Traded Jack Gunston [Traded to Hawthorn in Swap of Ryan and picks]

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne FC would seem a good option to have a crack to see if they can convince him to do a year or two there instead.
On paper yes, in reality, probably no. Gunston is a lead-up player who relies on space and good delivery inside 50 (the polar opposite to our strategy of trying to kick the ball to the moon every time we go forward). Would likely struggle in our system.

On paper yes, in reality, probably no. Gunston is a lead-up player who relies on space and good delivery inside 50 (the polar opposite to our strategy of trying to kick the ball to the moon every time we go forward). Would likely struggle in our system.
In reality you are 4 forwards short. You need someone at HF who can make a short lead so you arnt forced to bomb it on peoples heads all the time

Why on earth would Brisbane do that?

Hawthorn and Gunston are both lucky Brisbane are entertaining this at all, and you want them to throw a free second round pick in for the privilege?
Humor, subtlety and irony are not your strong points?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume this was back up for Chol not working out?
Takes Ferg Greenes spot on the list. Great leadership for the youngsters.

Members(and Sam) will love to have him back.

In reality you are 4 forwards short. You need someone at HF who can make a short lead so you arnt forced to bomb it on peoples heads all the time
That's Fritsch's role, really, and at this point of their careers, he's better at it than Gunston. Still doesn't seem to help with our ball movement, however.

With JVR, Petty, Petracca, Pickett, Fritsch, McAdam, Neal-Bullen and Chandler, I don't think we're 'four forwards short', but I certainly won't argue that we're still missing a big key forward who competes in the air and offers a strong target. I just don't think that is Gunston at this point of his career, though.

didnt work out, both parties move on

hawks let him come to us for a token pick, same will get done going back the other way

Thats not how it works.

As hawthorn found out with Mitchell and JOM this season. Brisbane to pay half his salary and to throw in a pick. I would imagine list spots at Brisbane are rather limited so Hawthorn would be doing Brisbane a solid favour.

Thats not how it works.

As hawthorn found out with Mitchell and JOM this season. Brisbane to pay half his salary and to throw in a pick. I would imagine list spots at Brisbane are rather limited so Hawthorn would be doing Brisbane a solid favour.
Lol

Laughable from Hawthorn and selfish from Gunston. He’s finished.

The ‘leadership’ excuse is funny as well, he’s finished as a player, make him a coach if you value him so highly.

Like a lot of ageing players, he spends a lot of time on the ground these days.
It’s the “safest” place on a footy field and you don’t have to chase either …

The ‘leadership’ excuse is funny as well, he’s finished as a player, make him a coach if you value him so highly.

Gunston's has one more year of his contract with Brisbane, they can either honour that or make it attractive for hawthorn to take it on.
Brisbane is the mover on this and gain by opening up a list spot and saving on their cap, therefore, will need to make it worthwhile for hawthorn to take Gunston on.

We have heaps of cap space and it's a way for us to pay for a 'coach' without having it come out of our soft cap.

He will be handy enough to play maybe 5-6 games throughout the season and be so valuable for our young forwards.

Would also be great to actually have a Hawks champion retire in our colours.

Dude thinks he's Brodie Grundy and wants to change clubs like picking up a new hotel in Monopoly :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back