is in his prime ever since. Not saying Gunston will have that kind of turn around, but here's to hoping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back