Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rockliff: We are united

Brisbane Lions captain Tom Rockliff has become the latest senior player to voice his support for Senior Coach Justin Leppitsch.

Vice-Captains Dayne Zorko, Daniel Rich and Dayne Beams have all spoken at length in media interviews in recent days refuting media suggestions of a “revolt” led by senior players.

Rockliff joined that chorus this morning on Melbourne radio RSN during his regular spot with the station (see audio below).

“I think he’s handled himself really well, we chat regularly … he’s been really good, really open with the players, really open with me and we continue to support each other and we know the course that we are taking,” said Rockliff.

“It’s good to know that the coach has got your back – there has been some negative press around the footy club and Leppa sent a very strong message that we are united and pushing as one.”

Rockliff said the players and coaching group had drawn together even tighter during the tough period on and off the field.

“I think we’ve got a really good footy club that operates well but unfortunately at the moment we’ve lost 12 games on the trot and everyone is looking for answers,” he said.

“Externally they are trying to drive a wedge into our playing group and coaching staff - it’s hard at times but that’s the industry we live in.

“We’ve got more pressing issues than what’s written in the paper, we’ve lost 12 games on the trot – as a captain you want to lead as best as you can and my focus is on winning games of footy for this football club.

When questioned on who had impressed him most, Rockliff singled out Zorko as “a standout”.

“He’s been a vice captain now for a couple of seasons and his form has also suggested he’s been our best player. He’s really grown up and he’s now one of the best leaders we’ve got,” said Rockliff.

The skipper said his team was locked on playing it’s best game of the year against Essendon at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

“Both clubs will want to win the game and we’re doing everything we can to go down there and walk away with the four points,” he said.

“Everything we do this week is making sure we go down to Etihad and put on a really good performance for our supporters and members who’ve had a really tough few years.”

Tom Rockliff not divisive, no stress over contract delay says Brisbane Lions CEO

BRISBANE CEO Greg Swann insists Lions captain Tom Rockliff is not a divisive figure at the Gabba and there is no “stress’’ about his stalled contract negotiations.

Rockliff’s leadership style and future at the club has come under the microscope ahead of the besieged Lions facing Essendon in Melbourne on Sunday in a showdown to avoid the wooden spoon.

Rockliff’s contract talks were put on hold recently with the 2014 All-Australian understood to be asking for $800,000 a year after his present deal expires at the end of 2017.

Swann is confident a deal will get done.

“Probably later this year we might have a talk about it but he’s contracted for next year so there’s no real stress from anybody to be honest,” Swann told Triple M.

“Always in negotiations everybody wants more money but I don’t think that’s the driver.

“We had some conversations earlier in the piece but then when he got injured he said, ‘look let’s not talk about what’s going to happen in the future, let me just start playing footy’.

“He’s a captain that’s trying to demand high standards and he pushes the other players to improve and all that sort of stuff but there’s no feuds between anybody.’’

I am hopeful with Mathieson performing well in the midfield, the return of Dayne Beams, Tom Bell and Bundy and perhaps the addition of a top 3 midfielder in this years draft and 1 or 2 midfielders via trades that Rocky can spend more time up forward next year because he is hard to beat 1 on 1 and generally converts his opportunities.

Rocky has copped some unfair criticism this year I've felt. Take out those injury affected games and he averages 32.7 disposals, 0.9 goals, 8 tackles, 13 contested possessions and 6.5 clearances and in the last month alone averaging 34 disposals, 1.2 goals, 8 tackles, 12.5 contested possessions, 6 clearances and a goal assist per game.

He's had some games where his overall impact has been non existent but some games where he has been arguably our most influential. His ability to think quickly and execute well under pressure is highly valuable. It's good to see him hitting the scoreboard more too.

Rocky has copped some unfair criticism this year I've felt. Take out those injury affected games and he averages 32.7 disposals, 0.9 goals, 8 tackles, 13 contested possessions and 6.5 clearances and in the last month alone averaging 34 disposals, 1.2 goals, 8 tackles, 12.5 contested possessions, 6 clearances and a goal assist per game.

He's had some games where his overall impact has been non existent but some games where he has been arguably our most influential. His ability to think quickly and execute well under pressure is highly valuable. It's good to see him hitting the scoreboard more too.
FWIW, my concerns with Rockliff on field can't be measured by stats.

Firstly, I think Rocky is at his least effective when he's picking up cheap stats.

Secondly, his defensive running has, at times, been pretty poor.

Those things might not be totally his fault but they are reasons why I've been a little reticent to praise him. I think he's had a couple of good games recently but there has still been elements of poor defensive coverage and ineffective stats gathering.

FWIW, my concerns with Rockliff on field can't be measured by stats.

Firstly, I think Rocky is at his least effective when he's picking up cheap stats.

Secondly, his defensive running has, at times, been pretty poor.

Those things might not be totally his fault but they are reasons why I've been a little reticent to praise him. I think he's had a couple of good games recently but there has still been elements of poor defensive coverage and ineffective stats gathering.

Stats certainly don't count for everything and he has been picking up some cheap stats but find me an elite player that doesn't. Ablett, the best player in the league when fully fit is notorious for it. But you could argue he is a more damaging player too.

Personally, I've felt we've played him too outside at times this year and tried to share the load when it's well known he does his best when getting big inside minutes.

I haven't noticed his defensive running being poor too much personally. Rockliff's certainly not having a career best year, but I don't think his 2016 is as bad as some of the posts I've read around here are suggesting. We have 18+ players most weeks playing worse football than he is.

