Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d gladly take McEvoy as a stop gap if we can’t find a longer term option. I also still think there’s potential for Wingard to be lethal in our forward line
I suspect we’re in the minority but I agree on Wingard. I think he’d be great in our forward line, him and Weightman would be a class goal scoring small forward combo, with Garcia & VDM adding the grunt. Probably would still cost a bit though. McEvoy + Wingard for Lip + ??

I’d gladly take McEvoy as a stop gap if we can’t find a longer term option. I also still think there’s potential for Wingard to be lethal in our forward line
Wingard would take a lot more to get though. Unless we are prepared to trade out a quality player I don't see how we'd be in the market

Wingate tries to get himself free from a man at all times. This unfortunately is how he plays the game. Watch his man get used repeatedly on the way out of defence.
I would rather use the money to keep our players together.

Yes it is decision a lot clubs in flag contention need to make do you trade a younger player on the fringe who could turn out very good Like a Lipinski and get in someone who has been a topliner with potentially only a few years left. The cats do it a lot. I would only do it on an absolute needs basis and for us that is a key defender or a ruckman.

McEvoy has shown he can play defence at times as well. I’m not advocating playing him as a defender full time but he’d be a good backup option for the bigger guys like Dixon etc. whilst sharing the ruck load with Timmy.

I think it’s time for the Hawks to repay us for the Lake trade all of those years ago.

Mcevoy, Mitchell, Jeager and Wingard all up for trade for the right price
If that's the case, McEvoy is an absolute no-brainer. Not sure there's a more perfect player for us given he'd be relatively cheap and would still have another 2 competitive years in him.

I'd consider Wingard for the right price. Yes, he chose the Hawks, but he did strongly consider us at the time so it's not like previous cases where we weren't even given a second thought.

If that's the case, McEvoy is an absolute no-brainer. Not sure there's a more perfect player for us given he'd be relatively cheap and would still have another 2 competitive years in him.

I'd consider Wingard for the right price. Yes, he chose the Hawks, but he did strongly consider us at the time so it's not like previous cases where we weren't even given a second thought.
Even if is was available at the right price doesn't make it the right move. We have no second or third round pick, so we are going to have to trade someone out or get FA compo through someone uncontracted leaving to get anything as well as pay for Sam Darcy. Wise heads will prevail I am sure, but we need to ruthlessly prioritise our areas of need (KPD and possibly ruck).

Even if is was available at the right price doesn't make it the right move. We have no second or third round pick, so we are going to have to trade someone out or get FA compo through someone uncontracted leaving to get anything as well as pay for Sam Darcy. Wise heads will prevail I am sure, but we need to ruthlessly prioritise our areas of need (KPD and possibly ruck).
I see it a bit like the Treloar situation - wasn't the clearest need, but we were in the right place at the right time and would've been crazy to turn it down. We always have future picks we can play with. I'd take McEvoy every day of the week before Wingard though (and would 100% prioritise if he was gettable), but if we were offered the opportunity to take Wingard for Lipinski + future 2nd/3rd and at a reasonable salary, you'd do it knowing it improves the side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see it a bit like the Treloar situation - wasn't the clearest need, but we were in the right place at the right time and would've been crazy to turn it down. We always have future picks we can play with. I'd take McEvoy every day of the week before Wingard though (and would 100% prioritise if he was gettable), but if we were offered the opportunity to take Wingard for Lipinski + future 2nd/3rd and at a reasonable salary, you'd do it knowing it improves the side
I get what you are saying. Altho we had the salary cap space that we cleared when Wingard was allegedly coming the first time. Treloar has now taken that space.

We also need to look to the future a bit, with Naughton, B.Smith, Dunkley, Daniel and others also coming into their prime years, I would argue that Wingard is perhaps a luxury we may not be able to afford.

It could be that we can't find a KPD or genuine ruck who is available, fits our club / team / game style and comes at the right price. Hence names like McStay come as possible swing options.

This is the balancing act that Sam Power has to play. Given his track record I will back him in.

I suspect we’re in the minority but I agree on Wingard. I think he’d be great in our forward line, him and Weightman would be a class goal scoring small forward combo, with Garcia & VDM adding the grunt. Probably would still cost a bit though. McEvoy + Wingard for Lip + ??

....our 2022 1st rounder. I’d wrap it up with a big ribbon as well - would totally top us off for 3 - 4 years with JUH and Darcy coming up behind.

Now if we could just find a Nankervis type Ruck that is just primed to break out and just requires an opportunity. Is there any at State level that are showing anything apart from the usual suspects?
Maybe one of Ports back ups, Chol has been discussed but I feel that if he moves Suns are probably the more likely destination for him.
English needs another Ruck to allow him to be a damaging Forward/ Ruck.
Sammy your challenge is set go too work and do us proud once again 😀

Why would hawthorn trade their captain after one year? Cmon peeps..

Did you think Griffen was going to leave? Changing coaches prompts some pretty strange responses at times. I’m not saying we can get them but it’s worth asking the question of their managers. One of the reason Wingard chose the Hawks was Clarko......

Why would hawthorn trade their captain after one year? Cmon peeps..

Sam Mitchell sounds like he wants to go in a different direction to Clarkson and now has a big say in the recruiting.

Having said that, I think it would be a bit strange. Reeves is still only young and it would allow him to learn and develop off McEvoy.

Cale hooker for a year at full back might be a very good stop gap next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back