Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is sensational. Have read through the whole lot and got some great tips. :thumbsu:

Looking at travelling to the States for the first time around March next year as follows:
- LA for 4 nights staying at Banana Bungalow in West Hollywood (noticed a few people recommended Hollywood USA Hostel but the reviews on trip adviser etc weren't that flash)
- SF for 4 nights staying at Green Tortoise Hostel
- NY for 7 nights staying at Chelsea International
- Phili for 4 nights staying at Apple Hostel
- Washington for 4 nights staying at HI-Washington
- Back to NY for 6 nights possibly using AirBnb maybe upper/mid Manhattan
- Boston for 4 nights staying at HI-Boston
- LV for 5 nights staying at Hostel Cat for 2 nights then upgrading to a Hotel to finish the trip off

Do these proportions look accurate given the time spent in the country? Also, if anyone has stayed at these places before and have some feedback or have any other recommendations for places to stay in these cities would love to hear them.

You could skip Philly, to be honest. Not much going on.

HI Boston is almost brand new and very well equipped. Best hostel I've stayed in. Stayed at banana bungalows sister hostel the orbit a few years ago, it was pretty basic tbh but fine.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

I wish I'd found this thread earlier!

Got our honeymoon TOMORROW! Well, today even seeing as it's just ticked over midnight. Absolutely pumped!

Got our first 4 nights staying in Orlando at Disney World. Staying at DW in the French Quarter or something like that. From all the reviews I've read, it's supposed to be a pretty good place to stay, even for a young couple (30 and 26). Only doing the whole Disney thing as I've never been to any theme parks besides Disney Land in Paris, but that was crap. Have a 3 day pass for all of the parks. Well, I think it's a 3 park pass, but whatever.

Then after that we are in Miami for one night, then down to Fort Lauderdale to hop aboard the Oasis of the Seas cruise ship for 7 nights.

Would have been awesome to be able to spend more time in the US, but the now wife wasn't able to get anymore time off work unfortunately =(

Absolutely sucks too. While we are in Orlando, there is an NBA game in Miami. Then when we are in Miami, there is a game in Orlando. Terrible timing!! Same sort of thing with the NHL too (which I don't follow, but it still would have been cool to go there). Think there is a game in Tampa bay while we are in Orlando, but it's a fair drive.

So I've just noticed a few posts back about the Universal parks at Disney World. I'm guessing these have the best coasters and stuff? I've only ever been on one decent coaster before, so would love to have a crack at some more. And whatever other thrill rides. So any advice would be awesome thanks. We will definitely hit up Sea World for one of the days, so need to fill in the other two with some good rides.

Probably won't even venture out of the Disney area to be honest over those 4 days. The wedding this weekend has taken its toll, and we are absolutely stuffed. But if anyone can recommend something cool to do in Orlando I'd probably be up for it. We have a Cirque Du Soleil show on one of the nights too which should be cool.

Only the one full day in Miami, so will probably just spend that doing some shopping and wondering around the city. But once again, if there's any recommendations that would be cool thanks. I've been flat out watching Man vs Food lately, and have a real craving for their BBQ food (got hooked on ribs over in South Africa this year, amazing stuff!!), so want to try find the best joint to get a good meat fix.

Then the very next morning we go on the cruise. Was a bit iffy at first about doing the cruise, specially on a honeymoon, but after reading reviews, this is what I'm most looking forward to. Goes around the Caribbean down to Jamaica, Haiti and some other joint around Mexico somewhere. Only booked in for one day tour so far which is to the Dunns River Falls in Jamaica. Supposed to be pretty nice, then we go swim with some dolphins or something.

Probably spend the rest of the time on the ship and chill out. We've both had a massive year at work, so will be more than happy to just chill out on the pools on the ship for a week I reckon.

So yeah, any advice on anything here would be awesome thanks!

You know you're obsessed with QANTAS Frequent Flyer points when you book the Mandarin Oriental hotel for $500 and about 3,500 points, when I could've gone the MGM Grand across the road for $100 with only 100 points. :oops:

Though, after my trip to Europe (leave in 14 hours) and then America (10 months away), going with the extra option for more points, I'll have enough points for a return trip to Los Angeles.....

Also, 9/11 in New York.
Do you need to book to get to stuff down around the WTC?
'Cause I do guess there'd be high demand for people to get down there...
We were there on sept 12 this year and walked down from broadway. We couldn't get in on 9/11 because it was closed for friends and family. We went back the following day and walked in and paid out money. Was fantastic, unfortunately we were a month or so early for the museum that is opening up. Should be open now though. It was fantastically humbling place and the Americans have done the memorial area so well.