The buzz word is "Meters gained". Blah blah blah. The stat I want to see is how many meters Rockliffs disposals net when he gets the ball to someone else from the inside. If he gets a 20m handball to Rich, 9 times out of 10 its going 50m int he right way. But he only gets 20 meters credit for it.

The buzz word is "Meters gained". Blah blah blah. The stat I want to see is how many meters Rockliffs disposals net when he gets the ball to someone else from the inside. If he gets a 20m handball to Rich, 9 times out of 10 its going 50m int he right way. But he only gets 20 meters credit for it.

Worth far more than a like. Rocky is the best in the game at handballing to advantage - the way he puts the ball that makes the recipient move and and find space. A vastly underappreciated and unfairly maligned player IMO.

Tom Rockliff’s time as Brisbane Lions captain could be up, future under cloud

TOM Rockliff is likely to have led the Brisbane Lions for the last time and his playing future at the club is also under a cloud.

Rockliff’s leadership is under review while the final decision on whether he is a required player next year will be postponed until a new football boss and coach is appointed.

His captaincy days appear over, with Dayne Beams and Dayne Zorko the leading contenders to assume the leadership.

One player manager with clients at the club said even if Rockliff was not stripped of the captaincy, he would no longer win a leadership vote.

The Courier-Mail has been told some players were not impressed that Rockliff and fellow senior player Pearce Hanley were out drinking on Monday afternoon, hours after the announcement of the sacking of coach Justin Leppitsch.

The club’s official end of season celebrations are today and although there was no edict not to go out on Monday, the disgruntled players thought the decision by the club’s leaders to go out drinking on the day the coach was sacked lacked sensitivity.

Rockliff upset Zorko last year with his abrasive leadership style but the pair have made up.

He was also involved in a physical altercation with teammate Ryan Harwood at a team social outing this season. That was the same day where he had an angry text message exchange with welfare boss Craig Lambert.

Although the matter was dealt with and there was no black mark recorded alongside either players’ names by the administration, it further weakened Rockliff’s credentials as a captain in the eyes of some teammates.

It is understood the Lions’ board were underwhelmed by Rockliff when he presented on Leppitsch last week.

Brisbane are trying to stay out of the news, given the week they have had, and officials would not comment on Rockliff’s leadership when contacted by The Courier-Mail.

But in Monday’s press conference to announce the axing of coach Justin Leppitsch, Lions CEO Greg Swann said he did not know who would be captain next year.

“It’s a bit too early to say, we’ll wait and see how that goes,’’ he said.

“Everything’s open for discussion.’’

Rockliff no longer has the full support of a playing group that has grown weary of his leadership style.

Lions great Jonathan Brown referred to divisions on Fox Footy’s On the Couch on Monday night, where he labelled the club “dysfunctional”.

Rockliff’s future at the Lions has been the source of much speculation this year. He met with his manager in Melbourne last week but yesterday declared he was going nowhere.

“I’m contracted next year and I’ll be here,” Rockliff said on Melbourne radio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on ....
The Courier-Mail has been told some players were not impressed that Rockliff and fellow senior player Pearce Hanley were out drinking on Monday afternoon, hours after the announcement of the sacking of coach Justin Leppitsch.
I'm disappointed that the players aren't all out on the piss together for Mad Monday to be honest.

I actually saw Rocky and Michael Close out and about Monday night and heavily on the gear, no mention of close either in any of this garbage

The younger boys were putting pictures up from nights out earlier this week. I think including that Hanley and Rock were out having a beer in the article is a bit precious!!

I actually saw Rocky and Michael Close out and about Monday night and heavily on the gear, no mention of close either in any of this garbage
Close is one of the dumbest human beings to grace this earth. Seriously don't think he'd be the cause of any discontent. He's simply too stupid to know what's going on to be honest. Would be more surprised if they weren't on the gear it's end of season let them have their fun.

Close is one of the dumbest human beings to grace this earth. Seriously don't think he'd be the cause of any discontent. He's simply too stupid to know what's going on to be honest. Would be more surprised if they weren't on the gear it's end of season let them have their fun.
not saying they cant have their fun all for it really, mad monday but probably bit tasteful with leppas sacking and all and just nothing mentioned about him, just laying into rockliff and hanley

seen close out a couple of times actually along with nick robbo, close is very quiet and as you said literally has nothing to say or offer, nick robbo definetly one of the most unpleasant footy players around

not saying they cant have their fun all for it really, mad monday but probably bit tasteful with leppas sacking and all and just nothing mentioned about him, just laying into rockliff and hanley

seen close out a couple of times actually along with nick robbo, close is very quiet and as you said literally has nothing to say or offer, nick robbo definetly one of the most unpleasant footy players around
Haven't heard amazing things about him either to be frank.

Manager says Tom Rockliff will stay with Brisbane Lions

Brisbane Lions skipper Tom Rockliff will almost certainly be at the Lions next year, according to his manager.

Speculation has been rife that the club would look to trade Rockliff after their disastrous season that cost coach Justin Leppitsch his job earlier this week.

But Stride Sports Management's Tom Petroro told SEN on Saturday that he is 99 per cent certain that the 26-year-old will be at the embattled club next year.

"Tom's preparing to be at the Brisbane Lions ... he's working on his program that he's been given by them," Petroro said.

"We're not going to talk to any other clubs.

"The key people that I deal with (at the club) have all got good relationships with him and are all really comfortable in wanting him to be there."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back