Remove this Banner Ad

Great topic.

There is some great photos on the net all over the place of people in really old photos/situations wearing apparel that was not around in those days and holding/using items that were invented close to 50 years after which i will elaborate on after your thread is going!

Can't wait for the thread! :thumbsu:

So there are numerous cases of supposed time travel and this is the thread for discussing them.

Please feel to introduce new cases in this thread. I will ask you, though, to post some kind of background and link to introduce it.

Let's kick it off with what was an internet sensation a couple of years ago - The Charlie Chaplin time traveller.

A photographer going through behind the scenes footage from Chaplin's The Circus found some footage of a woman apparently talking on a mobile phone.

God knows how she got reception back in the past, when we barely get it in the present, but that's another thing.

Perhaps she really is a time-traveller, sent back through the decades to make a jaw-dropping cameo appearance.
Or maybe she was a maverick genius, secretly testing out advanced technology for the government and caught on camera at the wrong moment.
Whatever the explanation, this footage from a Charlie Chaplin promotional film in 1928 showing a woman apparently using a mobile phone has left viewers stumped.
Here's the clip:

Here's a short Youtube documentary.

Looks like a phone, looks like he/she is talking into the phone but even if it was a phone there's no service reception for that phone to work.

My guess is that the individual is just some looney elderly person talking to themselves whilst holding something close to the ear.

Looks like a phone, looks like he/she is talking into the phone but even if it was a phone there's no service reception for that phone to work.

My guess is that the individual is just some looney elderly person talking to themselves whilst holding something close to the ear.

Like most people with phones glued to their ears, basically. No one on the other end, just looking busy and important.

You think It's a phone?

Nah, I think it's a classic example of a culturally framed conclusion.

In that, the object she appears to be holding and how she's using it, appears from our cultural perspective to be a mobile phone.

Someone from the 20s might have seen it, and from their cultural perspective said, "that's a Grizzlym 1200 hearing aid"

Or someone from the 50s might have said, "wow, they had small transistor radios back then"

The conclusion is completely framed by our current cultural context.

Or, that's one possible reading of the situation. She might be a time traveller.

I've always thought that this one was much simpler than it was made out to be. To me it looks like somebody noticed a camera and grabbed something in attempt to hide their face from being filmed. Perhaps a glasses case or something similar. Definitely weird footage though.

Time travel.....Really interesting topic. I was searching photos and found this

sunglasses.jpg

I have a few problems with this,

1. Im not experienced on photo editing but something tells me that the best of the best could pull this off.
2. Wouldn't anyone around them wonder what the hell this bloke is doing.

You do a quick search on the net and there is threads on military sites working on such thing. Crazy stuff if true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time travel.....Really interesting topic. I was searching photos and found this

sunglasses.jpg

I have a few problems with this,

1. Im not experienced on photo editing but something tells me that the best of the best could pull this off.
2. Wouldn't anyone around them wonder what the hell this bloke is doing.

You do a quick search on the net and there is threads on military sites working on such thing. Crazy stuff if true

It's a cool pic that one.

I remember working as a pick packer and the old bloke had the AM radio on, they had caller questions about this and the whole immortal thing. Technically there is a way to become immortal but you just wouldn't be able to survive. The bloke at the radio was saying the closer to a black hole you get the slower time passes but you there is no way to survive such an environment. You could technically see the beginning and ending of time

The Charlie Chaplin one could be anything. The "phone" looks quite blocky and already outdated (my vision). This would suggest that we have already mastered time travel.

And would a time traveller walk around with such an advanced piece of technology so negligently?

Although I'm not physicist, I can't fathom how travelling to the past is possible. We could see into the past if were to travel (faster than the speed of light) far into space and had a powerful telescope, but staying on Earth and changing things that have already happened? Not to mention the danger associated with messing with time and resultant paradoxes.

I remember working as a pick packer and the old bloke had the AM radio on, they had caller questions about this and the whole immortal thing. Technically there is a way to become immortal but you just wouldn't be able to survive. The bloke at the radio was saying the closer to a black hole you get the slower time passes but you there is no way to survive such an environment. You could technically see the beginning and ending of time

I've heard this too that as you approach the speed of light, time slows around you. Even when your on an aeroplane, you'll be younger than had you not been on an aeroplane. This leads me to believe that travelling into the future is possible.

I've heard this too that as you approach the speed of light, time slows around you. Even when your on an aeroplane, you'll be younger than had you not been on an aeroplane. This leads me to believe that travelling into the future is possible.

I'm no expert either, but my understanding is that this isn't exactly "time travel" in the literal sense - it's moreso that you're just experiencing time and ageing more slowly than the world around you. In some regards, it's like you have a watch that is mechanically flawed - instead of ticking every second, it ticks every five seconds. If we started this watch at exactly midnight on new year's eve 2014, and checked again in 2024, it would suggest that only two years had passed. According to the watch it's only been running for two years, while in actuality it began ticking ten years earlier. In this example, you're the watch - you've only 'ticked' for two years, but everything around you progressed for ten. The problem here is that you're not travelling through time - you're simply extending your life. It's as if you're just watching time pass you by without being as affected by it as you should be. 'Cartoony' time travel - where you're being transported directly to a future time in your exact current form, and are able to select any destination of your choosing - is a far, far way off what you've described here.

