Tool - FEAR INOCULUM

Just discovered this thread, reading through the initial opinions is pretty funny.

I think as all tool fans know, it takes several intense listens and time to percolate.

I remember glossing over fear inoculum several times and then something clicked. Now I hold it equal to all the others (I love them all equally)

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Album is ******* sick! Yeah, took a while, as they all do. I flew down to Melbourne for the Sunday gig (Awesome!!!) and it just clicked after listening to it through the headphones on the flight home.

I think hearing a few of the songs live is what did it. So glad I took the plunge to fly down for that. Been locked up ever since.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
From what I've heard of FI, nothing has hooked me in like Vicarious or even The Pot

Kinda meanders along with no real payoff

Pretty disgusting output for 20 years of songwriting for guys of the calibre of Tool

I've only listened to it a couple of times about 6 months ago. Will have to give it another go, everything from Opiate-Lateralus is brilliant although Lateralus a step down in genius from Ænima for me.

When I listened it just felt more like a band trying to imitate Tool rather than Tool themselves if that makes sense? Like all the elements were there, they struck all the right notes but it didn't feel like it had the "soul" behind it for lack of a better word

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Yep, easily better than 10,000 Days I reckon. A long way from "disgusting output" - like all Tool albums it takes some time to settle.

10000 days is hit and miss for me. I love Vicarious and Jambi, The Pot and Rosetta Stoned are pretty good (though Rosetta Stoned probably goes for a minute or so too long), 10k days pt 1 and 2 are ok but it's way below Ænima, Lateralus and even Undertow for me.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
I've only listened to it a couple of times about 6 months ago. Will have to give it another go, everything from Opiate-Lateralus is brilliant although Lateralus a step down in genius from Ænima for me.

When I listened it just felt more like a band trying to imitate Tool rather than Tool themselves if that makes sense? Like all the elements were there, they struck all the right notes but it didn't feel like it had the "soul" behind it for lack of a better word

You need to listen to it more. Pneuma is one of the best Tool songs ever. Big statement, but I stand by it. The whole album takes a few listens to appreciate I reckon.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats

Exactly. Paint by numbers Tool. Maybe someone who loves the album can point out the high points

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
Exactly. Paint by numbers Tool. Maybe someone who loves the album can point out the high points

The start, the middle...unfortunately it ends, so that kinda sucks. A seriously good album.

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think there's much point trying to convince people that don't like it, that the album is pretty good. Really, you either feel it or not, and it's ok if you don't (in my opinion anyway)

For me, I wasn't expecting anything other than vanilla Tool. That's what we got, and that's fine with me. Tool have always had a strong blueprint behind their music. To my ears while it sounds very much like a Tool album, there is some good variation on the theme, but you need to be willing to put the time into listening for it. That's time I'm happy to spend, but many listeners don't seem to have the patience these days.

Cyzzametimbres

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you Like Tool you’ll like this album. First 4 songs are pretty good with track 2 being great (definitely one of the best songs they’ve ever written). Culling voices/chocolate chip trip aren’t something I want to hear after a few listens through the album and finishes with tempest which is another great song. One complaint for me is that after skipping those 2 songs there’s only 5 songs I listen to on the album and I think there’s better songs than invincible and descending on aenima/lateralus/10k days. Plenty on there to like if you’re a tool fan with songs lasting over 10 mins.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I don't think there's much point trying to convince people that don't like it, that the album is pretty good. Really, you either feel it or not, and it's ok if you don't (in my opinion anyway)

For me, I wasn't expecting anything other than vanilla Tool. That's what we got, and that's fine with me. Tool have always had a strong blueprint behind their music. To my ears while it sounds very much like a Tool album, there is some good variation on the theme, but you need to be willing to put the time into listening for it. That's time I'm happy to spend, but many listeners don't seem to have the patience these days.

Do they need 10,000 days 😂

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Just bumping this. Hasn’t lost anything over the last year. Still love it!
Heres hoping covid has given them a reason to knuckle down and give us one more album.
Two albums in two years!!! Blasphemy :p

In a weird way this album has me appreciating 10000 days a lot more too.
The two are excellent together as listening pairs

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Yep, pretty much my view on FI. It's probably half an hour too long and seriously boring in parts.

I was listening to 10,000 Days recently and I reckon that gets underrated in a big way. Doesn't have the consistency of Aenima or Lateralus, but it's high points are arguably as good.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Two albums in two years!!! Blasphemy :p

In a weird way this album has me appreciating 10000 days a lot more too.
The two are excellent together as listening pairs
I think they stated last year year that they will aim to have a new album ready about 3 years after they finish touring the last one. Who knows if covid has changed those plans.

The mailman made me a happy man today!

21FE7D40-E106-4B4E-B0BC-42405800F1A0.jpeg

I wish they would re-release their whole catalog on vinyl. The newer stuff is very hard to find and Aenema is impossible, unless you have a lazy 3 grand to spend!

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
Back