Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Since no one else will say it, I’ll state the obvious: it’s time to get Ayce Cordy back to the club. Via the rookie list if need be.
I wish we did some more draft tampering for Cordy back in 2008. He was never going to play in his first couple of years (played 2 games in 2011). Should have just had him play VFL for 2 years and nominate in the same draft as Wallis and Libba so we could get him for our 3rd pick under the old system.

We’ve been overall recent beneficiaries of the father-son and academy rules but **** me it was annoying paying a first rounder for Cordy only 2 years after Geelong got Hawkins for a 3rd rounder (allowing them to get Selwood early).

Yep, not “fair” but it’s what would happen.

How long is the list of young KPPs formerly from WA that your board is discussing? Buss, DGB, Gibcus, McDonald, van Rooyen?
Buss-Rated highly as discussed, often gets a mention

DGB-rated poorly, token 4th rounder no one suggesting we go after him

Gibcus- VicC Kid WTF?

McDonald- we will almost certainly make a play next year but Freo already loaded with 3 1R and are actively planning for him

JVR-few mentions in Reid trade but not many that keen on him

Anyone got mail on English? Most of our board don’t seem keen to pay 1m+ for him

Gibcus- VicC Kid WTF?

McDonald- we will almost certainly make a play next year but Freo already loaded with 3 1R and are actively planning for him

Anyone got mail on English? Most of our board don’t seem keen to pay 1m+ for him
Gibcus was born in Qld moved to WA then Victoria he mentioned it in an interview the kid has lived everywhere lol.

I wish we did some more draft tampering for Cordy back in 2008. He was never going to play in his first couple of years (played 2 games in 2011). Should have just had him play VFL for 2 years and nominate in the same draft as Wallis and Libba so we could get him for our 3rd pick under the old system.

We’ve been overall recent beneficiaries of the father-son and academy rules but **** me it was annoying paying a first rounder for Cordy only 2 years after Geelong got Hawkins for a 3rd rounder (allowing them to get Selwood early).
Why would Cordy have done that though? If given a choice between playing semi-professional state league footy with no job security, or nominating for the draft and just going elsewhere, you'd take the latter every day of the week

Why would Cordy have done that though? If given a choice between playing semi-professional state league footy with no job security, or nominating for the draft and just going elsewhere, you'd take the latter every day of the week
Oh you’d still guarantee him a contract just starting 2 years later. And of course he’d do some odd jobs around the club for some extra pocket money while plying his trade in the VFL, completely unrelated to his playing prospects of course but to help out the son of a former player.

We’d just agree it all over text message and then everyone loses their phones if the AFL starts asking questions.

Gibcus- VicC Kid WTF?

Reckon English is 50-50 to stay or go, but probably to another Vic team.

Thank you. Sensible answer, I think 2R straight swap is fair, especially if PSD is available and he wants to leave but yes, a lot of water to go under the bridge.
It's the only answer you consider "sensible" because it's the answer you came into this thread wanting to hear. The point as others have made is that it's 12 months out in a career which is only 12 months old, for a developing 19 year old key defender. He could play from round 1 and win the rising star award. He could also regress and look nowhere near it. In either case, would this mean a 2nd round pick is fair?

The actual "sensible answer" is that no one knows what his trade worth could be at this stage.

Thank you. Sensible answer, I think 2R straight swap is fair, especially if PSD is available and he wants to leave but yes, a lot of water to go under the bridge.

I think it would be hard for the Eagles to do a deal as they are going to continue being a dumpster fire for the foreseeable future, so Buss would probably want to just stay at the club investing time and effort into him.

So **** off now, cheers

It's not really about trade worth, it's about contract value to be fair.

West Coast might have a mountain of money but if Busslinger plays well, you'd have to pay a 1st rounder plus outbid the Dogs in a contract. Which would make little sense as opposed to simply taking that pick itself to the draft for less salary against the cap. Any "PSD threat" is pointless because that would imply the team is so crap that the amount of money demanded would be even greater.

I just can't see a scenario where it makes sense to poach a player who didn't play a game in their first year, because any probable future output isn't significantly above and beyond a raw draft pick, and you're just committing money without proven past results, which is just dumb.

A good comparison is Jackson Hately, who was pick 14 and played 15 games for GWS after two years before getting "poached" by Adelaide. They offered him a good three-year contract, which proved to be a bad contract offer. He did walk in the PSD, but played out that three year contract and was delisted, and was getting paid around $400k per year without offering anything of value to the Crows. And there's no suggestion that Busslinger would want to return home or is annoyed at the Dogs like Hately was with Giants - and it still took a committed $1.2 million to get him across.

Buss will be a good long term player. We are putting the work into him to get him confident and strong - this will take 3 years before he is a starting 22 even if he is outstanding. Very few move to be solid stars before that.

Today it is Jones, Keath and JOD (going past Gardner) with Coffield and Cleary as 3/4 talls at around 190/191. This is a good but not great tall group - will depend on how they click. Red, JJ, Dale are stars. So still a solid group.

We tried TOB and others that haven’t worked out and expect next year we will target a 28-30 year old.

Then in a few years JOD, Buss and hopefully Croft (with Gardner still continuinv to improve as being a good depth player) - we hope they can develop as stars.

We’d just agree it all over text message and then everyone loses their phones if the AFL starts asking questions.
Blatant destruction of evidence of guilt?

Naah, the AFL would never allow that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully can get him signed up as soon as possible, really good news
Love that article, so if another Fox Footy employee like Brad Johnson says, "Jamarra will stay for unders" are they going to run with that like it has been researched and reported?

Hopefully a New Zealand netball team doesn't come knocking for Rudi Ellis or else Tim English may become a New Zealand Breaker!

Yeah but remember everyone was supposedly flying last pre-season. Inside The Kennel gave all of us false hope for 2023 :)

I'm a big fan of Dom based on his 2022 VFL form and wish we gave him more AFL games at the back-end of that year.
Yep, Dom was destroying them during our pre-season intra matches. I expect him to be one to watch in 2024.

I'll be down there reporting again from November, so hopefully the hope will blossom into something more beautiful by next September. We were closer this year than some would realise, having lost seven games by 12 points of less...

The Busslinger trade talk is a bit of a strange one but I'll bite. I feel like a mid first round pick would probably get it done begrudgingly. Losing him would kind of destroy our list build going forward.

He hasn't shown much but started way behind the 8 ball this year with the shoulder.

Morning fellas. Just wondering the feel on your board for pick 5? I presume whoever is left out of Sanders and Watson but which would be the preference? Also, should Buss request a trade home to WA next year what do you think would be a fair price? I think the only way he’d request that is if you can’t pay him enough with the other big deals you have to get done. English and JUH to stay loyal but what happens to a Bailey Smith?
Mate, before you throw the cat among the pigeons, you're supposed to say, "I come in peace...".

Amateur trolls.

I hate amateur trolls.

Last edited:
Yep, Dom was destroying them during our pre-season intra matches. I expect him to be one to watch in 2024.

I'll be down there reporting again from November, so hopefully the hope will blossom into something more beautiful by next September. We were closer this year than some would realise, having lost seven games by 12 points of less...
That's assuming they don't lock all the sessions up since they're back at VUWO...

Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back