Traded Jack Gunston [Traded to Hawthorn in Swap of Ryan and picks]

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s not cooked as a coach for a developing team. Will be a token pick he will hardly play it’s a way to get around the low soft cap when you have a lot of cap space and need development more than on field performance.
I don't mind the move from Hawthorn's side, but I think it's reasonable to question Gunston's motivations for forcing it and - following that - whether he's really going to be that good soldier, a coach on the field, an ideal mentor to some limited kid who's keeping him out of the side while he's kicking round with the Mustangs.

It sure looks like Brisbane were/are at the top of his new environment list because they were a perennial top 4 contender and he's now gone back home to a bottom three side with a very weak forward line because 'romance'. Romance is the most overrated thing in the sporting world, players signing one-day contracts to 'retire as a <<insert team they played with before they were cooked>>'.

Gary Ablett coming back to Geelong was only ever going to be a fairytale if he won a flag there in his twilight. He didn't, so it's a footnote.

Gary Ablett coming back to Geelong was only ever going to be a fairytale if he won a flag there in his twilight. He didn't, so it's a footnote.
Geelong was the oldest side in the league and bringing back GAJ only made them older. Of course getting him in required a flag to make it work.

Hawthorn are the youngest side in the league. Gunston just needs to teach the kids to make it work.

Ludicrous comparison.

I don’t care if he doesn’t play a game he’s a development coach and we avoid the soft cap.

Development coaches usually are P/T and I'd be surprised if they earn more than 75-80K
Pretty penny to pay for a development coach to avoid 80K.:rolleyes:

Development coaches usually are P/T and I'd be surprised if they earn more than 75-80K
Pretty penny to pay for a development coach to avoid 80K.:rolleyes:
Development coaches don't get to coach you in game on the field though.

What a bizarre move by Hawthorn, to rub salt in the wound they send a young key forward with potential the other way

The justification that he’s a default assistant coach is bizarre, just because he was a good player doesn’t mean he’s a good coach, or even a leader

What a bizarre move by Hawthorn, to rub salt in the wound they send a young key forward with potential the other way

The justification that he’s a default assistant coach is bizarre, just because he was a good player doesn’t mean he’s a good coach, or even a leader
"Young key forward"

26 in November

Got offered a 3 year deal to play 2s, less than a year younger than Chol

Listen to any feedback from the Lions will point to Gunston' s value as a leader in the squad

But whatever omitted info helps

"Young key forward"

26 in November

Got offered a 3 year deal to play 2s, less than a year younger than Chol

Listen to any feedback from the Lions will point to Gunston' s value as a leader in the squad

But whatever omitted info helps

Justify it how you like, Hawks aren’t making finals next year and bringing back a has been to take a young players spot in the forward line contradicts everything that the hawks have done over the last few seasons

Unless of course Sam is repeating Clarko’s mistake of overrating his squad and believing they can make finals

Who is the young forward we sent the other way and how young was he exactly?

Justify it how you like, Hawks aren’t making finals next year and bringing back a has been to take a young players spot in the forward line contradicts everything that the hawks have done over the last few seasons

Unless of course Sam is repeating Clarko’s mistake of overrating his squad and believing they can make finals
Chol is the same age as Ryan with more afl experience, Gunston likely doesn’t play every game and which young player is he supposed to be keeping out of the team?

Chol was taking Ryan's spot

Your not playing Lewis, Chol, Ryan

Again, don't let fact get in front of your opinion, Hawks wanted to keep Gunston, Mitchell gone on the record with that

Unsure of what the last statement has to do with anything, needed some experience, brought some in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We replaced Ryan a 3 game 26 year old with Chol and Gunston.

Gunston won’t be guaranteed a spot in the team, if the young players can’t kick him out they shouldn’t be playing yet.

It’s baffling how so many people can’t understand why an extremely young team with a ton of cap space brought but a leader and club legend for a year.

26 isn't young champ.

