Summer Tokyo 2021 - Track & Field

Watched a bit of the heptathlon on 7+ inbetween Moloney, Kookaburras and other stuff. Thiam is just too good for the others.

Saw this last night and had to remind myself we have qualified others like we haven't for a long time.

Javelin final - 3 women
High Jump - 2 women
1500m final - 2 women
1500m final - 2 men

Last edited:

I can think of a lot better things to do than spend 3 hours and 50 minutes to walk 50km.

Tomala wins Poland's 4th gold at Tokyo - USA sitting on 5.

Rhydian Cowley has to wait for a photo finish for 7th and 8th with Chinese walker. Might have been a bit of ilegal walking those last few steps by the 2 of them to get the higher place. * a photo finish after 3 hours 50 odd minutes.

Rhydian Cowley lost out in the photo finish, got 8th but did it in a PB. Another point for Oz on the placings table.

Moloney, the 2018 world under 20 decathlon champion, was full of praise for Dubler following his efforts in the 1,500m.

"He [Dubler] was screaming, I can't repeat what he said," Moloney told Channel Seven.

"I could hear his voice bouncing in my cranium like a bat out of hell."

Dubler, who finished in 21st place on 7,008 points, said he was desperate for Moloney to win the bronze.

"I was stressed as," he said.

"I had to obviously run my own race and try and bring him through but also keep an eye on where Pierce [LePage] and Scantling were, and make sure they didn't get too far ahead.

"He had me worried for a little bit then I just started screaming at him and we got him there."

There’s only two people who are likely to make it fast a Cheryiout and Stewy. If they don’t, it’s Ingebritsens on a platter.

But they don’t need gun to tape fast race. A 800-900m wind up could still work for Stew.

If it’s a true championship style race - look out for Hoare. There’s a reason him and Jess Hull are looking amazing - NCAA race practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Ingebritsen wants it slow. He usually winds up over a long period. Not that rapid over the last 400 in a slow race compared to some of those guys like Kerr or Hoare.

Last edited:
I mentioned last night Warner breaking the 9000 pt barrier was a big thing and like breaking 10 sec for 100m or a 4 minute mile, but I didn't realise it was only the 5th time its been done and 1st time at an Olympics. i thought it had been done about 10 times. Warner just missed out breaking it in the World Athletics Challenge – Combined Events meeting in Götzis, Austria, on 29-30 May.

1 9126 Kevin Mayer FRA 10.02.92 1 Talence 16.09.2018
2 9045 Ashton Eaton USA 21.01.88 1 Beijing 29.08.2015
3 9039 Ashton Eaton USA 21.01.88 1 Eugene 23.06.2012
4 9026 Roman Sebrle CZE 26.11.74 1 Götzis 27.05.2001
5 9018 Damian Warner CAN 04.11.89 1 Tokyo 05.08.2021
6 8995 Damian Warner CAN 04.11.89 1 Götzis 30.05.2021
7 8994 Tomás Dvorák CZE 11.05.72 1 Praha 04.07.1999
8 8902 Tomás Dvorák CZE 11.05.72 1 Edmonton 07.08.2001
9 8900 Tomás Dvorák CZE 11.05.72 1 Götzis 04.06.2000
10 8893 Roman Sebrle CZE 26.11.74 1 Athínai 24.08.2004
10 8893 Ashton Eaton USA 21.01.88 1 Rio de Janeiro 18.08.2016
(Eaton's previous Olympic record)

I can think of a lot better things to do than spend 3 hours and 50 minutes to walk 50km.

Tomala wins Poland's 4th gold at Tokyo - USA sitting on 5.

Rhydian Cowley has to wait for a photo finish for 7th and 8th with Chinese walker. Might have been a bit of ilegal walking those last few steps by the 2 of them to get the higher place. fu** a photo finish after 3 hours 50 odd minutes.

Last time the 50km will be in the Games.

The women don't do it so the men aren't allowed to any more.

And it probably doesn't get many viewers on tele any more. Still it was another good opportunity for the folk who can't afford a ticket to stand by the side of road and watch an Olympic event.

How are they all breaking the rules?
You are not supposed to have 2 feet off the ground. To the naked eye its almost impossible to pick up unless its very blatant, but when they do slow mo replays you see it happens a hell of a lot. judges on the course giving out warnings, can't use video, they have to go with what they see.

You are not supposed to have 2 feet off the ground. To the naked eye its almost impossible to pick up unless its very blatant, but when they do slow mo replays you see it happens a hell of a lot. judges on the course giving out warnings, can't use video, they have to go with what they see.

There is a natural 4% 'flight' phase during the racewalkers gait. So whilst both feet are off the ground for short periods this can't be observed to the judges' naked eye, as you say. It doesn't mean the athletes are cheating.

They should ditch the walking completely. It's a farcical sport when every competitor is breaking the rules for the entire race. Replace it with cross country running.

It's a stupid sport. They just hand out cards when they feel like it. Like parking inspectors need a quota.

There is a natural 4% 'flight' phase during the racewalkers gait. So whilst both feet are off the ground for short periods this can't be observed to the judges' naked eye, as you say. It doesn't mean the athletes are cheating.
They may not be cheating deliberately, but they are breaking the rules. And now, with technology, we can easily identify that they are breaking the rules (with pressure sensors in shoes, we can even identify it in real time).

So - decision time. Do we introduce more accurate judging in elite level events, knowing that this can't be implemented in lower level competitions, due to cost factors? Which means Junior athletes may spend several years developing 'illegal' techniques. Once they get to Seniors, they can learn the 'correct technique.

Or do we just throw up our hands and say 'all judging is done by eye'? Which is what they did.

A part of race preparation is knowing where the judges stand, and knowing which judges are harder on lifting. You can choose where and when to run. (At Little Aths, all wallks are done around the track, and there are usually 2-3 judges - so little kids are trained to 'run between the judges'.)

I'm not a fan.

They may not be cheating deliberately, but they are breaking the rules. And now, with technology, we can easily identify that they are breaking the rules (with pressure sensors in shoes, we can even identify it in real time).

So - decision time. Do we introduce more accurate judging in elite level events, knowing that this can't be implemented in lower level competitions, due to cost factors? Which means Junior athletes may spend several years developing 'illegal' techniques. Once they get to Seniors, they can learn the 'correct technique.

Or do we just throw up our hands and say 'all judging is done by eye'? Which is what they did.

A part of race preparation is knowing where the judges stand, and knowing which judges are harder on lifting. You can choose where and when to run. (At Little Aths, all wallks are done around the track, and there are usually 2-3 judges - so little kids are trained to 'run between the judges'.)

I'm not a fan.

The key rules of the sport are that:
- Competitors must keep at least one foot in contact with the ground at all times.
- Walkers must also keep their their advanced leg straight as their trailing leg moves past it.

As stated previously there is a natural 4% flight time in the racewalking gait in which both feet are off the ground. If a walker is breaking the two aforementioned rules this flight time is increased and that can be observed to the judges' naked eye. However if a walker's gait is consistent with the theory than they aren't breaking the rules.

Back