Upper Murray FL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Would hate to see UMFL fold,I played in Benalla District FL in its last year and all them clubs have battled hard since joining Ovens & King so it will be same if you join TDFL.
Maybe turn Ressies into 9aside comp just to keep it alive.
A lot of blokes play Upper Murray as they dont have time and commitment for training or they getting a bit old.
As for numbers dropping off in ressies comp, Clubs need to start looking after ALL their players not just seniors, half a tank of fuel,pay get in gate and buy a few raffle tickets a bloke is down 50 bucks and his not even on the field yet,Plus feed & couple froffies its a little expensive every week.

FIGHT HARD TO KEEP UMFL ALIVE

To see Peter Shaw in the paper playing ones for Corryong is a real kick in the guts for the league,
I think it’s the final year for the UMFL it’s really embarrassing to the outside eye,
Good on him for having a go Though,
With clearances closing soon word on the street there’s a few late moves,
Daniel Bradshaw to Federal
Voigt to Cudgewa
couple from Thurgoona to bullioh

I think the league is done sadly, more than money is needed for it to survive. Once the juniors died what hope can the club’s have to field 2nds teams, half of tallangatta’s juniors are upper Murray kids who’ll filter up to their seniors in a better competition.

That’s right. 9 UM players played in Tallangattas thirds flag last year and even more there this year. Just goes to show that a combined UM side would be competitive across all grades. Does anyone know why NEB football don’t want to see it?

I think the league is done sadly, more than money is needed for it to survive. Once the juniors died what hope can the club’s have to field 2nds teams, half of tallangatta’s juniors are upper Murray kids who’ll filter up to their seniors in a better competition.

Surely it would be better having just a single grade senior comp and drop the reserves. The clubs only need to find 25 -30 players, it’s just finding 50 for two grades that’s the problem. Works well in Omeo and Northern Riverina comps.

Last edited:
The Central West Football League did it for a few years to survive. Now they have gone back to having ressies as well. Good option, once UMFL is gone, it won’t come back.

Surely it would be better having just a single grade senior comp and drop the reserves. The clubs only need to find 25 -30 players, it’s just finding 50 for two grades that’s the problem. Works well in Omeo and Northern Riverina comps.
The lack of numbers for senior football is only half the problem skippy,
It’s the lack of junior numbers which is forcing the league to struggle,
Juniors are the future not reserve grade
#Upper Murray Eagles

In all honesty, planning for a change would need to begin within the next month. If you identified 45 players between Cudgewa/Walwa and Corryong/Federals then a plan for two combined sides would be achievable. If not one combined Upper Murray Team in the (TDFL) next season. The biggest question is how high is the percentage of players from Albury/Wodonga currently playing in the Upper Murray clubs? And how many would continue to bypass other Tallangatta, Hume and Ovens and Murray Clubs to travel to Cudgewa, Bullioh, Corryong.

What’s people’s thoughts on the article in the paper...?

My opinion is it doesn’t help the juniors and you will need more netball courts in game day how’s that gunna help?
Get it over and done with and merge for the juniors and there will be netballere left without a game but start a Sunday comp or something along those lines

The people running the shows should be ashamed stubborn pricks

#uppermurrayeagles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s people’s thoughts on the article in the paper...?

My opinion is it doesn’t help the juniors and you will need more netball courts in game day how’s that gunna help?
Get it over and done with and merge for the juniors and there will be netballere left without a game but start a Sunday comp or something along those lines

The people running the shows should be ashamed stubborn pricks

#uppermurrayeagles

The bloke running NEB has his head in the sand. Merge feds, cudge and Corryong. Walwa is done anyway. Play in the Tallangatta comp. The side will be competitive. People have a knock on the standard in comparison with the Tallangatta league clubs but that is considering the UM clubs as stand alone clubs, not a merged entity. In the states west there was a merger of three clubs that became the Southern Mallee Giants, they entered the Wimmerra league which was a much stronger league than the three clubs were previously in and the SM Giants currently sit 4th on the ladder. Blokes like the UM, they come up for a fish or a hunt and combine it with a game of footy. There would be no issue in getting players to travel past current TDFL clubs to play for a merged UM club.

A single entity team from the UM would be competitive in the TDFL. Pushing the rivalries aside and merging is a much better alternative to no rivalries at all.

There’s no doubt the kids who are currently seeking more opportunities or a better standard in the TDFL would more than likely prefer to support an UM United team rather than play for a team such as Tallangatta that really has no meaning to them apart from a game in the TDFL.

