Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Randell is the Mike Brady of list management.

They are both still miraculously coasting on long faded dubious glories.

They get trotted out once a year as the pinnacle of their professions.

They are producers go to guys when they are looking fill air time with content between things of actual worth.

Personally I find something worthwhile to do whenever either of these silly old duffers appear in front of a microphone.

Typically that entails coming in here and making snarky comments about them.
And yet Rendell still seems to know more than Goddard who appears to have not watched a single game since he retired.

The interesting this is most Crows fans think him and O’Brien can’t play in the same team.
Based on a VERY limited sample size, I think they're similar players. Straughn does look like a more competant forward though (basing this off stats and highlights. He can also take a contested grab.

Adelaide plucked him from the VFL. It shows that there is talent around.

So does anyone want to take a stab at working out our list spots?

Hayes, Cavarra delisted.

Roarke & Sweet upgraded to the main list.

Doesn't leave us with the option to pick up DFAs.
It's possible that Sweet stays on the rookie list for another 12 months before being upgraded next year, once he reaches the 4 year limit.

This keeps getting repeated but as far as I can tell it's not true. You can have up to 38 main list spots and we only have 32 filled, then Darcy and probably a couple of rookie upgrades. We can delist rookies (Cav/Hayes) and translate their spots into main list positions if we want to.

Ah ok I thought there was a rule where you needed to draft at least 3 players? No? My response was more so around adding in two more players (both Ceglar and Wingard).

We’ll likely never know the backstory regarding our efforts to secure a ruckman this trade period (unless there is a last minute twist!).

My guess is we spoke to a few but none of the ones Bevo would actually play were interested or they had demands we wouldn’t meet.

Still hoping we have our eyes on someone, either as a late trade or as a mature aged player in the draft.

And yet Rendell still seems to know more than Goddard who appears to have not watched a single game since he retired.
I wouldn't know. I can't recall a time when Ive heard Goddard speak.

However, it does feed into my narrative that we as followers of the game are not well served by the quality of analysis and opinion that we are given by the football media. I may have made this same point once or thrice before.

We’ll likely never know the backstory regarding our efforts to secure a ruckman this trade period (unless there is a last minute twist!).

My guess is we spoke to a few but none of the ones Bevo would actually play were interested or they had demands we wouldn’t meet.

Still hoping we have our eyes on someone, either as a late trade or as a mature aged player in the draft.

According to a few in the know, we were deep in talks with one particular ruckman who's contracted, injured, didn't play this season, and potentially was looking to re-home. For one reason or another, those talks broke down and we were left scratching our asses.

The interesting this is most Crows fans think him and O’Brien can’t play in the same team.
I expect the same thing - he seems more of a first ruck to me. He would have been perfect for us and solved a ruck problem for a number of years.

Ah ok I thought there was a rule where you needed to draft at least 3 players? No? My response was more so around adding in two more players (both Ceglar and Wingard).
I believe the rule is you need to use 3 draft selections, and upgrading rookies counts as a draft selection. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I suppose that drafting Darcy and upgrading Roarke means we conceivably need to do one more (could upgrade Gardner).

So does anyone want to take a stab at working out our list spots?

Hayes, Cavarra delisted.

Roarke & Sweet upgraded to the main list.

Doesn't leave us with the option to pick up DFAs.
So my guess is:
Main list:
IN: Sam Darcy, Roarke Smith, O’Brien
OUT: Lipinski, Lloyd, Young, Jong

Rookie list (must reduce by 1 due to Scott SSP signing):
IN:
OUT: Hayes, Cavarra, Roarke Smith

This leaves our main list at 35, CatA rookie list at 4 (39 total) and CatB rookie list at 1 which falls outside the 42 limit. Lists must include 36-38 main list and 4-6 rookies.

It's possible that we upgrade either Sweet or Gardner but we don't need to do so immediately as they can both stay on for another year. We could also move up to 2 players from the main list to the rookie list (as we did with Cavarra and Hayes last year), opening up more main list spots for trade/draft should we really want to.

