folester41

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
LFC
Travelling to Europe for a year in January, looking at travel insurance, but some of the prices being quoted are ridiculous, what companies do people recommend and whats a good price range?

Travelling to Europe for a year in January, looking at travel insurance, but some of the prices being quoted are ridiculous, what companies do people recommend and whats a good price range?

I know, I was quoted around $1000 for insurance for a three and a half month holiday by a travel agent, like GTFO. :rolleyes:

I'm going to the States and Europe, would also like to know some good companies, dont want dodgy but you also dont want to get ripped off either.

I have always used covermore, but I have a relative at a travel agency who doesnt charge me commission (40-50%).

I have made a few claims and they are excellent to deal with.

Insurance is a must. You would not believe how much it costs to see a doctor in the US.

If you're going to America then you'll need the Super World travel insurance, or whatever it's called and that's a little more expensive.

I had an 8 month holiday to South America, North America and Europe and I used Southern Cross travel insurance and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the ones that my friends got as they got the one the travel agent recommended. The Southern Cross insurance should still cover all the necessities it just may not be to the same extent that the more expensive ones will.

WorldNomads.

Also when you are about to confirm payment, do a google search for "world nomads coupon code" (or something like that) you will find places quoting different codes, try a few and eventually one will work and give you about 7% off.

Not bad.

I usually have travel insurance covered in some way but didn't bother last month while in London/Paris.

"Danger" must be my middle name. :p
I did 12 months in Europe sans insurance. For legal reasons I cannot publically recommend this course of action ;)

The one thing you don't want to scrimp on is Travel Insurance. The only company that covers Natural Disaters is Covermore.

Check the fine print of your policy, you'll be surprised of what your NOT covered for...

The one thing you don't want to scrimp on is Travel Insurance. The only company that covers Natural Disaters is Covermore.

Check the fine print of your policy, you'll be surprised of what your NOT covered for...
Written and authorised by a travel agent/insurance company worker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm heading to Sth East Asia soon. With the recent flooding going on in the region, do you recommend Covermore, Freakie? Seeing as it covers natural disasters?

Otherwise I was going to go with WorldNomad. Seems like they have great customer service and is reasonable priced!

I'm heading to Sth East Asia soon. With the recent flooding going on in the region, do you recommend Covermore, Freakie? Seeing as it covers natural disasters?

Otherwise I was going to go with WorldNomad. Seems like they have great customer service and is reasonable priced!

As the floods have already happened I doubt any insurance company will cover you if you haven't already taken out a policy....

Travel insurance is one of things you have to have but probably won't even use. I was gone for about 14 months and was not covered for about 8 of them and had no issue.

In saying that, I meant some people who couldn't get medical attention or replace stolen goods because of their lack of insurance.

After having my phone stolen in Bali I'll definitely be getting travel insurance, it saved me big time.

I did a search of a few companies and nomads had some really bad reviews with regards to customer service, anyone had any troubles with that side of it?

Anyone have any recommendations for travel insurance for a 6-12 month holiday all over the world (ie. UK, Europe, USA)? There are so many options, and it is a very boring task sifting through all of the reviews and details, so if anyone has already done it or has good/bad experience, would be much appreciated.

After having my phone stolen in Bali I'll definitely be getting travel insurance, it saved me big time.

I did a search of a few companies and nomads had some really bad reviews with regards to customer service, anyone had any troubles with that side of it?

It was that bitch from Aami. With her local Kuta cowboy accomplice. Sue them.

Anyone have any recommendations for travel insurance for a 6-12 month holiday all over the world (ie. UK, Europe, USA)? There are so many options, and it is a very boring task sifting through all of the reviews and details, so if anyone has already done it or has good/bad experience, would be much appreciated.

In a similar boat, I have a whole year "frequent traveller" policy through Qantas (check their website.... I can't be arsed finding the exact link).

Costs a bit over $500 for a whole year. Not 100% sure if it covers US though as I don't go there.

Ps - that's a shocking nickname... too much penis reference (not that mine's any better).

I have always used covermore, but I have a relative at a travel agency who doesnt charge me commission (40-50%).

I have made a few claims and they are excellent to deal with.

Insurance is a must. You would not believe how much it costs to see a doctor in the US.
I've bought from Covermore a few times, but never made a claim.

I'm off to Phuket next month for a couple of weeks, and saw a comment somewhere saying "If you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel to Thailand". Probably true no matter where you're going.

In Michael Moore's doco Sicko I recall there being a bit where Canadian relatives of his, who lived just across the border, would take out insurance before crossing into the US ... even if they were going for just a day.

In Michael Moore's doco Sicko I recall there being a bit where Canadian relatives of his, who lived just across the border, would take out insurance before crossing into the US ... even if they were going for just a day.
Heh, never really know if that's just outrageous bull to pull in a few more OMG ONLY IN AMERICKA!!!11 type viewers.

I've got covermore for Thailand for under $100.

If you're wondering how much Covermore is for a year, just go on their site and put in any random date. A year will set you back about $650 without any extras. It'll cost about $950 ~ $1,000 with extras such as motorcycle, skiing, $15,000 extra cover for travel costs (accommodation, travel etc.) without additional item cover costs for your $5,000 camera, $2,000 laptop etc. (cover that s**t before you leave on a separate insurance policy).

You would be mad to travel without travel insurance.

Make sure you shop around, compare the fine print etc.

Beware of credit card travel insurance as it may be somewhat limited or have extra conditions attached.

I always go with Allianz as they are the cheapest ones who cover my pre excisting medical condition and still "allow" me to drink a beer or two as long as the beer or two don't cause a claim, something most don't. So ask the question when getting a quote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back