Unprofessional

Remove this Banner Ad

Carnthe

Premiership Player
May 31, 2006
Osaka
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm getting sick of umpires talking to players in a very unprofessional manner. The umpire that told Hawkins yesterday to stop being "cute" for example. Earlier in the year one of them told Lindsay Thomas to get up after Shuey elbowed him and was consequently suspended. Players are harshly penalized for demonstrative behavior which can sometimes be as minor as requesting an umpire watch the replay.

Now umpires make howling mistakes as well like whoever just called Brad Eberts shot on goal touched in the Rich v Port game here. Now players getting stuck into umpires is a bad look and should be penalized but it goes the other way too. Umpires say some really incendiary things sometimes and really should just shut up and focus on their job. I hope the leagu addresses this sort of thing as it really adds fuel to the argument of a lack of accountability for the officiators.

Hayden Ballantyne agrees with this thread. Umpires treat him like a child "Hayden let it go, let it go" "Walk away Hayden" "Hayden stop that"

One day when Freo are up by 60 I hope Ballantyne turns around and says "* off, if I do anything illegal then talk to me"

Ive brought it up as its symptomatic of the arrogance of the officiators in general. Why are they s**t talking players? Should only be focused on their job.

i thought the umpire yelling at Jordan Bannister "Jordan go to the goal square!" at 3/4 time was a bit unprofessional to tell another ump what to do

Hayden Ballantyne agrees with this thread. Umpires treat him like a child "Hayden let it go, let it go" "Walk away Hayden" "Hayden stop that"

Are you serious? There is nothing ******* wrong with them saying that at all. How dare they try and get grown men to stop fighting like children with harsh words such as "let it go" "walk away" and "stop that".

Are you serious? There is nothing ******* wrong with them saying that at all. How dare they try and get grown men to stop fighting like children with harsh words such as "let it go" "walk away" and "stop that".

Yeah, because I was totally whinging about the "harsh words".

More to do with the fact that umpires have no business targetting one player (and you watch any Freo game, lots of niggle going on but they will go straight to Ballantyne) and telling him what he should be doing. How about they umpire the game, rather than supervise it. There's a difference.

So yeah, I am serious.

Yeah, because I was totally whinging about the "harsh words".

Sorry, you're whinging about the umpires.. My mistake

More to do with the fact that umpires have no business targetting one player (and you watch any Freo game, lots of niggle going on but they will go straight to Ballantyne)

Maybe it's because he's the one starting most of the niggle? Have you watched the f*cker play? How many players are usually involved in the niggle at the time? When a handful of players are carrying on it's not that uncommon to single out the guy who is known for instigating it.. If he didn't want the umps on his back he shouldn't have built up the reputation.

How about they umpire the game, rather than supervise it. There's a difference.

How about the players get on with playing football instead of acting like wrestlers? Why not have a go at them for not getting on with the game.

So yeah, I am serious.

:oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires should pay a free kick, or not, but otherwise shut the hell up. It's not their role to tell players not to infringe - it's their role to pay free kicks when they do infringe.

IMHO warning players about behaviour is actually helping that player to avoid free kicks, which is not what umpires are for.

Umpires should pay a free kick, or not, but otherwise shut the hell up. It's not their role to tell players not to infringe - it's their role to pay free kicks when they do infringe.

IMHO warning players about behaviour is actually helping that player to avoid free kicks, which is not what umpires are for.

100% correct.

Agreed. The umps have a tough job and I think this whole rapport building and explaining / coaching the players should not be their responsibility. In a counterproductive way I think it makes their job harder - it is the player's job to know the rules, the umpire shouldn't have to say 'get it out' etc. Put that responsibility back on the player. Let the umpire just pay the frees. Occasionally explaining an unusual free is okay - but in as few words as possible. "In my opinion your arm was over his shoulder" type of thing.

Umpires should just umpire, and blow the whilstle and pay free kicks etc. They are not a "crime prevetion unit" to educate players on how they are going to pay free kicks. Players are professional and presumably know how to play the game. When they break the rules, blow the whistle and pay a free.

The only time they should talk to a player is when they are instructing them to stop actions against the rules. A fight for example.

It is akin to a teacher who is there to teach, but constantly berates the student with the bad reputation. You know you all had a teacher like that and hated him or her. Because he or she was not doing the job they were supposed to. Umpires are paid to umpire not to smart mouth players and pretend they are funny by being sacastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back