Traded Taylor Adams [traded to Sydney for pick #33]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really

Adams is 30.
On big coin.
Bit of a plodder.
Not even that amazing at clearances. Ranks 55 in the AFL for clearances.
Pies need minutes in Macrae.
Pies just won a GF without him

Think Pies did ok all things considered.
He played half foward this year so thats the reason for the clearence numbers.

Not really

Adams is 30.
On big coin.
Bit of a plodder.
Not even that amazing at clearances. Ranks 55 in the AFL for clearances.
Pies need minutes in Macrae.
Pies just won a GF without him

Think Pies did ok all things considered.
He played mainly forward flank this year...

I like this trade for all parties.

For the Pies, Adams has done a great job at half forward this year (our most goal assists) but it was getting awkward at times at selection with his limited midfield minutes. If we get Schultz we get a better and younger fit for his role, and reportedly cheaper too considering how heavily back-ended Tay's contract was.

For the Swans, they'll be able to play him to his strengths as an inside mid especially with Mills' injury. And don't underestimate his leadership qualities, he is a big reason our training standards are one of the bests in the comp. Very dedicated, very motivated player that will do great for the Swans youngsters and will give 110% every game (I think they lacked leadership at times with their injuries last year).

For Adams, he gets a chance to prolong his career in an on field role he enjoys. Historically he has been injury prone so getting a 3 year deal at his age is good for security.

It hurts that he didn't get to play in the GF and get his medal as he's one of the unlucky 2018 players who deserved the closure it brought (he was undoubtedly our best on ground in the GF). I already have a soft spot for the Swans but if we're not in the race for the flag at some point next year I'll be cheering hard for Adams and Grundy to get their medals.

Nothing to do with the trade value, but I’m sad to see Tay go. He’s a heart and soul player that bleeds for the jumper. I truly hope Swannies fans fall in love with him like us Pies fans have over the years.

The type of player I’d stand taller next to on a footy field. I love those types so much.

Not convinced we were chasing, so highly likely we got a call. Anytime a seasoned pro wants to join you always do your best.
33 sounds about right for age and injury history.
He'll definitely get good midfield time if that is what he wants. Popular guy will fit in very well. Welcome to the club.

It appears he did
Hahahahahahaha

Look my thought was that Grundy would set the precedent for the value of players at and around 30, and with Grundy having no injury concerns and being one of the two best ruckman of the past 10 years you had to put a higher price tag on his trade value than Adams. There was no way Grundy was going for anything better than 25, especially considering he went for 27 or something a year prior. So Adams was always going to be similar or slightly less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back