Summer Tokyo 2021 - Track & Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Starc clears 2.28 - will surely final and looks in good form.
They need 2 athletics channel on 7+ one for the track and another for the field to keep up.

I see there's a young American bloke (Harrison) doing the high jump & long jump double. Pretty rare to compete in those two events at the same Olympics. Came first in the US trials in both as well.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see there's a young American bloke (Harrison) doing the high jump & long jump double. Pretty rare to compete in those two events at the same Olympics. Came first in the US trials in both as well.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I watched him in the US trials at Eugene and read somewhere its been about 100 years since someone has done both at the Olympics

Matthew Denny is thru to the final of the discuss with the 4th longest throw. Only Stahl of Sweden thru an autoqualifer of 66.00 with his first throw. That's a big effort. 9th is best result at an Olympics for an Aussie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed the first heat of the 100m heat for women, saw the 2nd on the live feed, the US caller is hopeless, Jane Flemming is doing special comments, but saw it also on delay on 7 and defending champ Elaine Thompson-Herah ran a supper relaxed 10.82 - very Bolt like in running within herself and cruising to the line. stamps her authority straight away.

Good start by the field part of the team to get 2 into the finals. The field is where our best chancesare to win medals but also make the top 8 placings and World Athletics has a points table 8 for 1st down to 1 for 8th to try and work out the overall strength of competing nations.

I missed it but Ivory Coast runner Mariee-Louise Ta Lou ran a 10.78 in the heat a PB and an African record. She is ranked 3rd in the world.

There have been a couple of other national records run. So bloody fast for a heats stage.

Run next to someone fast and you might do a PB and break a national record - in a bloody heat.

Heat 2

RankLaneBib NumberNameReaction TimeResult
172521 THOMPSON-HERAH Elaine0.15810.82Q
253506 KAMBUNDJI Mujinga0.11110.95=NRQ

Heat 3
141522TA LOU Marie-Josee0.16110.78=ARQ
272016NEITA Daryll0.10710.96PBQ

Heat 5
142480FRASER-PRYCE Shelly-Ann0.12810.84Q
253499del PONTE Ajla0.13110.91NRQ
363048NWOKOCHA Nzubechi Grace0.16111.00PBQ
471993BASS Gina0.13411.12NR

I missed it but Ivory Coast runner Mariee-Louise Ta Lou ran a 10.78 in the heat a PB and an African record. She is ranked 3rd in the world.

There have been a couple of other national records run. So bloody fast for a heats stage.

She was impressive as hell. Looking around from about 70, cruised to the line

That's great stuff.

Are they both realistic medal chances? Imagine the scenes if we somehow grabbed a gold - was the last track and field gold medallist Steve Hooker?
I think yes for the men. Sally Pearson of course in London for the women. Sally won again at the world championships in 2017 and so did Kelsey Lee-Barber in the javelin in 2019, but none since then in the Olympics.

I think yes for the men. Sally Pearson of course in London for the women. We've had few world champions since but no more gold medal winners.

Yep I meant for the men.

Jared Tallent got a retrospective gold. But yes this is in modern times an area we're relatively poor in.

That's great stuff.

Are they both realistic medal chances? Imagine the scenes if we somehow grabbed a gold - was the last track and field gold medallist Steve Hooker?
The high jump can be a bloody flukey event. 2.33 was the qualifier for the Olympics but only half the field achieved it and the rest got in based on season rankings to get to 33 entrants. Starc jumped a 2.33 this year, I think twice.

If Starc jumps 2.33 he could medal. If he jumps his PB of 2.36 or breaks it with a 2.37+ he could win it. 2.37 is the best time this year. Its very rare that a gold medalist jumps his PB at an Olympics but minor medalists do. The last 3 games starting in Beijing, the winning heights have been 2.36, 2.38*, 2.38. Bronze medalist has jumped 2.34,2.29, 2.33. He is in good form and looked really good today.

* winner was stripped of gold in 2019 after a restesting of his sample under the 10 year retesting rule.

Denny has a PB of 66.15m - if he throws that he probably finishes 8th, if he throws 67.xx maybe gets as high as 5th. The top 2 have all thrown 70m+ this year and the next 2 have thrown 69m.

Yep I meant for the men.

Jared Tallent got a retrospective gold. But yes this is in modern times an area we're relatively poor in.
I wouldn't say we're poor. I think it's probably the most competitive sport worldwide (with the possible exception of soccer) and we don't have a particular natural advantage so are relatively average overal relative to our population. We still make finals and usually win a few minor medals at world champs. Add to this that many of our best athletes pursue other sports like AFL because it's so much easier to make it professionally. Andy Mcgrath and Max Holmes for example were top class junior hurdlers but ended up pursuing AFL instead.

I wouldn't say we're poor. I think it's probably the most competitive sport worldwide (with the possible exception of soccer) and we don't have a particular natural advantage so are relatively average overal relative to our population. We still make finals and usually win a few minor medals at world champs. Add to this that many of our best athletes pursue other sports like AFL because it's so much easier to make it professionally. Andy Mcgrath and Max Holmes for example were top class junior hurdlers but ended up pursuing AFL instead.
That's why World Athletics / formerly IAAF, still used to the old names uses placings tables to try and work out the true depth of different nations across so many events. ie 1st gets 8pts, 2nd 7 down to 8th gets 1 pt. Athletics Australia aims to get to top 10 based on the placings table,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back