Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone been to the Statue of Liberty?

Is it as slow and boring and heaps of security checks as they say?

Not sure if going will be a waste of time. Instead just going to get a ferry ride around it.
Went about 20 years ago as a kid. It's probably changed now, but at the time we had the option to go up the stairs to the crown, or take an elevator to the top of the pedestal. Given the crown had a 3-4 hour wait, it was a no-brainer.

The Jane is a great historic hotel on the edge of a great area.

Donstuie - i assume you have done your research on this property. The cabin rooms are barely big enough to swing a cat and have shared facilities but at $99 a night what can you expect. The property is on the corner of jane and west side highway - although not exactly on the corner as jane winds around past it again - confused ??? check google earth it shows what i mean. Anywya rooms facing west side highway might have some traffic noise to contend with.

But the good news is that it is sanwiched between the west village and meatpacking districts and therefore close to everything in those areas - it's 10 min walk to chelsea market and 5 mins to high line. probably 20 mins walk to greenwich village.

The hotel was where the surviving crew of the Titanic stayed on there return to New York City - the pier it was supposed to dock at is still there and you can still ( barely) make out the white star line cruise signage on the entrance to the pier - 15 April is the 100th anniversary of the day she went down.

Its a great area - go to the corner bistro for what some say are the best burgers in NY and beenys burritos on Greenwich Ave (cnr Jane) for good cheap mexican and a frozen margarita's with an upturned corona for $7.50.

damn food is cheap in teh usa - just checked their menu - they sell bottled water for 1.50 , not like the rip off 5 bucks we pay here.
Cheers for the info :thumbsu:

I did look at a few different options for NY (even had a couple of airbnb bookings fall through...only in NY for some reason did this happen), and in the end decided on The Jane. All I wanted was a comfy bed, wifi, tv and well located. Seemed the natural choice based on the feedback. Shared facilities don't bother me, as long as they're in reasonable condition, and bedbugs are rife everywhere in NY, so can't do much about that (except sleep with some Mortein next to my bed). Really looking forward to it.

Any one flown with Jet Blue ?

Booked a flight with them from LA to NYC $235 one way . They were the cheapest and had the best schedule . Online reviews seem positive , just wondering if anyone here has a first hand experience .

Any one flown with Jet Blue ?

Booked a flight with them from LA to NYC $235 one way . They were the cheapest and had the best schedule . Online reviews seem positive , just wondering if anyone here has a first hand experience .
Yeah, went from New York to Boston connecting to Las Vegas with Jet Blue. Best of the US domestic airlines by many accounts. Smooth trip, only one that had some in flight entertainment and a free drink and snack of some sort.

Okay so heading to the States for a holiday. Basically I am going at the end of July and have about 25 days before I need to be in Orlando and New York.

Flying into San Francisco spend a few night there. I was thinking LA then Vegas (with a Grand Canyon tour). Where else do you recommend? Are internal flights the go? How long should I spend in each city?

Cheers.

What do you want?

Age, party or sights etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Bit of everything I guess; do want to see some sights. Was planning on staying at backpackers and I am a student so looking at that rough age group. Having said that I am open to more historical and natural sights which is something I think I would enjoy as well.

Well I'm going around the same days, same times and I'm after mainly part but sights too and I'm heading to:
LA
Vegas
San Fran
Austin
New Orleans
Miami
New York

Okay so heading to the States for a holiday. Basically I am going at the end of July and have about 25 days before I need to be in Orlando and New York.

Flying into San Francisco spend a few night there. I was thinking LA then Vegas (with a Grand Canyon tour). Where else do you recommend? Are internal flights the go? How long should I spend in each city?

Cheers.

Just looking roughly at cities between Vegas and Orlando, I'd suggest definitely stopping into New Orleans for a few days. Lovely city and great for a night out. Austin gets rave reviews as well, I haven't been personally, but I'd definitely go when I get the chance.

Miami might be a good stop for relaxing by the beach, but unless you want beach time or shopping, steer clear. Miami partying is *ber expensive and over rated in my experience.

Memphis is another place to look into if you like a bit of music history. If not then don't bother.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually writing this sitting in ala moana shopping mall in Honolulu. Have had a great time . Couldnt bring myself to drive on the other side of the road. Public transport has been very good. As for what I suggest try to get an understanding on tipping. I didn't and it done my head in. also be prepared to watch what u eat, everything is full of sugar including the bread. I lost 9kgs before I went. I am sure in 2 weeks I have put a couple back on. Hawaii is full of fat Americans eating soo much, a real eye opener.

