Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Would rather get a more long term prospect that’s (19-20yo) that may go at a mid range pick come draft time.

McArthur springs to mind as someone who has late birthday and great size. Plenty of development left in him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Targeting weak spots through the MSD makes perfect sense if you're intending to use them as depth, but we seem to be trying to handedly fix our wing issue with delisted players who have little room for improvement. Baker, Poulter, and now possibly Bianco, and unless Baker and Poulter become Eagleton overnight they'll likely be off the list at the end of 2025. Would hate to wish Bianco anything but success but disappointed to see we're trying the same thing that doesn't seem to be working.

Who do you have an issue with that we've brought in that are still on the list though? Remember we haven't exactly had a lot of draft picks in recent times due to the key position players we've matched early on in the draft. Of the second club players we have:

• Adam Treloar is leading our best and fairest
  • Taylor Duryea is playing very well this season
  • Rory Lobb has filled a need being a stop gap for Sam Darcy
  • Nick Coffield is depth in an area of need
  • Oskar Baker I think would fit the description of not being quality but it's definitely an area of need
  • Liam Jones is our most important player
  • James Harmes has played very well this season
  • Caleb Poulter (see Oskar Baker - though he's still relatively young)
  • Lachie Bramble I don't have a huge issue with, hasn't been horrible, probably due for a spell in the VFL but otherwise he's been handy.
  • Alex Keath was our most important defender for a stretch, is an area of need
  • Ryan Gardner is the one that is neither quality, nor an area of need (given he can't really intercept, nor can he play on a key)

I think that's a fair assessment. My thoughts on Baker and Poulter above.
I don't have a problem with the players we have traded in just that we always seem to be picking up low ceiling delisted players in the SSP and MSD when we already have a problem with our depth of AFL quality player. If we continue down this same path as this it is going to get really ugly when some of those higher end players retire or drop off.

I think someone posted an article that had some options of other list managers in the league during our bad patch and what they said is pretty much what is my problem with the list right now in that we have very good top end players but our quality kind of drops off a cliff and some of our decisions list management wise have been bizarre in recent times.

Who do you have an issue with that we've brought in that are still on the list though? Remember we haven't exactly had a lot of draft picks in recent times due to the key position players we've matched early on in the draft. Of the second club players we have:

• Adam Treloar is leading our best and fairest
  • Taylor Duryea is playing very well this season
  • Rory Lobb has filled a need being a stop gap for Sam Darcy
  • Nick Coffield is depth in an area of need
  • Oskar Baker I think would fit the description of not being quality but it's definitely an area of need
  • Liam Jones is our most important player
  • James Harmes has played very well this season
  • Caleb Poulter (see Oskar Baker - though he's still relatively young)
  • Lachie Bramble I don't have a huge issue with, hasn't been horrible, probably due for a spell in the VFL but otherwise he's been handy.
  • Alex Keath was our most important defender for a stretch, is an area of need
  • Ryan Gardner is the one that is neither quality, nor an area of need (given he can't really intercept, nor can he play on a key)
Edit: I probably think there are three on the list that should be delisted. I think we keep Poulter, delist Baker, Keath retires and Gardner I'd delist but he's contracted until 2044.

I think that's a fair assessment. My thoughts on Baker and Poulter above.
Almost all of those were best 22 at their club. That is exactly the types we should be targeting. I don't think people are referring to those players when we express dissatisfaction with some of the list decisions. Though happy with Harmes and Coffield personally.

Baker, Lobb and Gards are languishing in the VFL, Bramble fortunate to hold his spot. None are playing any better than their previous club/become regular best 22.

We also have a long list of other teams delisted / fringe players who have not gone on to become best 22 players with us. Its those types we need to get better at. As well as Footscray projects. I think the club becomes too desperate or panics, so they grab whatever is available and hope they score a hit. Don't think our eye for talent from other teams, is as good as our eye for talent in the draft. Need to bridge the gap between our top and bottom 23 players if we want to become a top four team.

Again From Inside Trading about the Mid - Season Draft so going by Cal Twomey we have two picks

MID-SEASON HUNT ON

THIS weekend's results will shape the order of next week's mid-season rookie draft, with up to 25 selections now able to be used around the competition.

Clubs will advise the AFL this week of their intentions on how many spots they are likely to open due to long-term injuries and retirements, but have until next Tuesday to formalise the movements given there could still be injuries from round 11.

The draft order will be reverse ladder order depending on which clubs have selections, with only Geelong, Greater Western Sydney and Sydney without potential vacant spots. However, the Giants have Josh Fahey set to miss three-to-four months with a foot injury and will consider placing him on the inactive list to open a position.
Brisbane (potentially four picks) and Kuwarna (three) are the clubs with the most vacant positions, while Carlton, Collingwood, North Melbourne, Richmond and the Western Bulldogs all have two.

Essendon, Walyalup, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Narrm, Euro-Yroke and Waalitj Marawar all have one open spot.

Currently, the order of the top-five picks sees North Melbourne at No.1, Richmond at No.2, Waalitj Marawar at No.3, Hawthorn at No.4 and Euro-Yroke at No.5.

Nominations for the mid-season draft close this week with clubs expected to use around 15 or so selections at this stage next Wednesday night when recruiters will log in remotely to make their picks.

Again From Inside Trading about the Mid - Season Draft so going by Cal Twomey we have two picks

MID-SEASON HUNT ON

THIS weekend's results will shape the order of next week's mid-season rookie draft, with up to 25 selections now able to be used around the competition.

