Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH if Baz is determined to go then 7+ and a first round pick upgrade is reasonable.
Pick 7 will become pick 11 if North get top end compensation for McKay, and the Suns have 3 bids placed inside the top 7 (not likely, but it is still possible), may as well call it pick 12 if North get Sanders for free too.

Cats have a strong culture and standards, they can easily bounce back and finish ahead of us next year as well. And who knows what academy or concession picks will be in place next year. Thus two first round picks could easily be two picks in the mid teens. I think we need at least one of the picks to be a near guaranteed top 10 pick.

Mitch Cleary mentioned us earlier in the year
But nothing since. I don't hold any weight on old news. Been a few clubs linked to him recently but no mention of us. I think Hawks will get him anyway. Be interesting if we return to being interested again. Not sure how we can get him in, since Bell will make us pay overs again, and we want to hit the draft. Plus the potential for Croft.

I am getting sick and tired of players wanting out.
Why do we struggle to keep them?

How do other clubs navigate their way in dealing with players?

Sick of letting talent walk out the door.

Get your s**t together Dogs

Last edited:
Like the assessment and probably similar to mine and add OBrien however where do they get 9 capable players to replace them in one draft / trade period ?

Because of the way our list has been managed we have too many players not capable at the level, to be honest you can include role players like Anthony Scott and Garcia who have contracts which fall into the same boat. These players are really fill in, not regulars.

To be honest it is 2 or 3 years of deep cuts say 6 off list instead of your typical 3 or 4. Not counting the players who opt out like Dunkley (or Smith) or pushed like Hunter or Stringer.

I think we are in mini rebuild mode not to say the rebound can be quick like Port have done if you are aggressive and savvy

Bringing in enough players to replace losing 9 players would be difficult and they definitely cannot be all draftees.

Probably need to bring some players in through trades. We have been linked with Henry and Tomlinson whilst not anything to get excited about they would fill roles or be better depth.

We would need to grab a back up ruck if sweet leaves.

I’d be bringing in 4-5 draftees hopefully an early first rounder before Croft and then another draftee or two later.

Also not all of those guys going are on the senior list and JOD and Poulter could move to the senior list in place of a couple to provide us the option to use the rookie list more and not have to bring in 8-9 senior list players rather something like 6-7 senior list and 2-3 rookies.

Grabbing and giving a delisted free agent or two an opportunity wouldn’t be the worst either.

I think we could do a 9 list turnover in an off season without being worse off depth wise but we definitely need to consider not cutting too deep.

Of the guys listed Roarke, O’Brien, Hannan barely got on the park this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m massive on Kai Lohmann, would give up a lot to get him in.
What are you big on with him out of curiosity? 1 goal in 8 career games, had 3 big games tackling wise, but low to none in the others, and only got double figure disposals once. Draft profile lists weaknesses as accumulation, off ball work and finishing, which the stats back up,. And are three areas we need improvement on from our own smalls on a more consistent basis. Are we signing him on potential or production? Just nervous given the last few fringe to bench players we have gotten from other teams have been poor and not improved with us. Happy to work with him if people genuinely believe we can get better out of him and not over pay.

If he moves from one Melb club, to another with a bigger fan base and scrutiny, then I'd have serious questions about us as a club and our ability to deal with player issues, especially if its mental health related and not behavior. Or the rumors about him "needing to escape the bubble", which wouldn't make sense at all if the Hawks came knocking.

You make a good point. The same does apply to Stringer.

I’m no fan of Stringer… far from it. But the same thing does apply.

Yes it does and Stringer should have been kept on.
Stringer is not a good footballer, getting rid of him made sense, never gotten close to sniffing his 2015 form at the Bombers.

If he moves from one Melb club, to another with a bigger fan base and scrutiny, then I'd have serious questions about us as a club and our ability to deal with player issues, especially if its mental health related and not behavior. Or the rumors about him "needing to escape the bubble", which wouldn't make sense at all if the Hawks came knocking.
Pick 3 thanks Hawthorn

Hunter is a weird one. Dees welcomed him with open arms and said you play this role (wing) and that’s it. Not shocking he has bounced back. Was a victim of being Bevo’d and thrown around the place everywhere all the while having to deal with his off field stuff costing him on field.

What are you big on with him out of curiosity? 1 goal in 8 career games, had 3 big games tackling wise, but low to none in the others, and only got double figure disposals once. Draft profile lists weaknesses as accumulation, off ball work and finishing, which the stats back up,. And are three areas we need improvement on from our own smalls on a more consistent basis. Are we signing him on potential or production? Just nervous given the last few fringe to bench players we have gotten from other teams have been poor and not improved with us. Happy to work with him if people genuinely believe we can get better out of him and not over pay.
Admittedly the dogs have made me lose a lot of interest in footy over the last 12 months but the small amount I saw of him, mainly last year, were seriously impressive.

I don’t see him as a real small forward, more a high half forward who can do damage delivering to the genuine forwards, maybe something like a Gryan Miers.

His stats don’t look great but judging by his time in ground percentage it looks like he’s been the sub in most games this year.

Regarding Bailey Smith - this is a hunch only he seems a pretty loyal person so i think it would be a surprise if he wanted out.

BUT the way the club is right now with everything up in the air and all the innuendo it cannot be helping him.

Think Dogs need to wait and deal with some bigger issues before deciding on Smith.

Spot on. Would raise a lot of questions if it’s another melb club.

Regarding Bailey Smith - this is a hunch only he seems a pretty loyal person so i think it would be a surprise if he wanted out.

BUT the way the club is right now with everything up in the air and all the innuendo it cannot be helping him.

Think Dogs need to wait and deal with some bigger issues before deciding on Smith.

I think he stays personally

He loves Bevo and if he’s not going anywhere I don’t think Bailey will either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back