Geelong was the oldest side in the league and bringing back GAJ only made them older. Of course getting him in required a flag to make it work.

Hawthorn are the youngest side in the league. Gunston just needs to teach the kids to make it work.

Ludicrous comparison.
It was strictly comparing them in terms of being a feel-good story, the favourite son returning. I didn't see any other bottom four clubs fighting each other to get Gunston's priceless mentorship into their club once it became clear he was gettable.

In that sense, it's only ludicrous in that it's a bit insulting to Ablett.

It’s younger than 33 tiger

Yes but that wasnt your op was it:

Your point was that Gunston was taking the place of a young player. Its clear that you thought Ryan was a kid, thats ok, not many people knew much about him. But when you were corrected, you shifted the posts and doubled down.

Its ok to be wrong but it takes strength to admit it. Perhaps you dont have that capacity.

Gunston will not play many games next year. Ryan played 3 this year, subbed off with 1 handball in 1 of them. Im not really sure why so many people from other clubs are so invested in this trade.

Its not that deep.

Yes but that wasnt your op was it:

Your point was that Gunston was taking the place of a young player. Its clear that you thought Ryan was a kid, thats ok, not many people knew much about him. But when you were corrected, you shifted the posts and doubled down.

Its ok to be wrong but it takes strength to admit it. Perhaps you dont have that capacity.

Gunston will not play many games next year. Ryan played 3 this year, subbed off with 1 handball in 1 of them. Im not really sure why so many people from other clubs are so invested in this trade.

Its not that deep.
I didn’t once specify Ryan as the youngster he was replacing, but the fact is that Gunston is taking a spot that would be better served going to a developing player

As for Ryan, I am well aware he is 25, but he is a late developer and showed enough to suggest he has a future at AFL level. If you think 25 is old, then what does that make Jack?

If 17 other teams had a choice between having Gunston or Ryan on their list, they’d all pick the latter

You can tie yourself in knots trying to justify a poor decision, but it’s clear Mitchell either had his blinkers on for an ex premiership teammate, or he’s overestimating his list

I didn’t once specify Ryan as the youngster he was replacing, but the fact is that Gunston is taking a spot that would be better served going to a developing player

As for Ryan, I am well aware he is 25, but he is a late developer and showed enough to suggest he has a future at AFL level. If you think 25 is old, then what does that make Jack?

If 17 other teams had a choice between having Gunston or Ryan on their list, they’d all pick the latter

You can tie yourself in knots trying to justify a poor decision, but it’s clear Mitchell either had his blinkers on for an ex premiership teammate, or he’s overestimating his list
Gunston replaces Greene on the list. Neither have a place in our next flag team. Gunston purely being bought back for his leadership.

It’s not like we have an abundance of old players keeping our youth out.

We instead have an incredibly young list. He will provide some leadership and hopefully help our forwards develop.

His on field performance is pretty negligible to this trade.

That is not a fact though. You're just making it up.

Except Adams is 30 and he is joining a team having a serious tilt at a premiership, not a rabble who will spend the next couple of seasons in the bottom 4

Since this 'rabble' was the only side to go undefeated against the eventual Grand Finalists, I'd say the entire competition must be close to a rabble by your definition of it.

I haven't voiced it on here, but I find the Adams acquisition a strange one because I dont believe the Swans are a genuine premiership contender. Who gets pushed out for him? You guys look far better with Mills in the guts and Warner should be playing as close to maximum minutes as possible. Rowbottom goes under the radar but is a good talent.
Does Parker play 70/30 forward/mid?
Roberts is a ball winner and was looking promising before a knee injury ended his season.
James Jordon is a good addition.

Sydney should be ensuring their young talent are getting max minutes in the midfield (like we did with Day and Newcombe) to fast track the development. You're age demographic means you should be a finals contender at a minimum for the next 5-8 years. Does Adam hinder that if he's stealing mid minutes in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back