Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does he accept staying in a back-up capacity versus more money to play elsewhere?
I dont think we can pay him more money. We are going to be capped out this year and Freo would be able to counter any offer. The lure of league footy instead of WAFL however would be appealing of course. I think our list is really unbalanced atm due to missing on some draft picks

Where's this idea that Ben McKay is a star player that would help our defence has come from. He gets lots of opportunities to intercept given how many I50 North concede, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he is a average or slightly above average player in a very bad team that doesn't look so woeful given some of the bad players around him, but isn't necessarily that good.

Tarrant's had blokes run around him this year for Richmond but was still a better player than McKay last year. I'm not sure he'd really improve our defence.

Because he’s shown a lot under the circumstances he’s in, which is in a team conceding a metric *tonne of I50’s and usually being on the back foot.

I played as a defender in a pretty social league, the team wasn’t great and it was a hard life always being on the go when you knew the ball was coming straight back down there. Norf is about the equivalent of that, in a team where you’re getting more of a breather and not allowing so many entries, he’d flourish.

As for trade value, he would be almost irreplaceable for Norf, but we need to be bold & shake someone loose if nobody is more easily available. I’ve seen a few people say there’s not many available in the uncontracted list, but we just need to make someone available.

Anyone know how Lewis Melican’s form has been in the VFL? He could be an option but is a little on the shorter side.

Pretty sure Ben McKay is on a pretty decent contract. I feel like there's better options out there because I'm not sure he's mobile enough to work in our backline but we definitely need someone who's ready to go because Keath is proving to be unreliable of late.

Pretty sure Ben McKay is on a pretty decent contract. I feel like there's better options out there because I'm not sure he's mobile enough to work in our backline but we definitely need someone who's ready to go because Keath is proving to be unreliable of late.

Yeah he's on pretty reasonable coin.

Logue would be a great get. Would likely cost our first rounder plus/minus a little (depending where we finish), but don’t think he’s going to get squillions in a contract. If May was a 650-700k guy (?), then Logue is probably a 500k guy?

Would also be smart by Freo, moving on a KPD who only plays sporadically for a decent trade return, and invest into their midfield….

This is looking back at history but does anyone know if there's a known reason why you didn't chase Ben Brown?

He was basically pushed out by his club like Treloar and went for unders...to Melbourne and he helped them win a premiership.

It didn't seem like there were many keen suitors which I thought was crazy given he's a proven forward ruck.

He would have been perfect for you guys as it's a gaping list hole and cost not much different to Treloar, qho is a good player but wasn't as big a need.

Logue would be a great get. Would likely cost our first rounder plus/minus a little (depending where we finish), but don’t think he’s going to get squillions in a contract. If May was a 650-700k guy (?), then Logue is probably a 500k guy?

Would also be smart by Freo, moving on a KPD who only plays sporadically for a decent trade return, and invest into their midfield….
If he plays limited afl level footy for the remainder of the year, he will be closer to 400k.

I really like him as a player but I am not sure he compliments our backline. We probably need someone to take the monsters rather than a 2nd or 3rd tall. I am not sure he would be capable of that. In fairness I didn’t think Keath would be either but I was proven wrong.

This is looking back at history but does anyone know if there's a known reason why you didn't chase Ben Brown?

He was basically pushed out by his club like Treloar and went for unders...to Melbourne and he helped them win a premiership.

It didn't seem like there were many keen suitors which I thought was crazy given he's a proven forward ruck.

He would have been perfect for you guys as it's a gaping list hole and cost not much different to Treloar, qho is a good player but wasn't as big a need.
A forward line with Josh Bruce and Ben Brown would be terribly slow. We also played English as a forward ruck last year so it wasn’t a hole when he was available.

It’s only a gaping hole because Bruce is out with a knee. Once he comes back the structure will be a lot better.

Probably because we ended up getting Bruce.

Beside the fact that it wasn't a gaping hole at the time, I don't think we could have afforded to bring him in.

A forward line with Josh Bruce and Ben Brown would be terribly slow. We also played English as a forward ruck last year so it wasn’t a hole when he was available.

It’s only a gaping hole because Bruce is out with a knee. Once he comes back the structure will be a lot better.

From my perspective it was obvious Martin was on his last legs even then though and English would become the no.1 ruck.

Also I don't think it would be slow...Bruce and Brown are actually quite mobile for key forwards.

Even if Bruce didn't get injured, I think Dogs could have done with another tall.

English, Brown, Bruce and Naughton would be a great set up.

Melbourne have Gawn, Jackson, McDonald and Brown/Weideman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven May and Kade Kolodjashnij were traded for pick 6 in 2018, while we took Baz with pick 7. No idea if we were ever considered by May but damn he would have been perfect.

Melbourne invested heavily in their defensive key pillars. We tried to moneyball it. Maybe we through some big offers out but either way couldn't get it done.

It's a key reason they're well ahead of us right now & I think we'll look back at this period since 2016 & regret spending so much on our midfield while leaving the key defence exposed.

