Summer Tokyo 2021 Basketball Thread - August 7 When We Got Bronze

Will Australia win a medal in the mens and womens tournament?

• Men yes women yes

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • Men yes women no

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • Men no women yes

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Men no women no

Votes: 11 13.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Very hard to do anything against that sort of domination

But heck me, how many times do Goorj coached teams have to fail dreadfully in that scenario before people realise what a dud he is.

Its not even complicated stuff, the rotation hasn't changed from the first practice match onwards. He still backs delly despite repeated horrendous games, he still won't give thybulle the minutes he obviously requires and deserves despite excellent performances every time he's on the court.

The part which just killed me was that first 5 minute stretch in the third quarter when any chance we had evaporated and the US did exactly what they did to Spain.

The starters were clearly gassed. The team was obviously rattled. We were getting run off the court and our best ******* defender was sitting on the bench whilst Durant pillaged us.

If only there was something a coach could do in that situation, some kind of stop in play to arrest momentum, give the starters a chance to sit down, catch their breath and reset against what was always going to be an opponent with a much deeper bench.

Something to create some 'time' 'out' of the game if you will.

Nope I can't think of it, and neither could goorj till we had gone from up by 3 to down by ******* 9.

Very hard to do anything against that sort of domination

But fu** me, how many times do Goorj coached teams have to fail dreadfully in that scenario before people realise what a dud he is.

Its not even complicated stuff, the rotation hasn't changed from the first practice match onwards. He still backs delly despite repeated horrendous games, he still won't give thybulle the minutes he obviously requires and deserves despite excellent performances every time he's on the court.

The part which just killed me was that first 5 minute stretch in the third quarter when any chance we had evaporated and the US did exactly what they did to Spain.

The starters were clearly gassed. The team was obviously rattled. We were getting run off the court and our best ******* defender was sitting on the bench whilst Durant pillaged us.

If only there was something a coach could do in that situation, some kind of stop in play to arrest momentum, give the starters a chance to sit down, catch their breath and reset against what was always going to be an opponent with a much deeper bench.

Something to create some 'time' 'out' of the game if you will.

Nope I can't think of it, and neither could goorj till we had gone from up by 3 to down by ******* 9.

Totally agree. Delly was way to predictable, there was no movement, we couldn’t stop Durant at the other end yet no changes were made until we were almost 10 down. Then when the bench came back on we showed some spark. Bad coaching imo.

Perplexed. 15 points up 4 minutes to go in the second. Keep the momentum, get shots in and go into the half with at least a 10 point lead. What happens after is inexcusable.
Yet again Australia have an inept coach capable of international basketball. Lemanis in the World Cup and now Goorj. No Thybulle ? Wtf is this? Delly is massively MASSIVELY overrated. Can’t shoot, can’t dribble and now his only asset is he can’t defend .
Why not play Deng as big body C? Yet against dreadful coaching.

Serbia - maybe on the back of the upset, but think their FIBA rank was higher.

Spain - categorically not, think they were ranked 2 in the world at that stage, might have even been 1.
FIBA rankings are meaningless. France is currently ranked 7th in the world. Slovenia is 16th. Argentina is still 4th.
Also, I think you're forgetting how highly people were rating Australia after their starts in 2016 and 2019. Lots of people were saying we were the biggest threats to the US in 2016, and many people were picking us for gold in 2019.

Might want to grab bronze here, with Mills, Ingles, Baynes and Delly getting on and Simmons probably never coming in like we’d hoped.

If Canada get their full team playing, Serbia with Jokic, Luka continuing to dominate, our window might be closing.

As frustrating as it is, we’re one or two high quality players off. And that’s Simmons and Giddey to come. But will they ever play? Who knows

Giddey a likely, reckon we'll see him play 3 Olympics at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. We are a long way off. USA have all stars in almost all positions. We have none in any.

Mills dominates against other countries but against a US top tier PG, he gets destroyed. Mills will be gone by the next 1-2 olympics and Giddey will be too young.

Whos this Simmons guy? Never heard of him.

I believe this team can win Bronze. No shame in that.

As frustrating as it is, we’re one or two high quality players off. And that’s Simmons and Giddey to come. But will they ever play? Who knows
Giddey yes, Simmons no.

We need a coach that can actually coach and isn't just mins to his personal favs. Lineups were horrendous, we got away with it in the 1st half but got what we deserved in the 2nd half. This falls squarely on Goorj. Hope Bogut starts exposing him for being a s**t coach.

FIBA rankings are meaningless. France is currently ranked 7th in the world. Slovenia is 16th. Argentina is still 4th.
Also, I think you're forgetting how highly people were rating Australia after their starts in 2016 and 2019. Lots of people were saying we were the biggest threats to the US in 2016, and many people were picking us for gold in 2019.

lol

Silly people, maybe

We saw it all tournament that Goorj just has his set rotations and doesnt change anything or make any adjustments.

Its probably because the coaching group didnt want to risk making any changes even though it was dumb not to.

It was clear to all fans here who deserved more minutes and who didnt due to tournament form.

We wouldnt have beaten USA but it wouldnt have been over at half time.

Not sure he’s really been awake for much of it regardless of us getting the results. Post game v Argentina he tried to say everything is running itself and he’s not doing anything. That philosophy sure served us well today

View attachment 1196715

48-14 run the yanks went on.

Not the coach fault

Back