This would generate a lot of excitement around the area take a lot of pressure off the volunteers and families tirelessly trying to keep the individual club alive. Imagine if that amount of work and energy was shifted to one team! Attracting players won’t be an issue and D grade overweight players in there late 30’s won’t be demanding way more $ than they are worth purely because the league is weak and struggling.

And as for Bullioh, well they can fend for themselves. As they have clearly been trying to do for a while now. Looked forward to seeing an UM team roll them by 10 goals...

Any news doing the rounds about what’s happening with the league next year? Bullioh will leave at seasons end and Walwa might fold surely a 4 team league isn’t feasible.

Any news doing the rounds about what’s happening with the league next year? Bullioh will leave at seasons end and Walwa might fold surely a 4 team league isn’t feasible.
From what I’m hearing there are moves happening behind the scenes JG. Corryong federal and walwa are pushing for a single team for the tdfl. Cudgewa would prefer to keep things as they are as would tumba. And bullioh I’ve heard they want to get in on the merged “upper Murray” team but I’ve also heard they still want to test the waters in the tdfl as a single entity. As I said this is all just what I’m hearing around town. One things for sure the upper Murray football league will no longer be as we know it. What are you hearing and what are your thoughts?

It's really positive to hear the conversations are starting at UM football clubs for the future. I feel we should commend the clubs for looking into these options as we don't want to lose football in our towns forever. UM still has a place in the hearts of so many local people it would be a shame to lose it now. The community has fought back from so much to lose the UM now would be a disaster. As for the posts i have followed over the last weeks, it would be tough for clubs to identify a list for 2020 when teams chop and change so often. Could all four teams fill a roster ready for 2020 if it was to start tomorrow? How confident would we as supporters be that our club could create a 25+ man list to play.
Border Walwa have played with 14-15 players for the majority of the year and looking at results it seems most clubs have resorted to playing less than the 20 on ground required to field a team due to injuries and unavailability.
Junior football for a lot of clubs in the UM are in dire straits and the without u/11's, 14's or 16s from our towns the UM is in a compromising position going into the future. We can not just find junior footballers and unfortunately this is the reality for a number of clubs in North East Victoria and Southern NSW. If we as a league/club can not create a sustainable junior competition for young people to play/learn in then our senior/reserve grade competition will suffer.
This does not bode well and goes a lot further than just the football field the economic viability of towns could be at stake with football/netball being at the forefront of community programs, hopefully in the future of the league, we can look into the options outlined by AFL NEB, and make the best possible decision for all the teams/clubs/supporters/volunteers involved in these towns.
If not we will be looking at other avenues for our next generation to continue to play football and netball within the Upper Murray Regions of Victoria.

It's really positive to hear the conversations are starting at UM football clubs for the future. I feel we should commend the clubs for looking into these options as we don't want to lose football in our towns forever. UM still has a place in the hearts of so many local people it would be a shame to lose it now. The community has fought back from so much to lose the UM now would be a disaster. As for the posts i have followed over the last weeks, it would be tough for clubs to identify a list for 2020 when teams chop and change so often. Could all four teams fill a roster ready for 2020 if it was to start tomorrow? How confident would we as supporters be that our club could create a 25+ man list to play.
Border Walwa have played with 14-15 players for the majority of the year and looking at results it seems most clubs have resorted to playing less than the 20 on ground required to field a team due to injuries and unavailability.
Junior football for a lot of clubs in the UM are in dire straits and the without u/11's, 14's or 16s from our towns the UM is in a compromising position going into the future. We can not just find junior footballers and unfortunately this is the reality for a number of clubs in North East Victoria and Southern NSW. If we as a league/club can not create a sustainable junior competition for young people to play/learn in then our senior/reserve grade competition will suffer.
This does not bode well and goes a lot further than just the football field the economic viability of towns could be at stake with football/netball being at the forefront of community programs, hopefully in the future of the league, we can look into the options outlined by AFL NEB, and make the best possible decision for all the teams/clubs/supporters/volunteers involved in these towns.
If not we will be looking at other avenues for our next generation to continue to play football and netball within the Upper Murray Regions of Victoria.
Pro or anti merger Bidge?

I guess i would say i am conflicted on both. I just hope whatever the result is in 2020, we still have a football side/ football/Netball in towns throughout the UM. It would be awful for the locals to not have the opportunity to support their local team/a local team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back