Keath, Obrien etc should have been 2nd or 3rd additions at best with at least one headline name down there. Keath has been amazing, but I think he would have been even more of an asset alongside a big name KPD.

The flow on effect of having Lever & May behind the ball to the rest of their system is massive & this gap means we're SO midfield dependant if you beat us there we're in real trouble (as we've seen).

Anyone know how Lewis Melican’s form has been in the VFL? He could be an option but is a little on the shorter side.
He's looked good when I've seen him, a 'neat' footballer. I guess with both McCartins playing well and Amartey a utility he may be gettable?
Contracted until 2023

Melbourne invested heavily in their defensive key pillars. We tried to moneyball it. Maybe we through some big offers out but either way couldn't get it done.

It's a key reason they're well ahead of us right now & I think we'll look back at this period since 2016 & regret spending so much on our midfield while leaving the key defence exposed.

Keath, Obrien etc should have been 2nd or 3rd additions at best with at least one headline name down there. Keath has been amazing, but I think he would have been even more of an asset alongside a big name KPD.

The flow on effect of having Lever & May behind the ball to the rest of their system is massive & this gap means we're SO midfield dependant if you beat us there we're in real trouble (as we've seen).
What does an SPP signing, a DFA signing, 4 former rookies and a pick 43 have in common?

They were our 2016 premiership winning defence (6 on field, one rotating on the bench)

Last edited:
What does an SPP signing, a DFA signing, 4 former rookies and a pick 43 have in common?

They were our 2016 premiership winning defence (6 on field, one rotating on the bench)

Another way of looking at that defence is it contained the Captain, who was B&F and All-Australian the year before, a former Captain and 3x AA (including as a defender that year) and 3x B&F and another AA who was arguably even better than the other two. Plus the Norm Smith medallist and runner up in the B&F the following year.

You can't really say we were just winging it with rookies and late picks in our defence in 2016 when half the players you're talking about are Dale Morris, Matt Boyd and Easton Wood. They'd all been on the list for 8+ years and were club leaders and excellent defenders. The group around them may have been a bit motley, but they were huge pillars.

The AAs down there atm are Bailey Dale and Caleb Daniel, who, let's be honest, both got AA nods for their attacking work rather than defensive. Keath aside, would you put anyone in the current defence even close to Morris, Boyd and Wood?

Another way of looking at that defence is it contained the Captain, who was B&F and All-Australian the year before, a former Captain and 3x AA (including as a defender that year) and 3x B&F and another AA who was arguably even better than the other two. Plus the Norm Smith medallist and runner up in the B&F the following year.

You can't really say we were just winging it with rookies and late picks in our defence in 2016 when half the players you're talking about are Dale Morris, Matt Boyd and Easton Wood. They'd all been on the list for 8+ years and were club leaders and excellent defenders. The group around them may have been a bit motley, but they were huge pillars.

The AAs down there atm are Bailey Dale and Caleb Daniel, who, let's be honest, both got AA nods for their attacking work rather than defensive. Keath aside, would you put anyone in the current defence even close to Morris, Boyd and Wood?
I think your post highlights the problem with our current backline - which in my opinion is not personnel but organisation and leadership.

In that 2016 campaign we had Boyd as the high defensive general organising our behind the ball defensive structures and Morris as the deep general organising our last line. Our defensive system was the best in the game and it was because we had guys who were brilliant at surveying the whole field and organising other players as well as doing the task they were sent out to do.

It's hard to tell who our current backline gernerals are. Keath and Doc seem to be the most vocal, but with ongoing injury issues we are probably lacking consistent voices. It would also be hard for two guys who have only been at the club for a few years to command the same respect that two legends of the club would have had back in 2016.

Steven May was a gamble, especially on injury.

Look at the media articles from ~ July 2020 where Melbourne were being derided for trading him in and missing out on Ben King. The difference a season makes!

Also, we were a mild 19 points up halfway through the third in the GF. I suspect your outlook may be slightly different had we hung on. The difference 45 minutes makes!

My point…… don’t despair too much about our list - there are pretty fine margins in play. On balance i reckon our list is stronger than Melbourne’s. Injuries comparatively along with game style are what is holding us back vs them.

I saw some discussion on Logue on recent pages, I don't think there is any chance we let him go

Hamling is the one that will request a trade and we would likely let go, would come very cheap IMO due to his age and injury history, might actually work for a team thats challenging like you, would depend if relationships were tarnished or not when he left, his original reason for coming home was to be around his dad who has since passed away.

I saw some discussion on Logue on recent pages, I don't think there is any chance we let him go

Hamling is the one that will request a trade and we would likely let go, would come very cheap IMO due to his age and injury history, might actually work for a team thats challenging like you, would depend if relationships were tarnished or not when he left, his original reason for coming home was to be around his dad who has since passed away.
Hamling has a good relationship with all of his premiership team mates, that’s not the issue but he is past it.

Inside Trading article is saying that Caleb Daniel is edging closer to a new deal taking him through to the end of 2026

Didn't realise Alex Pearce is a free agent.

No brainer for us. Only thing holding us back is his salary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back