:D EXCITED!!!!!! :D

Leaving tomorrow for a month :thumbsu:

8 nights in Vegas.
8 nights in NYC.
4 nights in San Fran.
Finish off in LA.

OMG been a long time coming!!!

Well I am back... Went pretty quick! Was awesome though.

We stayed in times square in NYC and just walking out of the hotel out into mayhem and massive buildings was eye opening and amazing!!

People everywhere til all hours of the night.

"NIGHT CLUBS, COMEDY SHOWS!!! Hey guys come to a COMEDY SHOOOOOW!" hahaha get used to hearing that :p

New York was fricken freezing - we got in and it was -2c and yeah wasnt ready for that hahha

As soon as we got off the plane in NY the shuttle bus driver got in a fight with one of the airport security guys coz he wouldnt move his van - was funny and super racist haha (black guy v Indian guy) the black guy :eek:put his fist through our bus side mirror and was like "suck my d*ck" we were like "ah only in America"

Vegas was brilliant - were there for 8 days but still didnt get everything we wanted to do done so thats another trip for down the track.... Free drinks while gambling was awesome, carrying a beer down the road at 10am was cool - but yeah the food everywhere in US is full of sugar and corn syrup - even the toast tasted sweet - but you get used to it...

Every single place we stayed had a Starbucks in the lobby haha never drank so many coffees ;D

Like someone else said I probably put on a little weight but not that much as we walked everywhere.

San Fran was pretty cool too - only had a couple of days there and it smashed down with rain the whole time but it added to the atmosphere - especially at Alcaltraz - the wind howling through the cells was pretty eerie....

LA is pretty crazy - freeways everywhere - would lvoe to have more time there as we only had 3 days - I want to go to Knotts Berry Farm and 6 flags parks!

Anyway good to be home and looks like the rain followed us from LA to Adelaide haha Now time to save up and organise another trip down the track coz need to have something to look forward to.

what are you planning to do over there? a hamstring?

haha I took extra time off coz once Im back I have 2 dentist appointments and just wanna chill out - before I went I hardly had a day off leading up to the trip.

knotts berry and especially six flags magic mountain rule.

im spending a few days in la just to go to them again.

also going to carrowinds (charlotte), busch gardens (orlando) and six flags great adventure (new jersey).

:heart:thrill rides

knotts berry and especially six flags magic mountain rule.

im spending a few days in la just to go to them again.

also going to carrowinds (charlotte), busch gardens (orlando) and six flags great adventure (new jersey).

:heart:thrill rides

Ah man that sounds awesome!!! :D

anyone got any recommendations for a car rental mob in the us?

We used Dollar rental.

Car was ok, price was reasonable but unlike Australia, they don't upgrade for free.

Process was very quick, transfers to and from airport was very quick and easy and customer service was excellent.

Will use them again.

http://www.traveljigsaw.com.au/

I used this site. Every time we had an Alamo car which we had no troubles with at all. All insurances are included on that site which is really nice to know. The only extras you'll pay is one way fees.

Going to the USA from 1st July to 26th sept coming back via melbourne to hopefully see the Pies in a GF:D

My sister lives 2 hours out of St Louis Missouri in a little town called St Roberts so will be basing myself out of there. My very tentative draft programme

3 nights in Chicago going to a cubs game/MJ's steakhouse/????
3 Nights in washington - going to veterans wall/memorials/???
3 nights in NY - Rockefellar center,statue,ground zero
9 nights in Vegas
2 nights in NO- party/????
Day trip to Memphis- graceland
Day trip to the field of dreams baseball field in Iowa
Am staying in St louis over the 4th July weekend ,going to a Cards game and staying at The Hilton overlooking the arch
A week in Texas going to San Antonio and Dallas- cowboys game
3 nights in LA to end the holiday

Been reading this fantastic thread which has some excellent advice. I have a lot of holes in my calendar at the moment. If any one has any tips for must see/do things please dont hesitate to list them. Im after things to do especially in places like chicago,NO,texas or anywhere in the midwest region I will have a car so travel is not a problem Missouri is a good central locality apparently and my programme is very flexiable

was thinking of going to Miami but apart from the beaches is there much else to do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back