Traded Paddy Dow [Traded to St Kilda in 4-Team Trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

He sounds like he's back on the table.

What's the issues with the guy? Sounds like he's smashing it in the VFL.

Depends which issue:
1. He is only on our list becasue for some reason we gave him an extra year mid contract for apparently decent coin - so no-else would touch him last trade period
2. Not getting a game because doesnt run defensively and foot skills
3. Voss doesnt rate him at all, presumably doesnt even speak to him and have it on 'good authority' (might be made up) he doesnt even own a pass to get into the clubrooms, gets changed in public toilets 😜🤣

Ed Curnow is getting a game ahead of Paddy Dow.

Let that sink in for a second.

Ed Curnow.

Something isn't right.

IMO he could be WCE's best player right now.

but he lacks the chance to do it... and by years end ...the bias will go to others..either kids or what ever. Matures that lose favour are up against it.

I can remember back when Pods was brought on the the Geelong list ... and the questions were why he had been missed... and to some degree..once a player has been overlooked... all begin to think on the player as being not worth a chance , there must be something wrong... as everyone else has passed judgement on them... everyone cant be wrong...can they?

Paddy Dow is 23.

Ridiculous if he does not get another chance.

Will end up somewhere as a DFA you’d imagine
He will, solely based on great VFL form but, sadly his VFL form is very much like his u/18s form that had him firmly touted as a top 3 pick that year by all. He wins the ball out of a stoppage, speeds away with his quick first 5 meters and has that extra second you have of space that you simply don’t get in the AFL.

In the VFL if you’re that far ahead from the stoppage even if you shank a kick as long as you get it in the general direction of a leading forward you end up hitting a target. Add the lack of time you have in the AFL that shank just becomes a shank and a turnover.

Additionally in the VFL accountability doesn’t matter as much because most weeks you’re going to be the one the opposition is hunting, so it doesn’t matter if you refuse to run both ways.

He just doesn’t have it. Great VFL player, probably wins the Liston.

Only on the list because Setters was out of contract and he was in though.

Any club who picks him up get ready for more of the same

It’s all a bit strange to me. I’m sure he’s got his weaknesses but for a guy tearing it up in the VFL to not even get a look in for a side that is struggling to find a win with 5 forced changes.

They don’t really have a lot to lose by giving him one more shot to see if he can do something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SOS will bring him to the Saints in '24

Would love him on the list TBH but I think he might be too much like Bytel who is already in and out of the team. They'd be a great pair to take over from Steele and Crouch though and would free Owens, Windhager and Phillippou to rotate forward as well.

Genuinely though I think he could be great for a team like West Coast.

Would play every week. Mature body to help transition from the older mids in Kelly and Shuey to the next wave of kids coming through.

It’s all a bit strange to me. I’m sure he’s got his weaknesses but for a guy tearing it up in the VFL to not even get a look in for a side that is struggling to find a win with 5 forced changes.

They don’t really have a lot to lose by giving him one more shot to see if he can do something.

His VFL form is vastly different to his AFL form.

Too much of a deer in headlights at elite/AFL level.

I don't expect that to change at his next club (wherever that is)

He has had enough chances over 5 years.

Just not up to it

Imo he can only thrive in place of Cripps as the go to at centre bounces. Outside game isnt the greatest etc but his 1 wood is exploding out of stoppages and giving it out to runners in heavy traffic.

Thats never going to happen unless Cripps leaves so a near certainty to be gone end of year.

Thought he was pretty handy when he came on.

Clearly not rated by the coaches though, even coming on with fresh legs he still didn't get a lot of game time.

Be interesting to see if he holds his spot, definitely looks better than a few that have been getting games ahead of him.

With the season all but done he could be one of the only potential positives left in 2023. I hope he stays in the side the rest of the season, plays some good footy and signs a contract extension.

It would suck to see him play regularly at another club for peanuts. I suspect it will happen. Like Setterfield and Stocker before him.

Would love him on the list TBH but I think he might be too much like Bytel who is already in and out of the team. They'd be a great pair to take over from Steele and Crouch though and would free Owens, Windhager and Phillippou to rotate forward as well.

Genuinely though I think he could be great for a team like West Coast.

Would play every week. Mature body to help transition from the older mids in Kelly and Shuey to the next wave of kids coming through.
Agreed, WCE would be a great fit.

We have another poorly developed mid (Carroll) who I think will be in their colours next year.

Agreed, WCE would be a great fit.

We have another poorly developed mid (Carroll) who I think will be in their colours next year.
That's the question about Dow and Carlton though isn't it? Is it the player or is it the development? Carroll looked good early, Dow looks great in the 2s. Are they playing these kids in the same positions that they are playing in the 2s when they come into the firsts. It's no good playing Dow as a permanent inside mid in the 2nds if they shove him out to wing or half forward when promoted. You play him on the wing or half forward in the 2nds. A lot of clubs don't seem to realise that the 2nds are training grounds for the 1sts. It's not about wins and losses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back