Traded Jack Gunston [Traded to Hawthorn in Swap of Ryan and picks]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn should get back Buddy Franklin for a final year too, why not have the kids learn from the best , still would be a better player than Gunston
Blues Brothers Dan Akroyd GIF

Why not go one better? Throw in Darcy Gardiner who has 2 years as a further salary dump which helps you in the window for 51 and f3?

Nah we need Dizzy for third or second tall cover until Doedee is back from ACL in the second half of season.

Right now its Andrews, Payne, Lester and Gardiner. Joyce is there as well but Gardiner is more experienced/proven.

Nah we need Dizzy for third or second tall cover until Doedee is back from ACL in the second half of season.

Right now its Andrews, Payne, Lester and Gardiner. Joyce is there as well but Gardiner is more experienced/proven.
We can throw in frosty as defensive cover if you upgrade to an f2!

We can throw in frosty as defensive cover if you upgrade to an f2!

We have Levi Ashcroft and academy kid Sam Marshall coming through in 2024. Need all the picks we have and more.

So the best deal we'll be willing to do for Gunston or anyone are the ones which doesn't affect our salary cap or future picks.

We dont need any cash from Brisbane and shouldnt even be raising it. Take on his contract and give a late pick.
If the Lions want him gone & to free up cap space for other players, should be a no-brainer for a nothing late pick.

So gather Hawks are keen to have Gunston back for experience? Looked cooked... but perhaps homesickness.

If the Lions want him gone & to free up cap space for other players, should be a no-brainer for a nothing late pick.

So gather Hawks are keen to have Gunston back for experience? Looked cooked... but perhaps homesickness.

I don't think we necessarily want him gone; with him and Fullarton leaving we have very little KPF depth (regardless of quality). However, if he's asking to leave I'm sure we'll facilitate it for a nothing pick.

I can't imagine this would've come out if Gunston hadn't spoken to Hawthorn, nor if Hawthorn didn't have interest in getting him back to the club. He'd offer great leadership for their young forwards as mentioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think my heart could survive our key defenders chipping it around to each other if you add Frosty in too.
Frost doesn't chip it to his teammates. More about hit the opposition players on the chest

Hawks aware of Gunston request, focus on other priorities​

By Jon Pierik​

Hawthorn have been made aware of Brisbane’s Jack Gunston’s request for a trade back to his old club, the Hawks, and will assess the request.
However, they say their focus, as of right now, remains on bigger fish to fry.
“We are engaged in other trade discussions that remain our priority,” the club said.
“These longer term priorities may preclude any discussions with Brisbane progressing.”

i am surprised at how this seems to have played out; i thought clubs put the feelers out, get the player wanting to move away, then the player requests.

i request to be traded to carlton. can someone let them know? thanks!

That was 3 years ago.
Alot has changed since then.
I doubt he wants to play VFL, which is probably why he is leaving Brisbane.

Gunston will be playing vfl wherever he goes.

He might be cooked as you say at 32

hasn‘t stopped other clubs bringing in cooked 35 year olds either
Well If Gunston goes to another Vic club other than hawks, this is the 4th club he would be at.

Tom Hickey is the last player I can think of that has been to not only 4 AFL clubs list , but played in 4 teams too.

I was more referring to his “disappearance” from Adelaide.

He had a questionable experience in his footy background. I was querying if this had happened again.

These days a heap of players leave after their compulsory 2 years.

One of the reasons why the AFL need to make it 3 years for top 20 draftees. Give the clubs more time to work on convincing the players to stay.

That's Fritsch's role, really, and at this point of their careers, he's better at it than Gunston. Still doesn't seem to help with our ball movement, however.

With JVR, Petty, Petracca, Pickett, Fritsch, McAdam, Neal-Bullen and Chandler, I don't think we're 'four forwards short', but I certainly won't argue that we're still missing a big key forward who competes in the air and offers a strong target. I just don't think that is Gunston at this point of his career, though.
Fritch reminds me of Gunston everytime I watch him play.
Even without Fritch, I’m not sure Gunston has enough in the tank to crack Melbourne’s 23 anyhow.
The Brisbane idea was good on paper, just doesn’t have enough left to make it work. I can’t think of too many teams off the top of my head that would be a good fit for him now sadly. His role still makes some sense for hawthorn at least

Fritch reminds me of Gunston everytime I watch him play.
Even without Fritch, I’m not sure Gunston has enough in the tank to crack Melbourne’s 23 anyhow.
The Brisbane idea was good on paper, just doesn’t have enough left to make it work. I can’t think of too many teams off the top of my head that would be a good fit for him now sadly. His role still makes some sense for hawthorn at least
I don't understand why he doesn't reunite with Clarko.
North is screaming for some quality leadership and really doesn't have this type of player up forward as another option to Larkey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back