Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Take a breth and count backwards from 100. We have been here before, with the umpire expecting the player to flail around like they have been hit by a taser, to prove they are trying to get rid of the ball. just like this time last year the club was sending video of Cripps being monstered off the ball. Just another rule of the week/ month. The older I get the more I recognise that thingS just go around and around in circles. o_O
Nope.

This rule is different because it completely turns the sport on its head. For 150 years, we have celebrated the person who goes and gets the ball and had the rules in place to protect them. This renders a person better off to be second to the ball.

No longer the sport for trailblazers and swashbucklers; now, the sport for the serpentine and the calculated.

Cripps received 7 free kicks. Funnily enough, the more ball he got, the worse we got as he tried to do too much with it. When Cripps is held, our other mids have been given more space but it didn't pan out that way in this game.

Nope.

This rule is different because it completely turns the sport on its head. For 150 years, we have celebrated the person who goes and gets the ball and had the rules in place to protect them. This renders a person better off to be second to the ball.

No longer the sport for trailblazers and swashbucklers; now, the sport for the serpentine and the calculated.
My point was that, they always over compensate when they change an interpretation. This is not the first time they have done this. It may take a little while, but the brains trust at the AFL will eventually work out how ridiculous it is and ease up or they will move on to the next rule of the week and forget about this one.

My point was that, they always over compensate when they change an interpretation. This is not the first time they have done this. It may take a little while, but the brains trust at the AFL will eventually work out how ridiculous it is and ease up or they will move on to the next rule of the week and forget about this one.
Hands in the back changed how you could behave in a marking contest, but if you had good mitts you'd still take more than you dropped. No third man up and nominating brought tap ruckmen back into vogue. 666 hasn't affected the game at all.

This is different. I cannot say it otherwise.

Made absolutely zero difference to the game or our performance, but that free kick awarded to Breust in the last quarter I think against Willo was incredibly bad. Obviously it was in junk time at that stage with no bearing on the result so it won’t get the scrutiny it deserves.

Made absolutely zero difference to the game or our performance, but that free kick awarded to Breust in the last quarter I think against Willo was incredibly bad. Obviously it was in junk time at that stage with no bearing on the result so it won’t get the scrutiny it deserves.
Still impacts on percentage over the year. Add them all together over the season and it can be the difference between playing finals/double chance/home finals and not.

So even when the umpires give us frees they still stuff our game?

The week before when Cripps wasn't getting frees, Setterfield was cleaning up. This week they stop the contest for free kicks to Cripps and Setters has a dirty day. To top it off, Cripps inexplicably wasted his possessions.

Maybe just an anomaly, but Cripps getting the ball with time to think hurt us more than it helped.

The week before when Cripps wasn't getting frees, Setterfield was cleaning up. This week they stop the contest for free kicks to Cripps and Setters has a dirty day. To top it off, Cripps inexplicably wasted his possessions.

Maybe just an anomaly, but Cripps getting the ball with time to think hurt us more than it helped.
There‘s the hidden gem in all of this.

The flow on effect.

The continued want of the AFL to manipulate the look and feel of the game as it moves through its natural evolutions.

If the game evolves in a manner that impacts what the AFL believe is their “product” they will bring in rule changes / interpretations in an attempt wrest back control.

It started in the earlier 2000s when Demetriou wasn’t happy when Roos created the “stoppage” game.

From this point the AFL took it upon themselves to protect their brand by changing the way the game was interpreted from an umpiring perspective to meet this obejective.

All it needed to do was wait for Geelong to come along and create the natural disruptor to the stoppage game plan. A natural evolution so to speak.

But it didn’t & it doesn’t.

For every change there is a counter reaction, a flow on effect....

The third man up in the ruck contest is a prime example, its completely changed the flow of the game. It has created congestion, stoppages, and by the very nature of having to nominate “two” rucks slowed the game down.

This flow on effect, the creation of congestion around the stoppage is now trying to be counterbalanced by the evolution of the holding the ball rule / interpretation.

