Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm doing Hartford, Connecticut for college football (Boise State @ Connectcut), so I'll have 5 days before it in the N/E and 3 after.
And I don't really want to zigzag across the North East. So if I lose days from Boston, it'll result in zigzagging.
You need more than 2 days in Vegas.

Wel, I would take a day away from your Boston and add it to Vegas. 2 days in Vegas isn't enough, you need 4 at a minimum.

What are people's opinions on Vegas vs New Orleans? I had an epic guys trip planned for Vegas next but we are now seriously considering changing it to New Orleans
Vegas wins hands down! Not even worth thinking about.

What are people's opinions on Vegas vs New Orleans? I had an epic guys trip planned for Vegas next but we are now seriously considering changing it to New Orleans
Just did both a month or so ago on a boys trip (mancation)
NO is pretty full on , Bourbon street is pretty sleazy and can be quite dodgy . Quite a few prostitutes and pick pockets roam up and down the street . We all got pick pocketed at some stage during our 3 days there . Having said that just have your wits about you and you'll enjoy the place . Plenty of bars and night clubs to keep you busy . We actually enjoyed Frenchman St more than bourbon st . Real Jazz and Blues clubs , free entry to all of them and you could take your drinks between them . The French Quarter is a great place to just wander around and take in it's atmosphere and architecture .
Vegas is Vegas . Just simply , its awesome . So much to see and do , even if you dont gamble .
I recommend the bikini bull riding at Gilly's saloon at Treasure Island on a sunday night .
Personally if i had to choose between one or the other it would be Vegas all day.

It's not even really cold yet. Where are you staying? I went up to the top of the Empire State when it was about three degrees. Not the smartest thing I've ever done.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Spending Christmas in NYC this year. Just how cold is it? Likelihood of snow??

Its cold. I was there last year and would usually wear a t shirt, jumper then a big thick jacket over the top plus a beanie. The wind can kill just about. We had a little bit of snow, nothing major though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My dates are...

NYC Dec 18-26
LA Dec 26-31
Vegas Dec 31-Jan 4
Honolulu Jan 4-10

Sweet.

We did LA, Vegas and Honolulu last year.

This year we are doing New York (25th to the 3rd of January), Washington DC 3rd to the 10th and then orlando 10th to the 20th of January.

booked most of my flights and accommodation. Leaving Feb 4th

NYC - 7 nights (getting a NYC pass, also going to a Brooklyn and Knicks game)
14 day contiki tour going from NYC to New orleans (few nights in Washington, down the east coast to Miami and Orlando. shitload of sightseeing, Disneyworld, JFK Space Station)
New Orleans for 1 night to recover
North Carolina - 2 nights (visiting a friend and she lives in some college town so there isnt much to do but hopefully there will be a party)
Berkeley - 3 nights (staying with another mate on the Cal campus and during the day will do all my sightseeing in San Fran)
Los Angeles - 4 nights (Got tickets to a Lakers game, UCLA basketball and LA Kings. Keen to spend a day at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Rest of the time chilling around Venice/Santa Monica and hopefully get some surfing done. Got a friend in Huntington beach but im not sure how close that is)

Just staying in hostels for the trip apart from when im staying with friends. Disappointed about not visiting Seattle or Indianapolis but i can always do that next time. Pacers tickets are so cheap compared to Lakers/Knicks/Nets. Also wish i was going to Austin, Chicago and Boston.

Is that the game on Dec 5th in Brooklyn? I got tickets to that game via Stubhub.

Leaving for States next Sat and will be 11th trip - doing Thanksgiving with friends in Boston. Going to the Patriots vs Broncos game at Gillette Stadium with them next Sunday - should be a hoot.

Doing New York and Vegas as well. Haven't been back to New York since 2004. Doing tour of Brooklyn Brewery which limits nos to 30 per tour and costs $8-. Still to finalise accommodation in NYC. I never tire of going to Vegas - some like to lounge on a beach, I go to Vegas to chill out.

For Alcatraz you might want to consider the night tour they open up more areas iirc that are usually closed during the day

You have to book a fair way in advance, but it is well worth it, if not for anything other than being able to see the sunset over the city.

Did the night tour just 3 days ago, they open the hospital up and do a cell door opening and closing as a demo too. I don't think either are done during the day.

We also did a programme on ghosts and myths of Alcatraz... I wish I didn't volunteer for being locked in solitary..... seriously have no idea how anyone survived a hour in there let alone 19 days.. I think I was locked in for a minute, but it felt like a hour...

For those interested just left Portland after a 3 night stay at a hostel, Portlands ok I guess but have been there a bit before and it was very drizzly, went to a college football game and thoroughly enjoyed it although there were only about 5 thousand there it was still fun, cheerleaders ftw, caught the train to Seattle and it was excellent, 60 bucks coach class and a buffet car so had pizza and beer which is my staple diet over here, staying at a hostel and we are doing a pub crawl, there is heaps to do and see and hope to get to the Boeing factory as well, will probably catch the train back down to LA by the weekend, 35 hours should be fun, will keep you posted, will also do a 'dead mans tour' whilst up here in Seattle, Hendrix, Bruce and Brandon Lee's graves and Kurt Cobains house.

Went to the EMP museum which is well worth the visit, a Jimi Hendrix exhibition plus a Nirvana one, also a cool sci fi, horror and fantasy section, went up the space needle and even though it is drizzling rain it is still a great view, my ticket is valid until 11:00 pm tomorrow so I will visit in the evening, tonight is monday night football at the Pike tavern, hostel is directly across from Pike market.

For those interested just left Portland after a 3 night stay at a hostel, Portlands ok I guess but have been there a bit before and it was very drizzly, went to a college football game and thoroughly enjoyed it although there were only about 5 thousand there it was still fun, cheerleaders ftw, caught the train to Seattle and it was excellent, 60 bucks coach class and a buffet car so had pizza and beer which is my staple diet over here, staying at a hostel and we are doing a pub crawl, there is heaps to do and see and hope to get to the Boeing factory as well, will probably catch the train back down to LA by the weekend, 35 hours should be fun, will keep you posted, will also do a 'dead mans tour' whilst up here in Seattle, Hendrix, Bruce and Brandon Lee's graves and Kurt Cobains house.

I think someone has hacked his account. I've never seen him write anything that isn't purely a troll lol.

Another update, did the underground tour of Seattle's Pioneer district very informative and funny as well, the story of Seattles early beginnings is remarkable, then followed that with a trip to the top of the Columbia Tower which is 70 floors up, great views obviously but alas no Mt Rainier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back