Past Travis Johnstone (2008-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Travis Johnstone

Anyone notice that one-handed (at pull pace) pick-up and kick into the the forward 50? Can't remember who it was but he hit the target lace out. Reckon Trav had an absolute blinder, great to have him back.

Anyone notice that one-handed (at pull pace) pick-up and kick into the the forward 50? Can't remember who it was but he hit the target lace out. Reckon Trav had an absolute blinder, great to have him back.

The commentators were saying that that was one of the reasons why Johnstone was a No.1 pick in the draft. His ability to get those balls and hit up a target with precision. Great game by him!

I've been pretty impressed with TJ for most of the year, but tonight I thought he was jaw-droppingly good. He was simply everywhere - from the get go. Possibly the only lion who showed up to play.

I'd love to know how many meters he gained tonight. The number of times I would think to myself "bloody hell TJ, why are you holding on to it when there's a guy clear on the lead 30m right in front of you?!"

Then 2 seconds later he'd kick over the initial lead's head, hitting the next lead on the chest an extra 30m further up field. He sure makes his possessions count. :thumbsu:

Well that seems to be the end of that target.

So that is one down who is next....Let's see..Ah yes 4 minus 1 = 3.

:rolleyes: Credit where credit's due is my motto and there is no doubt that he has played two good games on the trot. What would Aristotle say? Do two swallows make a summer?

If number 4 starts playing lazy unaccountable football again, then I'll call him on it and that's fair enough. But as I have said, I'd much rather be giving the bloke a rap than a bake.

As for number 3, he was ordinary last year, no good this year and I doubt he ever will be more than a solid reserve grade footballer at best. How he is getting a game is completely beyond me and I know I'm not alone on that score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again i askt he question...why was this man dropped ! TJ has become the form player of our team. Is showing plenty of stuff that many others in our team are lacking...hard work and determination.

Well it seems more was expected and after reinstatement...more has been delivered.

:rolleyes: Credit where credit's due is my motto and there is no doubt that he has played two good games on the trot. What would Aristotle say? Do two swallows make a summer?

I'm just curious how much credit a brilliant game is worth to you?

One shirked contest and is he on the (s)hit list again?

Link

Brown said he was pleased with Johnstone's attitude over the last month.

"He's done well. He's found a real niche back there and he's had a couple of good weeks," he said.

"He's come in and grabbed his opportunity.

"He's pretty crucial to getting the ball moving off half back. Josh Drummond has been a big loss and now probably Ash McGrath.

"He's going to be critical to our ball movement and setting up play for us."

Travis' missus is expecting a baby and interestingly its coincided with this supposed attitude changed, maybe he's thriving with the extra responsibility and the new direction in his life.

I'm just curious how much credit a brilliant game is worth to you?

One shirked contest and is he on the (s)hit list again?

Nah, not on the basis of one shirked contest, not even one or two dud games, provided he is having a crack. Let's be real about this, even champions have their colours lowered by an opponent or opponents who simply outplay them on the day. The issue with number 4 over the last two seasons has been he has put in too many games where he has played lazy and unaccountable football. This is why he has been dropped multiple times by Voss.

Now there are some who suggest that people, perhaps Voss included may be expecting too much of him, but my point would be that they have a right to.

As a mature age recruit with 160 senior games under his belt when he was drafted, Brisbane has a right to expect that number 4 would be a rolemodel for the younger players on our developing list. It is reasonable to expect that on the field he should be relied upon to do the hard running, chasing and tackling. Sadly, he has left that to others on too many occasions. He has been reasonable going forward, but demonstrated far less inclination to do the hard work going the other way. Too often over the last two years he has just jogged about picking up easy touches and going missing for extended periods in games. I say again, that is why he has been dropped.

The fact that he has played two excellent games over the last two weeks is great. Let's hope this can continue, because we really NEED number 4 to be playing well.

I reiterate, I would rather be giving number 4 a rap than a bake.

You have been harsh on #4 lately 3KZ, but your not holding it against him now when he is playing well, you admit you have liked his performances and you would rather be giving him a rap, so that cool, won't hold that against you.

His problem was doing the hard stuff, and the team stuff, but i think he has been doing it for the majority of the year. He has played a lot more defensively this season than last year. I think with the injuries to our backline, TJ has become nearly the most important player in our team. We are really going to need his experience and leadership now.

He is always going to frustrate sometimes trying to spear the impossible kick, which in the backline can hurt, but more often than not he saves more goals than he is responsible for with his rebounding out of defense.

Vossy's View: on TJ

“I get asked a lot about Travis in this media forum and in the last couple of weeks, he’s really taken the game on.”

“He played a fantastic game for us last Saturday night and that needs to be duly acknowledged. He’s met those standards we have set and he’s proved very valuable for us.”

“We rated him as our best player on the field last weekend by a fair margin. To see him being able to do that is a good lesson for anyone who’s trying to bounce back from some disappointment.”

“I asked Travis how he likes to be coached and one of the things he’s always said is that he likes the ‘foot on the throat’ mentality. That’s what he feels works best for him - he likes to have that constant prod and seems to respond well to that.”

“We’ve all seen how good he is with the ball in his hands.”

May go a *little* way to explaining why he was dropped.

Glad to see TJ tearing it up again. He has always been my favorite player to watch. When he is on, HE IS ON! Hopefully for your sake he isnt dropped again this season, as you need him firing if you're going to figure prominently in finals, especially since you have a growing injury list unfortunately :(
Anyhoo best of luck to him and to your team for the remainder of the season. Always got a soft spot and a deep respect for the Lions.

Travis' missus is expecting a baby

baby-1.jpg

Johnstone gets season best

Travis Johnstone played one of his finest ever matches with the Lions last Saturday night in the team’s shattering one-point loss to North Melbourne.

Johnstone was clearly best afield for the Lions playing a role in defence that he is becoming greatly accustomed to this season.

He collected a game-high 37 disposals, took 16 marks and laid three tackles to record a season-high 162 Dream Team Points.

Not one of Number 4's best games last night, but he is always found out by teams who run hard and quick. As many have said, number 4 is good going forward, not so good going the other way.

Never mind, we know he can do better, so here's hoping. Number 4 should be safe in the senior side as long as Sam Sheldon is getting a game, so let's hope he has a good break and comes back in the form we saw against Collingwood and North Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back