Traded Jack Ginnivan [Traded with #39, F2 & F4 to Hawthorn for #33, F2 & F3]

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a very smart footballer and isn't soft as some people like to make out.

In saying that, dead set some of the efforts are lazy.

My biggest concern with Ginni now would be he won a flag and just recieved a big contract.

How motivated is he to be the best footballer possible?

Last edited:
He is a very smart footballer and isn't soft as some people like to make out.

I'm saying that, dead set some of the efforts are lazy.

My biggest concern with Ginni now would be he won a flag and just recieved a big contract.

How motivated is he to be the best footballer possible?
He didn't receive a big contract though. The next contract will be big. If he earns it.

He didn't receive a big contract though. The next contract will be big. If he earns it.
He’s just come off a fairly minimal contract onto the biggest one he has ever seen in his short career, and one with the most certainty he has had in his short career. I know it’s not $1m a year, but it’s a pretty big upgrade for him.

Not saying it’ll impact his effort, but he’s done well in the last 24 hours to set himself up financially for the next 3-4 years. To BEEG ’s point, will be interesting to see how he responds to that.

He’s just come off a fairly minimal contract onto the biggest one he has ever seen in his short career, and one with the most certainty he has had in his short career. I know it’s not $1m a year, but it’s a pretty big upgrade for him.

Not saying it’ll impact his effort, but he’s done well in the last 24 hours to set himself up financially for the next 3-4 years. To BEEG ’s point, will be interesting to see how he responds to that.
Agreed, but he will know that if he performs well there are bigger contracts to come.

Players who get 800k when there is nowhere to go but down are the ones that scare me. You know the sort of player and contract I mean.

23, 33, 41 for 38, 39, 74 if this year's finishing spots repeat. Bit more than nothing.
This is incorrect, it's not Hawthorn's future second round (23'ish) it's Brisbane's future 2nd who should finish top 4 so it's more 32-40 range.

edit
My mistake, I've confused the Ginnivan trade with the Chol trade which we sent Brisbane's future second to GC.

Last edited:

It's more years and money then he was on yesterday.

This is a trade that seems quite fair for all parties involved.

Hawks gambling a little on improving in 2024 - but at this stage you would expect them to finish in the 9-13 range (which is an improvement.
Collingwood should be at the pointy end again, but their future 2nd can't get any 'worse' from a Hawthorn perspective. They move out a player in a position that they are now well stocked.

Ginnivan himself gets more money (how much more is unknown), but a longer contract with some stability and a team with a need in his position.

You need to remember he isn't just going to a random club. He's living out his dream under the tutelage of his idol. If anything he will want to impress big time not just cruise around. Sam won't put up with any nonsense anyway and I think when they had there chat a couple of days ago that would have been made pretty clear to Ginni. He's going to the best club possible for his personal situation. If we can't rein him in nobody will.

You need to remember he isn't just going to a random club. He's living out his dream under the tutelage of his idol. If anything he will want to impress big time not just cruise around. Sam won't put up with any nonsense anyway and I think when they had there chat a couple of days ago that would have been made pretty clear to Ginni. He's going to the best club possible for his personal situation. If we can't rein him in nobody will.
Why?

So what you are saying is that he didn't want to impress his coaches at Collingwood?
Or that he will only be serious playing under his idol?

I doubt Macrae put up with his 'nonsense' when he had him languishing in the VFL for a large part of the season until he proved himself. Not many coaches would do that to a young player coming off a 40 goal season. Not many clubs would basically show they are open to moving that player along at short notice.

But I'm intrigued why the Hawks are the best club to rein him in over any other club in the competition. Didn't Richmond tell us they were? Or Geelong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a distance (and who really knows) but Pies seemed happy enough to let him go when you compare the stance taken on Ollie Henry
The Pies wanted to keep Henry. No doubt about it. That's why the club was annoyed he wanted to go 'home'. Would have complimented the forward line well as that marking forward. He was rated higher.

Been really solid this year. Hard position to play in a poor side.

6, 3, 4 and 4 tackle stats over the past month of footy has been the most welcome surprise if I'm honest. Has improved in this area and continues to hit the scoreboard most weeks as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back