Prediction Transition issues to continue

Remove this Banner Ad

I think why people are nervous is because of the previous 5 years and how we played very similar with similar flaws, the X game was just somewhat confirmation bias on our behalf I guess.
We are hoping for significant improvement and there were zero signs of any improvement in those areas even given the players available.

Hopefully the jlt with more of the best 22 out there can show some signs of improving ball movement, structure, tinkered zone placements, fwdline fuction and movement, kicking accuracy, ability of mids to spread into space.

Might explain why I reacted rather poorly to the X game concept. It was (for me) boring, but watching the Pies felt like Groundhog Day, with the notable exception of Aish (who really wasn't under that much pressure), and a special mention to the glorious young Stephenson.

But I'm not planning on running away to the Arctic Circle just yet, to avoid season 2018. Thursday night was a training run. And I've never really jumped off the Aish train, so if he continues in this vein I'll rush back to claiming him.:D

Last edited:

You lost me at Leon Davis.

He had one good season in defence and even then failed to defend when it mattered, in the GF.

Theres nothing to be assessed from AFLx. Kicked poorly on goal in the first game and won the second. But its meaningless really.

For what its worth I saw some other sides that were far worse in transition and kicking to position...just not in our pool. But that doesnt mean much either.

Solutions:
Players, players, players, to quote some random on this forum :) Having said that I don't see KPP forwards as the definitive issue. Deliver the ball decently and a forward line of Cox, Reid/Moore, Eliot and Fas has huge potential. If Blair could be miraculous grown by 8 inches, well, that would be more than fantastic.

Fix the backline: Moore might be a winner but we still need pace, disposal and decision making skills, that don't slow the play, there.

Tinker as in Loki4's post.

Put more emphasis on offensive play rather than trying to win by outworking, crowding or competitive ball focus.
My one cent ;)

Players............... if we look at what the club is doing off season, one would think they back the list right? You'd argue in the last 5 years that development (in particular - disposal) has been severely lacking and for the 1st off season in that time you'd say the club has identified that right? And seem particularly skills focused.

Now link that sentence and think of the Murray acquisition - or more importantly the type of player he is. A line breaking intercept defender with run and carry that delivers to the forwards - much like a Harry O or at least the club seems like it's looking for this sort of player.

Somehow I don't think Nathan is going to move away from the "grunt" narrative, hazard a guess he wants a dogs / hawks combo style of play. If you look at the "glimpses" from last year we managed to swarm (outnumber at the contest) then spread (have outside receivers - like a Wells for e:g) and the thing that pulled it off was correct disposal.

We have the numbers for contested possy and I50 (and no not counting the "crabbing" to draw opp defence), clean up disposal and all of a sudden we look like that dogs / hawks combo I'm guessing is Nathan's "vision"

We have still problems leading into and in our first game then we may have a problem
Like to see more of our set up first, in a meaningful game, with our best on the park before l will worry about the transition out of the back line.

Last edited:
You lost me at Leon Davis.

He had one good season in defence and even then failed to defend when it mattered, in the GF.

Theres nothing to be assessed from AFLx. Kicked poorly on goal in the first game and won the second. But its meaningless really.

For what its worth I saw some other sides that were far worse in transition and kicking to position...just not in our pool. But that doesnt mean much either.
agree mate. had leon and Swan played in the 2011 GF like they had all year would have been enough to make the difference. Both had there worst games of the year when it mattered.

agree mate. had leon and Swan played in the 2011 GF like they had all year would have been enough to make the difference. Both had there worst games of the year when it mattered.

Had Mick played Taz on Hawkins instead of a lame Reid (Quad injury) we would of went a long way to winning. Taz to Hawkins with Reid as a floater...was obvious as dogs balls to anyone by the end of the first quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back