The flow on effect for the umpires is that it makes the game more difficult to “umpire”, some would say, virtually impossible.

The single biggest issue with all this?

The AFL have tasked the umpires with responsibility of something that should sit outside of their remit.

This is to umpire the game in a manner that promotes the “current“ AFL brand. To manage the look and feel of the game through evolving interpretations of the “rules and laws of the game” and apply them in a match day situation.

A job description where it is impossible for anyone to meet the KPIs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the Cats v Eagles game last night, there was a free kick that was brought back because, and I quote "you can't block the man on the mark". That is, another player from the team awarded the free kick impeded the ability of the man on the mark to chase the player awarded the free kick.

Now, on Friday night, I could only watch the first 1/4 and half (thankfully as it turned out). But there were 2 distinct instances of Hawthorn players doing this, the first was on the 50m arc, that allowed them to kick one of their early goals; another was in general play. I assume that having gotten away with it early, they probably did it later as well.

Hawthorn were the originators of this tactic a few years ago, Collingwood did it a fair bit too, and I remember the AFL introducing the rule to stamp it out.

So, is this as obvious a case of incompetence as we've seen? It's not a case of being "unsighted", there's no "congestion" involved, you can't blame "thngs happen too quickly". The umpires in our game, all three of them, just plain forgot the f*****g rule.

I reckon the umpiring "powers that be", having witnessed those errors in our game, sent a memo to all the umpires reminding them that this was not allowed. Lo and behold, come the Cats game the next night, the umpires are enforcing it again.

When umpires get such a simple thing so wrong, you have to wonder about the quality of the group. Just another reason they should be full-time. The rules of the game, and analysis/review of their own performances should be the only thing these folks have to concentrate on week-to-week, just like players.

I think I’ve just about read everything now with the last few posts.
The facts are the Carlton v Hawthorn game was the best umpired game this year.
It obviously had everything to do with us finally raising some valid factual points that needed addressing.
Our off field leadership need to learn from this and not allow us to be dictated too again.
Our on field leadership group need to get their @#$& heads out of the sky and play honest football.

I think I’ve just about read everything now with the last few posts.
The facts are the Carlton v Hawthorn game was the best umpired game this year.
It obviously had everything to do with us finally raising some valid factual points that needed addressing.
Our off field leadership need to learn from this and not allow us to be dictated too again.
Our on field leadership group need to get their @#$& heads out of the sky and play honest football.
Despite the fact that this post doesn't quote me directly, given that I'm responsible for the "last few posts". Let me just ask you where I said anything about the Carlton v Hawthorn game being decided by anything other than the players?

This knee-jerk reaction from people in this thread assuming that every post that is critical of the umpires MUST be an example of football fans bleating that the unmpires cost them the game, is tedious in the extreme. And it only servers to prevent people who are genuinely intersted in discussing umpiring and ways to improve it, from doing so.

Despite the fact that this post doesn't quote me directly, given that I'm responsible for the "last few posts". Let me just ask you where I said anything about the Carlton v Hawthorn game being decided by anything other than the players?

This knee-jerk reaction from people in this thread assuming that every post that is critical of the umpires MUST be an example of football fans bleating that the unmpires cost them the game, is tedious in the extreme. And it only servers to prevent people who are genuinely intersted in discussing umpiring and ways to improve it, from doing so.

Nothing to do with you OBF. Sorry for that.

how often does % play a factor in ladder position at the end of the year? and how often is it as infinitesimal as the amounts you are talking? fmd........
Yep, dozens of decisions resulting in scores makes no difference, got it.

Yep, dozens of decisions resulting in scores makes no difference, got it.
well you're the one suggesting a potential premiership is affected by it - please show me the team that should never have won the flag because umpire.......

images

But I firmly believe we have far more problems with the constant rule changes (esp the goal review system) than the actual umpiring itself.

If umpires are being told from every week to pay more or less a certain amount of free kicks, especially for certain indiscretions on field, is that really the umpires fault or more the directive of an atypical control freak who thrives in middle management bureaucracy like Steve Hocking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back