Unless we have any more signings or list changes, our main draft can be 2-4 new players (incl Darcy), and our rookie draft can be max 2 picks if we draft 2 to the main list, and 1 less for every main draft pick we use.

Last edited:
I believe the rule is you need to use 3 draft selections, and upgrading rookies counts as a draft selection. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I suppose that drafting Darcy and upgrading Roarke means we conceivably need to do one more (could upgrade Gardner).

I think we’ll draft a ruckman too. We have to.

According to a few in the know, we were deep in talks with one particular ruckman who's contracted, injured, didn't play this season, and potentially was looking to re-home. For one reason or another, those talks broke down and we were left scratching our asses.
I heard that too. If that’s correct, you’d think we’d have had another candidate lined up. Bevo has a very specific idea though of what a ruckman should do if they want a game. If the other candidates (ie Lynch) don’t tend to do those things I guess they’d be screened out quickly.

It might just be that he thinks Martin/Sweet can do what they can do anyway so why bother. I’m still hopeful there’s a lower league player they’re considering, at least so we can cover injuries.

I think he is Bevo's prototype for the ideal ruckman.

It's only been 3 games, but I am a big fan. I am hoping he explores a move next year.
He was my no 1 target until he signed in early September. Wouldn't have cost too much you'd expect.

Getting Beveridge a ruck is useless unless he'll play them.
As much as I'm sure Footscray would enjoy watching Ceglar line up for them while we play Roarke Smith or Mitch Hannan as first ruck I'm not sure it really benefits the team or player.

I feel like rucks know that too. I think they steer clear specifically for that reason.

So my guess is:
Main list:
IN: Sam Darcy, Roarke Smith, O’Brien
OUT: Lipinski, Lloyd, Young, Jong

Rookie list (must reduce by 1 due to Scott SSP signing):
IN:
OUT: Hayes, Cavarra, Roarke Smith

It's possible that we upgrade either Sweet or Gardner but we don't need to do so immediately as they can both stay on for another year. We could also move up to 2 players from the main list to the rookie list (as we did with Cavarra and Hayes last year), opening up more main list spots for trade/draft should we really want to.

Unless we have any more signings or list changes, our main draft can be 2-4 new players (incl Darcy), and our rookie draft can be max 2 picks if we draft 2 to the main list, and 1 less for each additional main list pick.

4 spots would be a good position to be in. I’d be hoping for Darcy, 1x live pick MD, 1x DFA (if there’s someone suitable but hasn’t even been any word that we’re keen on Schlensog which is a bit strange) and 1x rookie pick

An inability to attract a competent ruck that Bev would play is a possible black mark on Power. However supply of rucks that Bev would play may be extremely imited.

My query is the recontracting of Sweet and whether Bev will play him. If Bev won't play him why did we sign him? Suck and see I guess. Given Stef Martin may be running on fumes we will find out next yr.

List management signing rucks Bev won't pick shits me. Hope Sweet is different.

An inability to attract a competent ruck that Bev would play is a possible black mark on Power. However supply of rucks that Bev would play may be extremely imited.

My query is the recontracting of Sweet and whether Bev will play him. If Bev won't play him why did we sign him? Suck and see I guess. Given Stef Martin may be running on fumes we will find out next yr.

List management signing rucks Bev won't pick shits me. Hope Sweet is different.
How is it a black mark on Power? There isnt anyone available that doesn't have major question marks and we dont have the picks/cap to go after anyone thats in the elite bracket

Have all these guys been resigned? Correct me if I’m wrong but if you’re taken in the mid season draft it’s a 6month contract and unless they’ve been re-signed for next year might be able to be taken as a DFA?
Yep - expect for the Hawthorn mid who put an 18 month contract on his head.
Not sure of the status of the rucks except for the guy North took who signed an extension. I do note Cody Raak was overlooked despite being a chance for the mid season draft. Medium intercepting defender who has shown signs, would be nice if he slid to us as a rookie (Cat A or B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back