Traded Brodie Grundy [traded to Sydney for #46 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerard Whately believes he will be on the move to a third club.

Gawn wound back the clock had the best game of his season by a mile without Grundy playing. If it happens again next week there will be mounting pressure on Melbourne to likely move Grundy on. Probably interest from Grundy too if he can’t get even get a game.

I’d be interested at Port even at the 700k figure if it just cost a third rounder or something. Then just letting Lycett walk to Collingwood.

The question is if he goes to a 3rd club does collingwood still pay part of his contract or did that deal only apply if hes at melbourne?
I think I read somewhere that both teams would be paying part of his wage to play at a third club. Not sure if that’s true though.

If TDK leaves, would love him at Carlton if Collingwood and Melbourne are going to be paying big chunks of salary.

But you'd assume that Port is probably the favourite to get him, Lycett looks pretty cooked and Port are premiership contenders.

What is Melbourne paying him?

I can't imagine another club wanting to pay more than $450k or so for a decent ruck with no versatility. And even then he'd be worth a 3rd rounder.

Are Melbourne willing to pony up a pick to dump his salary too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Melbourne paying him?

I can't imagine another club wanting to pay more than $450k or so for a decent ruck with no versatility. And even then he'd be worth a 3rd rounder.

Are Melbourne willing to pony up a pick to dump his salary too?
Unfortunately Grundy has only ever shown himself to be a pure ruck and he reads the flight of the ball to poorly to be a good forward. He just doesnt fit well into a Melbourne side with Gawn in the team. Melbourne signing him at about 650K a year for 5 years was a bad call similar to our deal we sign him up for. Melbourne should trade him at the end of the year.
Maybe they should look to package up Grundy for a TDK type. They would also have to pay a bit of his salary and throw in a draft pick as well.

How? English is on track to be the AA ruck and Grundy has been dropped because he can't play forward
Which is great for the individual for sure, but our team would be better served having Brodie Grundy tapping it to our midfielders with Tim English pinch hitting than having Tim in there all the time. Just an opinion mate :)

Yeah we will definitely let him leave and rely on our 32 year old ruck off two recos to play on indefinitely
They're only 2 years difference in age and Grundy is the one who looks to be slowing down.

Do you really want to keep a guy on $700k a year just to be backup for Gawn for the next 2-3 years till he retires?

Which is great for the individual for sure, but our team would be better served having Brodie Grundy tapping it to our midfielders with Tim English pinch hitting than having Tim in there all the time. Just an opinion mate :)
Tim has more hitouts and hitouts to advantage then him,

Grundy has never been a great tap ruckman

The main reason Gawn was able to dominate on Friday night is because Grundy has given him a chop out all year. Max can't shoulder the full-time ruck burden all year now. That's why he was driving the Grundy acquisition.

Grundy will be back in a couple of weeks and in a couple of years he'll take over when Max retires and Verrall will partner him.

Grundy will see out his contract at MFC.

Grundy would be in his rights to be annoyed. If you watch the "Show me the money" documentary the pitch was pretty clear. Grundy would be primary ruck while Gawn would play more forward. I believe a 70/30 split was even referenced.

That hasn't happened from the moment Grundy arrived. Even in the preseason and early rounds it has been 50/50 at best. When he has got to play predominant ruck he has been really good.

Of course Grundy also has to take some responsibility in picking just about the only club where he wouldn't be the best ruckman but Melbourne sure hasn't held up their end of the deal.

Would be best for both parties if he leaves.

They're only 2 years difference in age and Grundy is the one who looks to be slowing down.

Do you really want to keep a guy on $700k a year just to be backup for Gawn for the next 2-3 years till he retires?
Three years difference. Regardless, Grundy will get back into the team. He’s been pretty good, even his forward craft has been better than at the Pies, he will just need to sacrifice his game more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back