Traded Jack Ginnivan [Traded with #39, F2 & F4 to Hawthorn for #33, F2 & F3]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ignore the bitter trolls hawk fans. Although Ginni is no certainty to make it if he trains hard and you get him close to goal he could be a real gem going forward. He will kick 25-40 goals for you. Very good both sides of the body a great shot for goal and a solid mark for his size. If anyone can get the most out of him its one of his idols in Sam Mitchell. Good luck next season.

Last years trade for Tom Mitchell worked out well for both clubs, hopefully similar result for this trade.

Too harsh IMO.

Has his weaknesses but only 1 Carlton player in the last 30 years has kicked more goals at the same age as Ginnivan is now.

That player is Eddie Betts - who kicked 2 more goals from 15 more games. Not Harry McKay, not Charlie Curnow, not Brendan Fevola, not Jeff Garlett or any of your other smalls.

Of course, that's not to say Ginni will be close to any of those players but does demonstrate he has shown something more than being a 'cancerous spud'.
He's shown the ability to make a mockery out of the rules and use this to generate undeserved goals. Congrats, somehow managed to get to 40 of them in one season through this technique. Now he's going to get a 4 year contract, well done. I think it's very safe to say he will never kick that many goals in a season again. But he might still be able to develop into a nice role player, but that's his peak in my opinion. He doesn't have the physical attributes to be any better then that, and then you add the immaturity and locker room issues I just think he's not worth picking up. But can understand the young Hawks taking a punt.

He's shown the ability to make a mockery out of the rules and use this to generate undeserved goals. Congrats, somehow managed to get to 40 of them in one season through this technique. Now he's going to get a 4 year contract, well done. I think it's very safe to say he will never kick that many goals in a season again. But he might still be able to develop into a nice role player, but that's his peak in my opinion. He doesn't have the physical attributes to be any better then that, and then you add the immaturity and locker room issues I just think he's not worth picking up. But can understand the young Hawks taking a punt.
Are you dumb enough to think he kicked 40 goals from ducking free kicks? Someone posted the stats, you take out the clear ducking free kicks from that season he still kicked 33 goals.

Assuming ladder positions stay the same, it ‘values’ him at pick 23.

I did a quick calc and came up with pick 20 approx, assuming no f/s bids or compo or whatever next year (which of course we know won't happen in reality).

Ginni + 967 points in for Hawks
1887 points in for Pies
= 920 diff = approx pick 20

IF Pies drop 3 spots and Hawks jump 3 to 13th it equates to 685 points diff or pick 28 roughly

What does Luke Breust have that Jack doesn't? Breust isn't fast, doesn't have great endurance, doesn't have burst speed, doesn't have a great leap, isn't strong 1v1, isn't a good overhead mark but yet is still a top 5 small forward of the last 30 years.

What does Luke Breust have that Jack doesn't? Breust isn't fast, doesn't have great endurance, doesn't have burst speed, doesn't have a great leap, isn't strong 1v1, isn't a good overhead mark but yet is still a top 5 small forward of the last 30 years.
Yet I would still say he easily has Ginnivan covered in every single one of those attributes.

Of course Ginnivan can turn things around at Hawthorn.

Whatever you may think of Jack, the fact is he's 20 years old. He's immature and frankly seems a complete idiot, and he has made some very poor decisions through his short career to date, but he is still very young.

With more maturity and perspective and a new environment...anyone who thinks he can't turn things around is being silly.

But let's not put all our eggs in the Sam Mitchell basket. If Jack does turn things around it's not going to be solely because of Sam's influence. There will be many people who influence that.
Why the hell would you bring common sense, logic and write some considered non bias and intelligent on a BigFooty.com forum? 😊

well said, agree whole heartedly

Im not even a big fan of Ginni, he's one dimensional, a poor athlete, doesn't have much of a pressure game and isn't very good in the air. He's not a great fit for Fly's gamestyle where he wants multi dimensional players across the field. I'm fine with the decision to move him on. But the kids goal sense and forward craft positioning is elite. Literally no doubt about that, and I think we got unders for him due to his potential value and production in a different system that accommodates his skillset better than we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo, even indirectly, still being a great club for Hawthorn trades 😊

and Graham Wright has always been a good bloke to deal with trade wise.

Hawthorn has huge holes in a forward line and list, to get a bloke who kicks goals can only help, no matter what his maturity is like at this stage.

Are you dumb enough to think he kicked 40 goals from ducking free kicks? Someone posted the stats, you take out the clear ducking free kicks from that season he still kicked 33 goals.
I watched that highlights package the other day, he gets goals from half chances and marks deep in the pockets.
His ducking was blown out of proportion because he was silly enough to puff about doing it, others like Cody Weightman still duck and flop away week in week out while the umpires gently fellate him.
I'm of the opinion we made out like bandits on this trade.

Nothing is ever quite as bad, nor quite as good as they appear.
Jack is a handy player. Hawfies will love him some weeks and tear their hair out in others.
No animosity, he played his part (albeit a minor one) in getting us a flag, so we’ll see you at the reunions.
It would be the decent thing however for Hawthorn to now finish 18th and us 1st again in 2024 so those traded picks are top value.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Breust is decently strong in a 1 v 1. Always manages to push off at the right time and is really hard to tackle.

What Breust does is read the ball off the pack better than anyone. Ginnivan doesn’t come close to that.

Discredited?

They're literally the factual numbers.
He was the sub for over a 3rd of those games you’re sharing as factual numbers 😂

Just because you shared stats, doesn’t make them correct in the context of what you’re trying to portray.

Breust is decently strong in a 1 v 1. Always manages to push off at the right time and is really hard to tackle.

What Breust does is read the ball off the pack better than anyone. Ginnivan doesn’t come close to that.
It isnt like bruest just showed up at the club with all the smarts he has today. A lot of that was learnt. And he can teach it to the youngsters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back