Clubs will advise the AFL this week of their intentions on how many spots they are likely to open due to long-term injuries and retirements, but have until next Tuesday to formalise the movements given there could still be injuries from round 11.

The draft order will be reverse ladder order depending on which clubs have selections, with only Geelong, Greater Western Sydney and Sydney without potential vacant spots. However, the Giants have Josh Fahey set to miss three-to-four months with a foot injury and will consider placing him on the inactive list to open a position.
Brisbane (potentially four picks) and Kuwarna (three) are the clubs with the most vacant positions, while Carlton, Collingwood, North Melbourne, Richmond and the Western Bulldogs all have two.

Essendon, Walyalup, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Narrm, Euro-Yroke and Waalitj Marawar all have one open spot.

Currently, the order of the top-five picks sees North Melbourne at No.1, Richmond at No.2, Waalitj Marawar at No.3, Hawthorn at No.4 and Euro-Yroke at No.5.

Nominations for the mid-season draft close this week with clubs expected to use around 15 or so selections at this stage next Wednesday night when recruiters will log in remotely to make their picks.
Surprised Richmond doesn't have 10 picks :D

Bizarre having an issue with that.. We have 9 on the list.

We have the same amount as Brisbane and one fewer than Collingwood who were last years grand finalists.
The majority of ours were delisted by their former club, there’s a big difference between Dunkley, Daniher, Neale and Poulter, Bramble, Baker, Gardner etc

Bianco would be a poor selection, realistically how would he even possibly get a game this year when there’s still so many ahead of him. Even if we had another 5 best 22 injuries he wouldn’t be a sniff so what’s the point?

Either you’re taking him because you think he can fill a role this year, he doesn’t. Or he’ll be a long term player which is HIGHLY unlikely and just another list spot we’ll have wasted, and they’re tight because of our stupid multi year deals handed out to spuds every year.

So if you’re drafting for the future take a swing on a 19yo in a position of need, if you’re drafting for coverage this year draft someone in a position of need. He is neither so would just make no sense.

The only way I’d be okay with it is if we don’t like anyone else and it’s literally just a 6 month contract as he’s a “good bloke” and keep VFL comrade up. That would be fine as it makes no difference to our list whether we draft him or not, but let’s be honest we don’t give 6 month contracts. If we draft him he’s 100% on the list until 2026. Which is a waste of an in demand spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt there's actually anything in the Reid wanting to go back home chatter media are putting forward. Eagles will do anything to make sure he's happy.

MID-SEASON HUNT ON

Zero issue with teams changing their names during the Sir Doug Nicholls rounds but it’s a bit much to refer to the names when discussing stuff like mid season draft picks that will take place next week when names revert back.

Zero issue with teams changing their names during the Sir Doug Nicholls rounds but it’s a bit much to refer to the names when discussing stuff like mid season draft picks that will take place next week when names revert back.
It’s pathetic. At least have the actual team names in brackets because I have no idea who they’re even referring to.

Bianco would be a poor selection, realistically how would he even possibly get a game this year when there’s still so many ahead of him. Even if we had another 5 best 22 injuries he wouldn’t be a sniff so what’s the point?

Either you’re taking him because you think he can fill a role this year, he doesn’t. Or he’ll be a long term player which is HIGHLY unlikely and just another list spot we’ll have wasted, and they’re tight because of our stupid multi year deals handed out to spuds every year.

So if you’re drafting for the future take a swing on a 19yo in a position of need, if you’re drafting for coverage this year draft someone in a position of need. He is neither so would just make no sense.

The only way I’d be okay with it is if we don’t like anyone else and it’s literally just a 6 month contract as he’s a “good bloke” and keep VFL comrade up. That would be fine as it makes no difference to our list whether we draft him or not, but let’s be honest we don’t give 6 month contracts. If we draft him he’s 100% on the list until 2026. Which is a waste of an in demand spot.
I agree with nearly all of what you say but there is one more reason he might be drafted. If our injury list got very long, like Richmond's has, we could be scratching for someone to fill a role. Doesn't mean they have to be good. They just have to be better than the alternative (say McNeil). For that role you want someone who has been playing senior footy for a few years, not a 19yo stripling.

We are already down 7 players this week, leaving a respectable enough 13 players in reserve but if we get any more injuries, suspensions and retirements overlapping we might start to feel the squeeze.

That said, I wouldn't be drafting Bianco either. I have long advocated filling the last few spots with 18-21yo players who have a potentially high ceiling. Types like Picken, Morris, Moyd, JJ - all premiership players - who either weren't ready in their draft year or who are not ready now but have some very attractive attributes that could be developed in a season or two.

And let's look beyond Footscray, eh? By all accounts there are some reasonable prospects out there.

If a decision is made to draft someone for injury insurance in 2024 then fine let's draft someone who could cope with seniors like Bianco (or CCP?) but only offer them a 6 month contract with no expectation of anything beyond that. Then they have still have to work their arse off for the rest of the year to convince the club they have a future in senior footy.

Would rather re-draft Roarke Smith. Killing it in the VFL.

It’s pathetic. At least have the actual team names in brackets because I have no idea who they’re even referring to.
Here hope it helps

Kuwarna- Adelaide
Walyalup- Fremantle
Narrm - Melbourne
Euro - Yroke - St.Kilda
Waalitj Marawar - West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back