Too many January fluff pieces!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well said. Pre-season material, particularly from a club-owned site, is marketing.

I've never played the game but think it's the best code of football going around. I wouldn't know how a football club operates nor the mechanics of a professional AFL player. What I do know is the significance of keeping the supporter base happy. Sure, wins are crucial but so is the sense that some progress is happening. During the pre-season, anything is possible, despite what your head may tell you. Think of the Kangaroos last year.

So, let's let the marketers do their thing and dream a little. You never know. We could be the bolter for the coming season. It's nice to dream a little.

Okay, they're a bottom 5 team. Does it make that big a difference? Remove Hird and where does that leave them?

The fact is Essendon are in trouble. They won a lot of close games last year by under a few goals. While it's fantastic they won some of the close ones they lost in 2006 it's still not good that their percentage was so poor as they could not 'finish' teams off.

2005 - 13th - bottom 4
2006 - 15th - bottom 2
2007 - 12th - bottom 5

So you agree that right now Essendon are not a bottom 4 side.

You can predict/guess that Essendon will be bottom for in 2008 but that is all it is. If they do finish there then it will become fact.

Right now, the fact is that they are not bottom 4. It is also a fact that we were closer to playing in finals than finishing bottom in 2007.

While the above article is very positive and speaks volumes for the efforts the players are puting in I'd like to think I'm not alone in cringing as I read it?

The fact is, right now Essendon are a bottom 4 team. Simple as that. They need to do a LOT to get back in the top 4. Are they doing it? I don't want our players reading the above and hearing of how wonderful they are. I'm not entirely convinced that will make them work harder but indeed the opposite. It will tell them they're moving at a pace above Knights expectations and things are preety good.

Now, feel free to correct me... but I'm not convinced Knights knows what it takes just yet at this level. It's the AFL. The Premier level of Aussie Rules in the country. We don't need to be just training well, we need to be winning. The players should be absolutely flogged to the outhouse to bring their performance up to what is expected of an Essendon Football Club player.

Now, in fairless I don't know that that's not happening behind closed doors but articles like this just don't do much for me. I find it akin to something I'd expect to read of St Kilda or Richmond where there's no expectation to win.

It's probably just a 'member drive' but I sure hope Knights isn't telling the players the same story above. If he is and we get smashed in the early parts of the year or even against Brisbane in our opening pre-season then there will be more than enough egg to go around.

The articles are always generalising about improvement the type of information we need in these articles is individual improvements e.g. benchpress preseason 07 compaired to 08 preseason, time trials and so forth

The previous article on essendonfc.com.au I thought may not have been informative, but it still was worth reading. The latest piece about the new recruits taking cooking lessons... now that is fluff.

preseason_sprints3.jpg

Check out the size of Matthew Lloyd's guns. They are huge.

They're always that big aren't they? Anyones guns will look huge when they're standing next to Lucas, Stanton and Fletch :D

Seriously though, I know how you feel Ari and I've thought the same things at times but I usually don't voice it unless I'm on the bog, in the shower or the car.

You've gotta keep the faith though mate. I'm happy to see anything about our club but if the words annoy you that much, just do what I do and look at the pictures - which can be more informative anyway sometimes.

I'm quietly optimistic that this year will be a better one for us and will see us moving in the right direction at the very least. I'm also excited at the prospect of seeing our younger lads get a good run and I think we're going to surprise a few teams who may think we'll be bunnies. I refuse to concede we are a bottom 4 or 5 team this year until I at least see us play a bit. Too many things have changed for anyone to know that.

As far as I'm concerned we have every chance of scraping into the 8 or just missing out this year. People may say that's being foolishly optimistic but I couldn't care less. I love this club and I love being the underdog.

Bring.
It.
On.
:thumbsu:

The previous article on essendonfc.com.au I thought may not have been informative, but it still was worth reading. The latest piece about the new recruits taking cooking lessons... now that is fluff.

Oi !!

While many footy players may struggle to cook more than spaghetti bolognese, the Essendon boys can now throw together a decent pea and ham risotto; high fibre, low fat burgers; chicken stir-fry noodles and even banana/pecan muffins.

Darcy Daniher was proud of his new found cooking ability but said it was unlikely to ever match his mums while Cale Hooker was talking up his onion dicing skills.

Can you cook a pea and ham risotto? What about dicing onions?

Let them be proud of something!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back