Top Tasmanian Draft Prospects for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

The TSL has had Webberley, Burbury, Howe and Hall drafted from it and it's only been going three years. The positive is the TSL is still being watched by the AFL clubs.

However, the programs in Tassie aren't ideal. The Mariners involvement in the TAC Cup needs to be expanded so the elite kids are exposed to an elite program for more than 6 or 7 games a year. Six TAC Cup games and Five U18 Championship games would be perfect. Club level coaching and the roles the kids are used in at club level are ordinary.

The TSL has had Webberley, Burbury, Howe and Hall drafted from it and it's only been going three years. The positive is the TSL is still being watched by the AFL clubs.

However, the programs in Tassie aren't ideal. The Mariners involvement in the TAC Cup needs to be expanded so the elite kids are exposed to an elite program for more than 6 or 7 games a year. Six TAC Cup games and Five U18 Championship games would be perfect. Club level coaching and the roles the kids are used in at club level are ordinary.
I totally agree!! The Mariners just don't get to play as a team as much as they should before the Championships. To play in the TAC cup program for more games would be what they need.

Well done to Jackson Thurlow with 45 disposals today against Vic Metro.

Eat your heart out Gazza :cool: :

Killinit.jpg

Heard a few of the boys copped some big hits against Vic metro, with 1 with possible facial fractures and another with a servere back or neck injury.

Unfortunately the results in the Mariner's games to date make it even harder for Tassie boys to be in the mix for this years draft.

Thurlow and Jeffery appear to be playing well to date, however after that it appears to be a bit thin.

I would be interested on any thoughts on who might have been playing well and would attract attention.

I would be interested on any thoughts on who might have been playing well and would attract attention.

Van Den Berg has been pretty good, but you are right, it is really just Thurlow and Jeffery at the moment. Eli Templeton has been playing well too, but he is a really good draft chance for next year. The guy I have been disappointed with is Thor Boscott. I thought he might have been a real prospect from a year or two ago, but hasn't done his draft chances any favours at all so far. Be good to see Jesse Lonergan back for the next game, he will bring some much needed class to our midfield.

To be honest though, even though, I am not too disappointed with the prospects this year. I would kind of rather have two or three very strong prospects than five or six reasonable ones, like last year. Although last year's squad had a lot more depth, this year's squad has two pretty high quality players in Lonergan and Thurlow, and Jeffery is really putting his hand up as well. Still a long way to go in this carnival, and then there is draft camp, but I would not be surprised if we get a first rounder and maybe two second rounders this year. Thurlow is easily on track for all-australian half back flanker.

Has anyone heard anything about the 2 boys from clarence football club in terms of draft prospects. Beau Webster and Andrew Blight? Both over ages, both have good height. From what ive heard Blight is 192cm who moves well and plays both ends of the ground, quoted as "extremely couragous" and webster is 199cm and has a good set of hands and good pace for his height, also played down back in the last quarter against VIC metro.

Brown from Glenorchy, would he still be on clubs radars?
How is his body holding up this year?
His body seems to be holding up well, watched him play against clarence on the weekends, very good in the ruck taps but doesnt do much around the ground like the modern ruckmans needs to do.

Jarrod Hibberd has been putting his hand up for selection over the carnival. Looking into him a bit more he was named the best state under 15s player a few years ago. He has had 83 disposals in four games averaging just under 21 touches per game and exactly four tackles a game. Anybody got more info on him?

Bryce Walsh is another big stand out. He played in the last three games of the carnival, averaging just under 24 disposals a game, with a disposal efficiency of around 67% and five tackles a game and kicked two goals. B.O.G. in the last game and arguably the game before that. The team is looking a lot better since Lonergan's inclusion, getting a more even spread of contributions.

Thurlow, Hibberd, Lonergan, Walsh, and Jeffery are all putting there hands up with strong performances in this carnival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumor has it that a very close contact at north Hobart who is now a scout for one of the afl teams is looking at big man jesse wells as a possible mature age draft pick.

Rumor has it that a very close contact at north Hobart who is now a scout for one of the afl teams is looking at big man jesse wells as a possible mature age draft pick.

