Traded Brandon Ryan [Traded to Brisbane in Swap of Gunston and picks]

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching him live vs North in Hobart in round 23, Chol looked average in a forward line of himself, Casboult and Chris Burgess.

I'm shocked that you guys gave up a promising youngster in Ryan and brought in Chol.
Ryan was definitely promising, but he is 26 mate. Also remember every club didn't draft him for 7 years. How could we begrudge a bloke who was picked up mid-season on a basic salary for 1 year when another club offers him 3 years on a little more?

Chol is nowhere near ideal but not as bad for us as you think.
Gold Coast had a better season in 2022 (percentage 103 vs 92) with Chol playing the whole season alongside Casbolt rather than Casbolt and King this year. He was only played 8 games this year but also kicked 40 goals in the VFL with bags of 5 and 4 in the Prelim and Granny respectively. played a GF. Definitely worth a punt.

And for the VFL GCS vs BHH Prelim their stat were:

2023 VFL Prelim Final Stats - both playing KFPCholRyan
K122
H45
D167
M113
HO03
T23
G5 Golas 41 Bh

Last edited:

Silly by hawks. Lose two KPFs so they have no support for Lewis and bring in a non competitive 3rd tall type who will now see the 2nd best key defender every week

I agree we're thin in the key forward department but trading Ryan allowed us to bring in Chol (and Gunston).

At first, I thought we wouldn't trade Ryan (when I heard there'd be a deal for Gunston) as we really do need key forwards, he'd get more games at the Hawks and Gunston is nearly cooked.

When I heard they were offering a 2nd rounder (as well as Gunston) and 3 years, then I'm not at all surprised the Hawks accepted.

He was playing local footy 12 months ago, is 26, very skinny and quite raw. He's a mid season draftee that's played 3 games and had 18 possessions and 4 goals in his career (8 of his 18 possessions have been clangers). He's played 1 good game, 1 average game and 1 awful game.

To offer a decent contract and a 2nd rounder for someone so speculative is really quite surprising.

(I suppose Brisbane are in a flag window and with Gunston struggling and Fullarton gone, they need the depth cover for injury?)

(I suppose Brisbane are in a flag window and with Gunston struggling and Fullarton gone, they need the depth cover for injury?)

With Fullarton and Gunston gone, we need the KPF depth as the talls in our reserves are predominately ruckmen.

According to Daly (Lions GM), Gunston only very recently told us he was wanting to leave (supposedly told Fagan on Friday) which didn't give us very much time to find a replacement. I guess we did what we could with the time we had.

With Fullarton and Gunston gone, we need the KPF depth as the talls in our reserves are predominately ruckmen.

According to Daly (Lions GM), Gunston only very recently told us he was wanting to leave (supposedly told Fagan on Friday) which didn't give us very much time to find a replacement. I guess we did what we could with the time we had.

Yes, that makes sense (and to win a flag, you'd be happy to pay slightly overs to ensure you have a back up plan).

It actually leaves Hawthorn very thin for key forwards ourselves. We have Lewis and Chol, but Lewis has not missed fewer than 7 games in any season of his career.

That's it really, unless you count DGB (struggled and more of a backman), Gunston, Greene (not key forwards) or someone like Ramsden (not ready).

You'd hope we have a free agent lined up for next year or a mature age interim guy to draft or something (realising the Ryan news cam elate for us too).

Yes, that makes sense (and to win a flag, you'd be happy to pay slightly overs to ensure you have a back up plan).

It actually leaves Hawthorn very thin for key forwards ourselves. We have Lewis and Chol, but Lewis has not missed fewer than 7 games in any season of his career.

That's it really, unless you count DGB (struggled and more of a backman), Gunston, Greene (not key forwards) or someone like Ramsden (not ready).

You'd hope we have a free agent lined up for next year or a mature age interim guy to draft or something (realising the Ryan news cam elate for us too).

Yeah, if Hipwood or Daniher went down for any sort of extended period, our next best key forward option would be Darcy Fort who's kicked 16 goals and 18 marks inside 50 in his 33 game career. Ryan buys us a back up plan, and given next year's picks will probably end up being used for points, moving our FR2 down to Hawthorn's FR4 costs us ~200 points or so (equivalent to early 3rd round pick) which isn't the end of the world.

Watching him live vs North in Hobart in round 23, Chol looked average in a forward line of himself, Casboult and Chris Burgess.

I'm shocked that you guys gave up a promising youngster in Ryan and brought in Chol.
Youngster??? :D

Brandon Ryan is 26 years old

Born:7-Nov-1997
Height: 200cm
Weight: 91kg
Games: 3
Goals: 4

Mabior Chol

Born:29-Jan-1997
Games: 61
Goals: 78

Youngster??? :D

Brandon Ryan is 26 years old

Born:7-Nov-1997
Games: 3
Goals: 4

Mabior Chol

Born:29-Jan-1997
Games: 61
Goals: 78
I thought he was a kid cos he's a bloody stick 😂😂

I watched Chol for years mate. One of the most frustrating players I've ever seen. Can do freakish things, but can't do the basics well at all.

I thought he was a kid cos he's a bloody stick 😂😂

I watched Chol for years mate. One of the most frustrating players I've ever seen. Can do freakish things, but can't do the basics well at all.

Biggest frustration watching Chol is that he seems to refuse to work hard outside of a set perimeter within his vicinity inside 50. Unless the ball comes into this area, he doesn't really work hard to find the ball by leading up the ground or to the wings. Would be interesting to see how many of his disposals are inside forward 50. Like you said, has an abundance of talent though.

Bris got a good one here. Reckon he'll develop into a very good fwd.

Glad to hear it - I knew nothing about him other than the Lions were very quick to pivot so he was someone they obviously knew a bit about

We were a bit exposed with Fullerton leaving so this should be a good fit for club and player…plus I’m glad we got Jack to where he wanted to be, he’s a champion of the game and deserves to finish his career where he feels most at home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane seemed to give up alot to get a 26 year old who has played 2 games...

With Daniher and Hipwood locked in I don't see how much he plays either.

With all the pick swaps, it ends up being ~pick 65 worth of points if ladder positions stay the same. We improved our hand this year (where we will take live picks in the draft), and will probably lose equivalent to a third round pick points wise next year (when we'll be hopefully matching bids for Ashcroft).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back