Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why it's generally accepted Croft will be a defender. All the talk and proven in the VFL is that he's more of a raw athletic talent than a skilled, natural footballer. Those athletic types could play any position on the field, and at this stage of his career, it makes the most sense to give him opportunities in all positions.

I don't think many that put much thought into it would fault the club. The best case scenario when recruiting Lobb was that this would happen, we could trade him 2 years in because Darcy has come on quicker than we thought, and get a fairly decent return for him.

You know what the worst case scenario is? Darcy doesn't eventuate and Lobb is still being relied upon in the 4th year of his deal.

We should be thanking our lucky stars.

The same fans that were pulling their hair out over rucking Dunkley, Cordy, Bruce, L.Young are the same ones who now reckon recruiting Lobb was a poor idea. Apologies on behalf of the club that the club doesn’t have a Time Machine and could know that Darcy would come on this quickly.

We also have no idea of the context of Lobb's conversations anyway. A common sense "hey guys, I know I'm contracted for two years but I'm not getting a game, also, my contract is very match-payments and bonuses oriented so it's hurting my earning capacity, so if you can get something fair in a trade I'd like an opportunity elsewhere to get games and earn some money, but I understand also if you want to hold me to my contract" can suddenly become "LOBB REQUESTS TRADE !!1!!111!!one!". If anything, it's more likely it's that's the nature of the conversation than the unlikely scenario that a player requests a trade the week immediately before he's likely to have a good 6 week run in the best 22 to prove himself to both the Dogs and other clubs, and to focus on playing his best footy.

We also have no idea of the context of Lobb's conversations anyway. A common sense "hey guys, I know I'm contracted for two years but I'm not getting a game, also, my contract is very match-payments and bonuses oriented so it's hurting my earning capacity, so if you can get something fair in a trade I'd like an opportunity elsewhere to get games and earn some money, but I understand also if you want to hold me to my contract" can suddenly become "LOBB REQUESTS TRADE !!1!!111!!one!". If anything, it's more likely it's that's the nature of the conversation than the unlikely scenario that a player requests a trade the week immediately before he's likely to have a good 6 week run in the best 22 to prove himself to both the Dogs and other clubs, and to focus on playing his best footy.
You have come to an understanding of the nature of AFL media, Grasshopper.

Having only seen a bit of VFL this year but heard a lot of good news about Croft

I can see him being that fourth forward for us next year.

As his speed separates from having Lobb in that team and he can play a lot higher up the ground
Similar to what Naughton does
My hope was he'd be a taller Nick Blakey but I'm not sure he has the foot skills for that.

My hope was he'd be a taller Nick Blakey but I'm not sure he has the foot skills for that.
Agreed, I made that comparison a little while back. After watching him for Footscray I think he has the physical traits but will need to considerably improve his ball use. The ground might open up for him when/if he’s pushed back.

Not sure why it's generally accepted Croft will be a defender. All the talk and proven in the VFL is that he's more of a raw athletic talent than a skilled, natural footballer. Those athletic types could play any position on the field, and at this stage of his career, it makes the most sense to give him opportunities in all positions.

because we need defenders (of all types actually).

because we need defenders (of all types actually).
The irony being is that there's been plenty of complains about blokes having to play forward in the VFL, suggesting that we have too many defenders on the list.

Gardner's proven capable at AFL level, is contracted to next year and is adequate enough depth.
Busslinger's shown form that he should get a game if we were more of a developing side now.
Coffield a little undersized but can be a 3rd tallest defender and forgotten about now because he's injured.
Freijah's drafted as a wing but proven to adapt to play in defence both at AFL and VFL this year and is presumably in Coffield's role without Coffield's injury as 191-2cm mark/kick type players.

All three plus Jones and Keath arguably should be on our list next year. People will write off Keath but there's no reason to think okay form in the seniors now means that he shouldn't at the very least be a depth listed player next year.

I don't see our need for defenders any more or less significant than our other positions, it's a bit silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The irony being is that there's been plenty of complains about blokes having to play forward in the VFL, suggesting that we have too many defenders on the list.

Gardner's proven capable at AFL level, is contracted to next year and is adequate enough depth.
Busslinger's shown form that he should get a game if we were more of a developing side now.
Coffield a little undersized but can be a 3rd tallest defender and forgotten about now because he's injured.
Freijah's drafted as a wing but proven to adapt to play in defence both at AFL and VFL this year and is presumably in Coffield's role without Coffield's injury as 191-2cm mark/kick type players.

All three plus Jones and Keath arguably should be on our list next year. People will write off Keath but there's no reason to think okay form in the seniors now means that he shouldn't at the very least be a depth listed player next year.

I don't see our need for defenders any more or less significant than our other positions, it's a bit silly.

Considering that the majority of our fans see Gards as manifestly and proveably inadequate, that the tom tom's are beating about Buss going back home, that based on available evidence, Coffield may well be injury-prone, and that Freijah is not a key defender or even arguably a defender at all, I'd say Stefoid might just be onto something.

Obviously, I hope all of the above stay and prove their worth, but if Croft does become a forward, with Duryea, Jones, Keath and JJ near the end, and Richards conceivably moving into the middle, we will in the very least need some more developing defensive options - both big and small, and to call such a thought silly is, well, rather silly in my eyes.

Last edited:
I’ll caveat this by saying that social media activity is no indication of the reality of a player and their buy in but I don’t recall Lobb having ever reposted anything from the club or team mates, even when it’s been a video of a debut or similar. Just don’t get the vibe he’s ever truly bought in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Probably those of us who have seen him kick for goal last year and this year.
Naughts, Marra, Croft & Bont resting forward would just about kill a goal umpire through RSI

I think if nothing else. Lobb is the most publicly pragmatic player in the game. He's clearly not wedded to any particular team and once he sees that his opportunities are beginning to dry up. He looks around for other opportunities to play the game and if that means moving clubs yet again. So be it. At 32 the clock on his career is ticking faster every day and it makes no sense for him to fritter away his time in the VFL. When there are a number of suitors out there that would willingly take him on. Who knows, it may even extend his career beyond 2026. Something that is very unlikely if he stays with us.

He is and always will be a flawed journeyman who can plug holes but never command a slot in a team stacked with tall forwards and player whose form has run the gamut from the ordinary to the good but never quite great. If in the end he stays, thats ok. If he leaves then thats ok too.

The same fans that were pulling their hair out over rucking Dunkley, Cordy, Bruce, L.Young are the same ones who now reckon recruiting Lobb was a poor idea. Apologies on behalf of the club that the club doesn’t have a Time Machine and could know that Darcy would come on this quickly.

In their defense we did have Jordan Sweet. Who is now playing well, when actually given a chance that Port are giving him. Which we did not.(and when he did a few with us, played ruck forward well. One game vs Port in 2018 springs to mind.)

Pick 8: Western Bulldogs

With two spots available, the Dogs could turn to their VFL where former Pie Trent Bianco has hit the ground running. His polish through the midfield has stood out at the lower level and his ability to play on a wing or half forward will appeal to Luke Beveridge. McLachlan has suitors in this range, and Coburg's Caleb Ernst is a powerful half forward that boasts AFL traits.

Unfortunately left the tele on after 60 Minutes and caught the opening 10 seconds of nepo baby on his show hyperventilating on Lobb as if he was reporting on Reid asking for a trade.

Hilarious. Meanwhile most fans are like.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

I didn’t even read the article…as Billy Birmingham said - “anyway, stiff sh$t”

Was good coverage,made sense at the time.Dont need him any more.

He is and always will be a hired gun - those types don’t win you flags, they make up the numbers in the waiting room.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back