You could skip Philly, to be honest. Not much going on.
Looking at independence hall, liberty bell, the mint, rocky stairs, eastern state penitentiary, franklin square whilst in phili.
May take a night off from here and one from Boston and Washington and add Chicago to the agenda considering the feedback on this thread.

Hey guys, going to be in New York when the Boxing Day test is on and Vegas when the Sydney test is on. I've scoped out a place to watch the cricket in NYC, however have struggled to find anywhere on the net in Vegas.

Anyone aware of any Australian bars that may be showing it, as if this series is level coming into Sydney I'll definitely be doing my best to watch it?!

Where are we watching in NY? The Australian ?

Looking at independence hall, liberty bell, the mint, rocky stairs, eastern state penitentiary, franklin square whilst in phili.
May take a night off from here and one from Boston and Washington and add Chicago to the agenda considering the feedback on this thread.

Philly highlights can be easily done in one day. Two is you want to go slow and absorb it in. Apple hostel is very good choice.

I'll be going to America next year and I'm really worried that I'll get unlucky and won't be able to watch any sport. I'll be over there while the NBA and NFL are in season (early November), but if teams are playing away from home then I'm sorta stuffed.

I've already paid for accommodation, was there anyway around this or do you just have to get lucky? There is no schedule out for the 2014-2015 seasons obviously so I just have to hope the NBA and NFL teams are playing at home while I'm over there.

We've got the following sport/activities on….

Dec 20 - Anaheim at New Jersey (NHL)
Dec 21 - Memphis at New York (NBA), Ohio State vs Notre Dame at MSG (College Ball)
Dec 22 - Chicago at Philadelphia (NFL)
Dec 23 - Indiana at Brooklyn (NBA)
Dec 25 - I'm going to Chicago at Brooklyn and my mate is going to OKC at New York (Both NBA)
Dec 28 - Utah at LAC (NBA)
Dec 29 - Philadelphia at LAL (NBA) and either Afrojack or Nervo in LA.
Dec 31 - DJ Chuckie at Marquee Vegas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got the following sport/activities on….

Dec 20 - Anaheim at New Jersey (NHL)
Dec 21 - Memphis at New York (NBA), Ohio State vs Notre Dame at MSG (College Ball)
Dec 22 - Chicago at Philadelphia (NFL)
Dec 23 - Indiana at Brooklyn (NBA)
Dec 25 - I'm going to Chicago at Brooklyn and my mate is going to OKC at New York (Both NBA)
Dec 28 - Utah at LAC (NBA)
Dec 29 - Philadelphia at LAL (NBA) and either Afrojack or Nervo in LA.
Dec 31 - DJ Chuckie at Marquee Vegas

That's for this year though correct? How are you meant to plan for sporting events when the schedules aren't out yet?

That's for this year though correct? How are you meant to plan for sporting events when the schedules aren't out yet?

you cant. If your paying for accommodation more than a year in advance then you cant really expect everything to go your way. If your that desperate to watch live sport then it wouldve been easier to just book international flights now and wait till the schedules come out and then start to plan your trip. In cities like NYC and LA, its a bit easier with so many NBA and NHL teams so theres usually something happening every night in the winter months.

Yeah that's for this year.

Depends where you are planning on staying! If it's New York then there will always be an NFL game every week, and most main areas when the NBA team is out of town, the NHL side will have a home stretch of games. My best mate is a Philly Eagles fan & we are staying in New York. We got lucky in that Philly were playing at home whilst we are in NYC, Philly is only a 2 hour trip from NYC.

Where are you going to be staying?

Yep that's the one, wasn't far from where I was staying last time I was in NYC so did sneak in for a cheeky beer every so often. I'll definitely be there Christmas night, perfect timezone for it! You gunna be in NYC too?

Yeah I'm getting in on the 28th though. Will be watching day 1&2 at the mcg, then hopefully the last day at the pub :). Then the next test I'll have a full run at

Yeah I'm getting in on the 28th though. Will be watching day 1&2 at the mcg, then hopefully the last day at the pub :). Then the next test I'll have a full run at

Ah awesome, well enjoy! Depending on how the game is travelling I probably wont get there again, basketball tickets and the sights may get in the way!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back