That said, it's not completely unreasonable to suggest that this simple idea could one day be extended to make instantaneous, selective travelling to the future possible - it's hard to know what could happen. At this point it seems unlikely, but I imagine many of today's inventions would have seemed unrealistic in the past. This perspective then gets tricky though when you consider the consequences of such a belief. To believe that travelling into the future in this context is correct, you basically have to adopt a deterministic view of the world. For example, let's say you want to travel to 2050 to find out how the world is going. If you travel to that stage in time (point B) and see everything functioning as it would in 2050, then it poses the question of, "How is this place here when it doesn't exist in my time?" If you're travelling to it from where you are (point A), then obviously it already exists - but then every decision that has been made to get from A to B was destined to happen. Then you're stuck between believing in free will and believing in travelling to the future. Obviously the theory of many-worlds and infinite 'branches' and such pose a counter-argument which satisfies time travel's plausibility without necessitating determinism - but many-worlds also suggests a system that seems unbelievable and, to some people (me included), crazy. Of course there's nothing distinctly wrong with appealing to determinism, but it's a viewpoint which I and a lot of others consider pretty depressing.

I personally don't believe that the popularised version of time travel is, or ever will be, possible, but I do think that 'slowing your ageing' to live to the future may one day (in a very long time) be plausible. It certainly wouldn't be glamorous, however.

I'm no expert either, but my understanding is that this isn't exactly "time travel" in the literal sense - it's moreso that you're just experiencing time and ageing more slowly than the world around you. In some regards, it's like you have a watch that is mechanically flawed - instead of ticking every second, it ticks every five seconds. If we started this watch at exactly midnight on new year's eve 2014, and checked again in 2024, it would suggest that only two years had passed. According to the watch it's only been running for two years, while in actuality it began ticking ten years earlier. In this example, you're the watch - you've only 'ticked' for two years, but everything around you progressed for ten. The problem here is that you're not travelling through time - you're simply extending your life. It's as if you're just watching time pass you by without being as affected by it as you should be. 'Cartoony' time travel - where you're being transported directly to a future time in your exact current form, and are able to select any destination of your choosing - is a far, far way off what you've described here.

This would suggest that the time traveller could not "exist" and must spontaneously appear in the future. So I suppose we would have to undergo a delayed cloning process (once again my understanding here is limited). I still don't believe that this is impossible, however we are a very, very long way off.

This would suggest that the time traveller could not "exist" and must spontaneously appear in the future. So I suppose we would have to undergo a delayed cloning process (once again my understanding here is limited). I still don't believe that this is impossible, however we are a very, very long way off.

An interesting idea - in this case it could be as simple (I use the term lightly) as storing a DNA sample with the label, "Clone me with this in 2150." There would need to be a way for them to almost replicate your consciousness though, as, for it to be time travel 'as we know it', you would need to have a continuous experience of the world. But I can't argue that it would be impossible with any irrefutable proof.

I ask though, in this form of time travel, what exactly do we have to gain other than saying, "Hey, we ended up in the future (sort of)?" There's no way to communicate with the past and say, "Hey guys, Yellowstone will erupt in 2078, this is how to deal with it," there's no way to 'change' anything, there's no way to go back once you're there and, more importantly, it requires the existence of humans in the time you're headed to - otherwise you'd never end up coming 'back to life'. It wouldn't accomplish anything, really. In order for time travel to be even considered as a useful step in technological advancement, there would need to be some way to 'come back' or at least communicate with different time periods - something that just isn't possible with 'delayed cloning' as you put it.

An interesting idea - in this case it could be as simple (I use the term lightly) as storing a DNA sample with the label, "Clone me with this in 2150." There would need to be a way for them to almost replicate your consciousness though, as, for it to be time travel 'as we know it', you would need to have a continuous experience of the world. But I can't argue that it would be impossible with any irrefutable proof.

I ask though, in this form of time travel, what exactly do we have to gain other than saying, "Hey, we ended up in the future (sort of)?" There's no way to communicate with the past and say, "Hey guys, Yellowstone will erupt in 2078, this is how to deal with it," there's no way to 'change' anything, there's no way to go back once you're there and, more importantly, it requires the existence of humans in the time you're headed to - otherwise you'd never end up coming 'back to life'. It wouldn't accomplish anything, really. In order for time travel to be even considered as a useful step in technological advancement, there would need to be some way to 'come back' or at least communicate with different time periods - something that just isn't possible with 'delayed cloning' as you put it.

If any association with the past is impossible (which I believe it is), then I guess the only advantage is for personal enjoyment (eg. waiting for a momentous occasions one might not live to see), or it could also be used on a small scale (Arrive at event 1 hour early, time travel forward.) Given how this technology is a long way off, I agree with you that it seems rather useless without the possibility of going, or at least communicating, back.

In any case, I don't expect such technology to ever be released to the public.

The thing that i struggle to grasp is how could this be possible...
Does time exist in past, present & future, like on multiple tracks? if that makes sense.

The thing that i struggle to grasp is how could this be possible...
Does time exist in past, present & future, like on multiple tracks? if that makes sense.

I think I understand what you mean. If travelling to the future is what you seek, then technically a variety of different beliefs can explain it in one way or another - the most common being determinism and many-worlds (for those not familiar, it basically suggests that there are an infinite number of 'alternate universes', where every possibility for every decision ever made by anybody are accounted for; for example, in one universe, you wore a black shirt, in another a red shirt, so on and so forth). However if you're discussing travelling to the past, then your 'multiple tracks' idea is basically the only way that it would be possible. To travel to the past, the past would need to be occurring right now somewhere - so basically, there are an infinite number of 'dimensions' that run on infinitesimally small delays from each other. Simply put, there are an infinite number of universes that run at every time period from the 'beginning' of time, to the 'end' of time, and we're simply living on one of those 'tracks'. Therefore we could jump to the track that operates 20 years before ours, and relive that time. This explanation, though, doesn't allow for any "changing" of the past - you'd simply change what happens in that particular track.

On this basis, travelling to the future definitely seems more achievable than travelling to the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back