There were definitely scouts at a game earlier in the year having a look at him and he kicked 4 or 5 goals in the final quarter when switched from defence to attack, wouldnt have done his chances any harm.

Brady Jones denied that he had any contact from an AFL club in today's mercury.

We have been doing a bit better than that. If you count Darley, Weller, and Russell - which you should, we had four last year Schade, Hall, Darley, and Webster. We had Green, Weller, Russell, Philips, Howe, Gilbee, and Burbury from 2010. That is not including Ian Callinan and Tim Mohr, who were recruited in those years, but not out of Tassie. We should expect at least four players a year. If our state league was stronger, and if we had an AFL team of our own, I suspect we would have about twice that.

Tassie produces good sports people. Look at our rowing, cycling, cricket, and hockey players, for instance. Our aussie rules boys aren't getting all the opportunities to develop that the Vic kids get. It is a shame, because when we are included in national comps, we usually do pretty well. Tassie Tigers are a great example of what being included in the national comp can do for Tasmania. Five Tasmanians playing for Australia in the one year is incredible for a state our size. I see no reason why we wouldn't have the same impact in Aussie rules if we had our own team down here, helping our juniors develop. I hate Andrew Demetriou. He killed us.

Dont lie down, other than Vic, the rest of Aus want a fair go for you Taswegians, your pedigree is beyond question.

Demetriou has a role re growth, he is not only to blame, its OK for Fitz to schmooze the pollies in Hobart .. OK, but at what price, who loses ... who wins?

So far we have write ups for Thurlow, Jefferey, Lonergan, and Walsh. I'll update it with info from the carnival and do some player comparisons shortly. When the draft camp happens, I'll update it again with those results. Is there anyone else who seems like a big draft chance besides those four? Doesn't have to be draft age players, could be from the TSL also. If there is someone else you think deserves to be up there let me know, or do a write up on the player and I'll add it to the OP.

Huge wraps on Jaye Bowden. He is on fire at the moment. Looks a half decent chance to get a rookie contract. Still only 23, and with the expanded competition, he has a better chance than ever to get himself on a list somewhere.

JUST when you thought he could not get any better, Jaye Bowden stepped up a level at KGV yesterday with an eight-goal masterclass that sunk Lauderdale in his 100th senior game for Glenorchy.
Bowden's brilliance was mesmerising as he ran riot from one end of the field to another.
It was inside the forward 50 where Bowden swung his wrecking ball the hardest, his eight goals a personal best and prompting coach Ben Beams to launch a drive to get the 23-year-old drafted.
"I'll push as much as I can and we'll send as many edits away as we can, just to give him a chance he is that good," Beams said.
"I look at (older) blokes in the AFL like Ian Callinan and these sort of guys, Orren Stephenson down at Geelong Jaye's got 10 years of footy in him at that level.
"He's all class. He's a credit to himself, and I'm glad he's on our side."
Bowden's haul made up the majority of Glenorchy's 57-point win over Lauderdale, the Pies surging to a powerful 18.4 (112) to 7.17 (55) win.

Source:
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/07/15/346441_sport-news.html

Bowden should be on an AFL list, definately good enough

Yeah. His age may even count for him, as he is a ready made player. Teams like GWS, Gold Coast and Melbourne are going to need more 24 year olds next year to be competitive. Not that I'd particularly want to be a mature aged recruit playing for Gold Coast, with how they have treated Sam Iles.

Great to see a few of the 2013 prospects step up to secure spots in the best on ground picks this week - K Kolodjashnij - Z Webster - E Templeton against strong senior teams.

Now that the TSL home and away season has ended, I'd be extremely interested to hear from you guys about which of our youngsters, or mature aged players, you feel has performed best over the course of the year in the TSL. Who is the likely rising star winner from this year? Interesting to see that all of them have gone on to play AFL (with Lonergan very likely to also).

Corporate Express Winners
2005 Tom Hislop
2006 Grant Birchall
2007 Tom Collier
2008 Mitch Robinson
2009 Ryan Harwood
2010 Josh Green
2011 Jesse Lonergan

In other news, Bryce Walsh, who has a terrific NAB carnival, was among the top 30 vote getters for the Tassie Medal. Massive effort from him. Hopefully he can find a spot on an AFL list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back